'40 acres and a mule' for the 21st century.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:51:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  '40 acres and a mule' for the 21st century.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: '40 acres and a mule' for the 21st century.  (Read 6005 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:33:54 AM »

any minority that graduates high school with a gpa over a certain level, let's say 3.2, should be promised a spot in state university, with tuition, books, room and boards paid for by the state.

agree?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 07:39:35 AM »

At $50K+ per student for classes alone?  No way.  I could go with a $10K/year scholarship per student over 3.5, but nothing more than that.  And that is only if the state offsets the costs by reducing funding from somewhere else in the states spending to keep taxes the same.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:43:54 AM »

At $50K+ per student for classes alone?  No way.  I could go with a $10K/year scholarship per student over 3.5, but nothing more than that.  And that is only if the state offsets the costs by reducing funding from somewhere else in the states spending to keep taxes the same.

perhaps wed offset the cost by keeping young black males out of prison?

education=a good investment.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 07:47:27 AM »

No. For one thing, why only minorities? Poor white students deserve it less because they're white? And how are you going to gaurantee a spot in a state university? You couldn't very well determine which school they would go to, could you? I mean, you wouldn't send someone who wants to be an engineer to a liberal arts school, would you? I say leave off that requirement as schools should determine entry based on their standards of merit - with a 3.2 GPA there should be more than enough schools in state that would take everyone meeting the requirements.

Georgia has a good program by the way - it's called the HOPE Scholarship. Any student, regardless of race or family income, who graduates high school with a 3.0 GPA and maintains it during college has tuition paid for as well as a book stipend and fee stipend. It's paid for by the state lottery. Of course, if they tried to include full book cost as well as boarding costs it would go under because it would over double the cost, so boarding wouldn't be a good idea to cover.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:22:06 AM »

How about NO.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:23:37 AM »

any minority that graduates high school with a gpa over a certain level, let's say 3.2, should be promised a spot in state university, with tuition, books, room and boards paid for by the state.

agree?

It is highly unreasonable to place such a high bar on reparations, WalterMitty.  Most minorities do not perform well academically due to the violence perpetrated upon them by their betters in the social heirarchy.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 10:16:43 AM »

It is highly unreasonable to place such a high bar on reparations, WalterMitty.

0_o
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 10:43:25 AM »

agree?

You've already proposed this and people already hated you for it.

I wouldn't support it just for black people, maybe a scholarship for the 'financially disadvantaged' of all races makes more sense.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 10:52:51 AM »

agree?

It is highly unreasonable to place such a high bar on reparations, WalterMitty.  Most minorities do not perform well academically due to the violence perpetrated upon them by their betters in the social heirarchy.

What are you smoking today?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 11:14:51 AM »

by the way this wouldnt have to be entirely a government unded adventure.  id expect private corporations to step up to the plate.

maybe even smith&wesson would donate some money.  they (should) have a guilty conscience.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 03:04:28 PM »

Apply this proposal for all poor people then we'd be talking. doing it for just minorities? just... No.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 03:08:06 PM »

Georgia has a good program by the way - it's called the HOPE Scholarship. Any student, regardless of race or family income, who graduates high school with a 3.0 GPA and maintains it during college has tuition paid for as well as a book stipend and fee stipend. It's paid for by the state lottery. Of course, if they tried to include full book cost as well as boarding costs it would go under because it would over double the cost, so boarding wouldn't be a good idea to cover.

That's dumb, I think the college GPA is a lot more relevant than the HS GPA. Of course I might be a bit biased since I had a much higher college GPA than HS GPA.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 03:18:54 PM »

Not at all. Forcing colleges to accept people based soley on their race is discrimination. I think people lift minorities to a monolithic level in which they can no longer be touched by anyone.

Black comedians can tell white jokes, but a white comedian can't tell black jokes without being a racist. There are college funds specifically for certain races, but if there is a white college fund - that's racism. Try starting up "White Entertainment Televison".

I am a complete egalitarian, minorites were creatd equal like the rest of us...and they do deserve equality. Not superiority.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 03:53:04 PM »

That's dumb, I think the college GPA is a lot more relevant than the HS GPA. Of course I might be a bit biased since I had a much higher college GPA than HS GPA.

Look closer - one must maintain their 3.0 during college. Every 30 credit hours completed and at the end of every Spring semester you are re-eveluated for HOPE, and you can lose it, keep it, or get it back depending on your situation.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 04:30:17 PM »

agree?

In Texas the top 10% is guaranteed entry into state univerisities, which is unfair because of discrepncy between schools.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 04:44:03 PM »

Look closer - one must maintain their 3.0 during college. Every 30 credit hours completed and at the end of every Spring semester you are re-eveluated for HOPE, and you can lose it, keep it, or get it back depending on your situation.

The way you described it before, it seemed like a 3.0 HS GPA was required.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 06:53:40 PM »

This is perhaps your worst idea yet.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 08:23:47 PM »

agree?

Any person who can meet the entrance requirements for a state university should get tuition paid for for 4 years at that school so long as they stay off academic probation; I'd go for that. Given the ridiculously escalating cost of college and the massive amounts of debt that most graduates have upon graduation, I think this would more than pay for itself in making college a much more attractive option and in reducing this debt for students upon graduation. Education has so many benefits for society at so many levels.

But not just for minorities certainly, and not for books or room and board, either.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 08:35:04 PM »

agree?

First, define "minority."  Right there, you have a huge problem.

I completely disagree with giving 'minorities' (whatever that means) preferential treatment on college scholarships.  Scholarships should be based on academic performance and financial need, not ethnic background.

Honestly, I think it's condescending to presume that all 'minorities' are destitute and in need of financial help.  Many are doing quite well.  I had some friends who are black over to my house for Easter, along with some of my relatives, and the black people are richer than many of my white relatives.

The problem is looking at things in terms of race.  Also, a scheme like this is clearly unconstitutional.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 08:36:31 PM »

The way you described it before, it seemed like a 3.0 HS GPA was required.

To qualify initially it is - your first semester at college your college GPA is non-existant. Once you have taken 30 credit hours or ended a spring semester, only your college GPA is considered for continued eligibility.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 09:51:03 PM »

agree?

No.  That proposal is big government bigotry plain and simple.   
gumbiegirl007
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 10:01:07 PM »

All people that meet the basic requirements for college should have the opportunity to go.  Race shouldn't play a factor in that.  At some point in time the American public is going to have to stop having this sense of entitlement and start taking care of themselves, student loans are not a bad thing.  The government can't be expected to foot the bill for everything, and if that is going to be the expectation, people are going to have to pay a whole lot more in taxes.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 08:04:20 AM »

by the way this wouldnt have to be entirely a government unded adventure.  id expect private corporations to step up to the plate.

Maybe you should fund it since it was your idea.

BTW Do you ever have ideas based on Republican philosophy?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 08:16:52 AM »

Maybe you should fund it since it was your idea.

BTW Do you ever have ideas based on Republican philosophy?

um.  actually, dave, 40 acres and a mule was a republican idea.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 10:56:32 AM »

agree?

What are you smoking today?

I was obviously referring to poverty, subjugation, crime, imprisonment, etc.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies