I think this is how parties should nominate candidates for Prez. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:32:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  I think this is how parties should nominate candidates for Prez. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I think this is how parties should nominate candidates for Prez.  (Read 15151 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: June 18, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »

Let me suggest an alternative.

First, no more than one state in a region (northeast, south, midwest, west) may hold a delegate selction on a single day (this is to prevent a steamroller effect).

Second, the smaller states should get preference in the early selection process to offset the impact of money.  The formula for this is that delegate selection cannot begin in any jurisdiction before the first date of the month indicated in the following table (by delegate selection, I mean primary, caucus or convention), as indicated by the political size of the jurisdiction (state/dc/territority)

January                    No more than 4 congressional districts

February                  No more than 9 congressional districts

March                       No more than 17 congressional districts

April                          No more than 22 congressional districts

May                          No more than 44 congressional districts

June                         Any
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 01:11:23 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2007, 06:48:57 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

CARLHAYDEN, i definitely think your idea is a fresh and very good one, but there might be a couple problems.  though i love the congressional district idea, most states that have few districts (think plains states or states like new hampshire) don't have much in the way of minorities, and often tend to be more conservative.  liberals and minorities might not like that idea.  secondly, residents of the biggest states would definitely complain if you force them to wait until the very end of the primary season, california would be the only state ineligible to hold a primary before june.  but with a little tinkering, i think that plan could definitely be successful. 

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this.

The reason for giving the small states priority is that it reduces the effectiveness of money and media support, and gives the voters a chance to actually vet the candidates.

I still sympathize with Hubert Humphrey who compained in 1960 that he simply cound't compete with Jack's 'jack' (money).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »

CARLHAYDEN, i definitely think your idea is a fresh and very good one, but there might be a couple problems.  though i love the congressional district idea, most states that have few districts (think plains states or states like new hampshire) don't have much in the way of minorities, and often tend to be more conservative.  liberals and minorities might not like that idea.  secondly, residents of the biggest states would definitely complain if you force them to wait until the very end of the primary season, california would be the only state ineligible to hold a primary before june.  but with a little tinkering, i think that plan could definitely be successful. 

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this.

The reason for giving the small states priority is that it reduces the effectiveness of money and media support, and gives the voters a chance to actually vet the candidates.

I still sympathize with Hubert Humphrey who compained in 1960 that he simply cound't compete with Jack's 'jack' (money).

To update and amplify, there are a few other matters which would make the system more responsible.

First, primaries should be open ONLY to those affiliating at least 30 calendar days in advance of the primary with the party in whose primary they which to cast a ballot.

Second, I believe that all states with primaries should follow the example which Oregon had (and may still have) of allowing the candidates listed on the ballot to make a brief statement to the prospective voters to be included in the phamplet sent to the voters for a nominal fee.

Third, all government funded radio and television stations should be required to provided a modicum of coverage to all ballot qualified candidates.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »

Two men enters one man leaves. I like that system.

Sorry Verily, but as you can see, there a multiple candidates for the party nomination in both major parties (not just two).

Furthermore, it is not unusual for a candidate to 'lose' a primary and emerge stonger thereafter if he/she signicantly exceeded expectations.

Easy example is McCarthy losing in New Hampsire in 1968.  He lost to a write in candidate, but did better than expected.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies