Day 146: San Marino
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:06:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 146: San Marino
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 146: San Marino  (Read 790 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2006, 11:59:05 PM »

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sm.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »

It's the oldest Constitutional Republican in existance. The constitution is from 1600, but the country itself is much older.

Has its boundaries changed much?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 02:48:25 AM »

I wonder if San Marino has ever been involved in a war. I can't help but think of Bill Bryson's famous adage of how, when Liechtenstein went to war, they left with 80 men and came back with 81 because they'd made a friend along the way. Cheesy
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 12:07:56 PM »

San Marino is annoying for maps.  I say let's have Italy annex it so we don't have to deal with that little dot.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:52:42 PM »

I wonder if San Marino has ever been involved in a war. I can't help but think of Bill Bryson's famous adage of how, when Liechtenstein went to war, they left with 80 men and came back with 81 because they'd made a friend along the way. Cheesy

It was occupied by Germany during WWII after Italy surrendered and they invaded the northern party of it. Only a few weeks until the Allies chased them out though.

I wonder if you need a work visa to work in Italy if you live there, or vice-versa. Also how easy it is to get Italian citizenship. It'd be pretty lousy if you were born there (smaller than Mankato) and then couldn't ever move to Rome or Milan. Do they have to go through customs every time they go to Italy?

The reason it's not part of Italy btw, is during Italy's unification, it was basically the only democratic republic in what is now Italy, and as people who promoted unification were largely arrested and persecuted in their city states and fiefdoms, they usually fled to San Marino. In light of this, the new government of the unified Italian state opted to respect their government's wish not to annex them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies