Absentee Ballot procedure
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Absentee Ballot procedure
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is it legal to automatically send out absentee ballots year after year to elderly people who've requested them in the past, or should they have to request one each year?
Receive automatically

Request each year

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Absentee Ballot procedure  (Read 2098 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2006, 04:39:48 PM »

I put this on the Constitution & Law board b/c it seemed to fit there best, but since it can be discussed here too and didn't receive much attention there, I'll put it here.

I don't know how much publicity it got, but the reason I ask this, is that a Judge ordered the city of Detroit not to send out automatically after the '05 fraud with the City Clerk, Jackie Curry (http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0510/30/A01-365796.htm).  Some local cities are saying that ruling (made a week ago) applies to them, while others say it doesn't.  So I wanted some input.  Personally, I think they should have to re-apply each year (but the city can send out reminders).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 05:29:21 PM »

Option 1. Anyone get can permanent absentee ballots in California. If you miss more than 1 election, you have to re-request it.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 05:35:11 PM »

As I said on the other thread I believe the voter should have to request an absentee ballot every election cycle. I don't mind the election department sending out reminders weeks in advance to those persons who requested an absentee ballot for reasons of age or disability to make it as easy as possible for them to vote but I cannot fathom why ballots would be automatically mailed. If the voter had died since the last election the potential for fraud is just too great.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »

As I said on the other thread I believe the voter should have to request an absentee ballot every election cycle. I don't mind the election department sending out reminders weeks in advance to those persons who requested an absentee ballot for reasons of age or disability to make it as easy as possible for them to vote but I cannot fathom why ballots would be automatically mailed. If the voter had died since the last election the potential for fraud is just too great.

You do have to sign it and either mail it or return it yourself, or give special permission for someone to return it for you. As for voters dying, they could always check the SS death index before mailing out the blank ballot.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 05:39:27 PM »

BTW, I've now voted 3 elections in a row permanent absentee ballot.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 09:49:53 PM »

Option 1, so long as safeguards are in place to prevent fraud.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 10:08:11 PM »

Option 1. Anyone get can permanent absentee ballots in California. If you miss more than 1 election, you have to re-request it.

What happens if you die--opens up for fraud--that's what happened in Detroit.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:12 PM »

You do have to sign it and either mail it or return it yourself, or give special permission for someone to return it for you. As for voters dying, they could always check the SS death index before mailing out the blank ballot.

But why would a CORRUPT City clerk do that?  They're the ones cheating--so why try to not cheat as much?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:41 PM »

Option 1, so long as safeguards are in place to prevent fraud.

Like what though?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 10:10:25 PM »

BTW, I've now voted 3 elections in a row permanent absentee ballot.

OK, but you're actually voting--somebody's not voting FOR you b/c you're in a comma/dead.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 10:13:17 PM »

Option 2 -it is better than wasting paper sending absentee ballots to someone who has become a corpse, or has moved out. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 10:15:48 PM »

Option 2 -it is better than wasting paper sending absentee ballots to someone who has become a corpse, or has moved out. 

Another valid point--why waste tax-payer $$$.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 10:22:33 PM »

There definitely should be some way to automatically remove those who are deceased from the voting rolls. As jfern suggested, some sort of a check on their SSN.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 11:08:02 PM »

Gosh, that 50 cents a year per person we save will pay down the national debt in no time and pay for the $100 billion a year that the Paris Hilton tax cut will cost.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 11:45:19 PM »

Gosh, that 50 cents a year per person we save will pay down the national debt in no time and pay for the $100 billion a year that the Paris Hilton tax cut will cost.

Don't forget about the 500 billion dollar war in Iraq.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 11:51:27 PM »

There is a real problem.  Those records don't catch a recent death and are unlikely to catch someone that didn't pay into SS.  From what I've seen, it's a 3-6 month process. 

I don't have fiscal problem with sending out the ballots, but fraud can too easily occur.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »

There definitely should be some way to automatically remove those who are deceased from the voting rolls. As jfern suggested, some sort of a check on their SSN.

There is an automatic way--make them request it!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 11:49:58 AM »

But we're saving state tax $$--which we really need--although it isn't saving that much.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 12:06:23 PM »

I say make the person request it each year.

a)  Saves money by sending less forms
b)  Reduces chances for fraud
c)  If the elderly person cannot remember to request a ballot, then maybe they are not mentally capable of making a sound decision
d)  Reduces time when trying to do a handcount/verifying votes

etc

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 06:21:01 PM »

I don't follow your last point.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 07:08:48 AM »

I don't follow your last point.

When there are less absentee ballots handed out, the process to verify the information on all the returned ballots take less time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies