Day 148: Saudi Arabia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:12:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 148: Saudi Arabia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Day 148: Saudi Arabia  (Read 2709 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 01:18:09 PM »

Still even Iran has people calling for the overturning of the theocratic laws. There isn't any major movement of the sort to overturn Saudi Arabia's even worse laws.
There isn't a way to network. Saudi Arabia is a much worse dictatorship. But certainly there is popular support - not necessarily majority support, I don't know about that; probably noone in the world does - for allowing women to drive, for some form of alcohol legalization, if strictly controlled, probably for less barbaric execution practices as well.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
No. Forget it. Maybe in 1995. (Now - if the only alternatives were the continuation of the status quo and direct US takeover... you might be right.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 01:23:52 PM »

Still even Iran has people calling for the overturning of the theocratic laws. There isn't any major movement of the sort to overturn Saudi Arabia's even worse laws.
There isn't a way to network. Saudi Arabia is a much worse dictatorship. But certainly there is popular support - not necessarily majority support, I don't know about that; probably noone in the world does - for allowing women to drive, for some form of alcohol legalization, if strictly controlled, probably for less barbaric execution practices as well.

Well even if so, that just basically proves the point, if allowing women to drive, legalizing alchohol and making executions just a little less barbaric are the "liberal" stances, that just tells you about the place. And even you admit that may not have majority support.

No. Forget it. Maybe in 1995. (Now - if the only alternatives were the continuation of the status quo and direct US takeover... you might be right.)

What's changed since then? I suppose the media does overstate his support there though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 01:24:28 PM »

Well even if so, that just basically proves the point, if allowing women to drive, legalizing alchohol and making executions just a little less barbaric are the "liberal" stances, that just tells you about the place. And even you admit that may not have majority support.

What's changed since then? I suppose the media does overstate his support there though.
Bin Laden's reputation.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 08:01:40 PM »

Take a look at Iran, where being Islamist and anti-Western and being pro-Democracy and anti-establishment are not exclusive positions at all. Given the fairly strongly egalitarian nature of Islamic doctrine, and the West's track record in the region, this shouldn't really surprise. I would expect that a similar concept would probably sweep at free fair elections in Saudi Arabia as well.

Interesting.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies