"Democrat Party"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:27:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Democrat Party"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Democrat Party"  (Read 2423 times)
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »

Can anyone tell me exactly how calling it the "Democrat Party" is intended to be pejorative, apart from it just being incorrect? Is it the (harsh-sounding) "-rat" ending?
neostassenite31
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 09:21:05 PM »

Some 19th century thing. Also "democratic" is an adjective form of "democracy", which the GOP presumably didn't/doesn't like when it describes their opposition party
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »

Democratic can’t really function as a noun, while Republican can.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 11:12:25 PM »

It makes as much sense as calling the GOP the “Republic Party” as if that would somehow be an insult.

Conservatives are just really, REALLY bad at humor and wit.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 11:19:32 PM »

I never really got it.  The only things I can think of are:

A) It makes "democrat" into an identity, rather than the adjective "democratic."  We hate those democrats and their democrat party!  Helps listeners identify the party with the people they're trained to hate.

B) It sounds like "RAT" which is bad.

I don't think people really get why it's an insult anymore.  They all just keep saying it because Limbaugh said it was an insult so it must be so.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 01:10:53 AM »

They only say it to trigger the lib snowflakes and because grammar is for the elitists.

This is one of the many reasons why I believe the Republican Trump Party and its base has the mentality of a high school freshman.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 07:19:45 AM »

I've done it a few times, and not once on purpose.  I blame ignorance more than jerkishness.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 09:31:58 AM »

Democratic Party is a party of common political beliefs

Democrat Party is The Party of the Democrat. The Democrat is a designation applied to a person. It Others them.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 12:53:13 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2020, 03:48:51 PM by Del Tachi »

It is no more incorrect to say "Democrat Party" than it is to say "Iraq War."  Nouns are routinely used to modify other nouns (i.e., "race car" and "sports car", not "racing car" and "sporty car.") 

In everyday usage, it is perfectly normal to call a party full of Democrats a "Democrat Party."  The modern use of the term is a grammatical force of habit rather than a deliberate epithet.  The only people who dislike it are highly partisan Democrats (like Alben Barkley and GenMac) who should be worrying about better things, lol

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »

It is no more incorrect to say "Democrat Party" than it is to say "Iraq War."  Nouns are routinely used to modify other nouns (i.e., "race car" and "sports car", not "racing car" and "sporting car.")  

In everyday usage, it is perfectly normal to call a party full of Democrats a "Democrat Party."  The modern use of the term is a grammatical force of habit rather than a deliberate epithet.  The only people who dislike it are highly partisan Democrats (like Alben Barkley and GenMac) who should be worrying about better things, lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(epithet)

Maybe you should educate yourself and get your facts straight before you write a smug, completely incorrect rant or try to come at me again, lol.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 04:32:18 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2020, 04:36:27 PM by Del Tachi »

It is no more incorrect to say "Democrat Party" than it is to say "Iraq War."  Nouns are routinely used to modify other nouns (i.e., "race car" and "sports car", not "racing car" and "sporting car.") 

In everyday usage, it is perfectly normal to call a party full of Democrats a "Democrat Party."  The modern use of the term is a grammatical force of habit rather than a deliberate epithet.  The only people who dislike it are highly partisan Democrats (like Alben Barkley and GenMac) who should be worrying about better things, lol

Maybe you should educate yourself and get your facts straight before you write a smug, completely incorrect rant or try to come at me again, lol.

Check yourself, mate.  Nothing I said in my post is opposed to the information contained in  that Wikipedia article (which I have read before.)  Your reaction is only proving my point that use of "Democrat Party" is a hyper-partisan pet peeve, virtually no one (not even most Democrats!) care at all about this.  Republicans probably only continue using the term because Democrats like you dislike it, lol

There is nothing illogical or demeaning about a party full of Democrats being called the "Democrat Party."  The party full of Republicans is likewise called the "Republican Party."  At worse, use of "Democrat Party" is only discourteous in the sense that it is not actually the name of the organization to which the term refers.  If that's your beef with "Democrat Party" though, then I expect you to also stop referring to the "Know Nothings", "Populist Party" or "Dixiecrats" too. 
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »

Interestingly enough, the older Atlas elections results pages, up through the 1988 election, use the term "Democrat" in referring to the Democratic candidate.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 05:04:52 PM »

It is no more incorrect to say "Democrat Party" than it is to say "Iraq War."  Nouns are routinely used to modify other nouns (i.e., "race car" and "sports car", not "racing car" and "sporting car.")  

In everyday usage, it is perfectly normal to call a party full of Democrats a "Democrat Party."  The modern use of the term is a grammatical force of habit rather than a deliberate epithet.  The only people who dislike it are highly partisan Democrats (like Alben Barkley and GenMac) who should be worrying about better things, lol

I'm too lazy. Someone cc this into the irony oremine.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 05:19:54 PM »

Just to be obstinate and throw down a look at me tribal marker.
Allot like the anti-maskers really.

You might even call it virtue-signaling. Because every single accusation is a confession.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »

Meh, anyone who argues this is just nitpicking tbh.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »

“Republican Pollster Frank Luntz tested the phrase with a focus group in 2001, and concluded that the only people who really disliked the epithet were highly partisan Democrats.[10] Political analyst Charlie Cook attributed modern use of the term to force of habit rather than a deliberate epithet by Republicans.”
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 11:36:23 PM »

So this whole thing started with Rush Limbaugh as a way to describe pejoratively a party that he believed stood not for democracy but for its own existence and self-perpetuation.

Then it started getting used more by people who were confused and thought that was the actual name of the party, along with other Rush-like figures who picked up the term from him.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 01:20:05 AM »

“Republican Pollster Frank Luntz tested the phrase with a focus group in 2001, and concluded that the only people who really disliked the epithet were highly partisan Democrats.[10] Political analyst Charlie Cook attributed modern use of the term to force of habit rather than a deliberate epithet by Republicans.”
Type in “Democrat Party” into Twitter and you’ll see that the only people who use it are far-right nutjobs like James Woods and Qanoners who spend all of their time on Twitter sh**tting on the “Democrat Party”
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 02:09:02 AM »

They only do it because people let themselves get offended by it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 09:53:55 AM »

The source of this naming convention's second life is that Trump insiders convinced Trump that Democrats preferred to be known as the 'Democrat Party' (knowing full well of the earlier studies surely) when he naturally wanted to call it the 'Democratic Party' because it sounded much more 'elegant'. And he obliged in all his speeches. He had the most beautiful aside explaining this during his CPAC speech, and I call it the Democrat Party since that time for this reason.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »

The source of this naming convention's second life is that Trump insiders convinced Trump that Democrats preferred to be known as the 'Democrat Party' (knowing full well of the earlier studies surely) when he naturally wanted to call it the 'Democratic Party' because it sounded much more 'elegant'. And he obliged in all his speeches. He had the most beautiful aside explaining this during his CPAC speech, and I call it the Democrat Party since that time for this reason.
Only you would refer to Trump’s rambling off topic with the rather generous term “aside”.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 10:40:00 AM »

So this whole thing started with Rush Limbaugh as a way to describe pejoratively a party that he believed stood not for democracy but for its own existence and self-perpetuation.

Then it started getting used more by people who were confused and thought that was the actual name of the party, along with other Rush-like figures who picked up the term from him.

No.  It's use in referring to the U.S. Democratic Party long predates Rush Limbaugh
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2020, 12:35:19 PM by Virginiá »

Type in “Democrat Party” into Twitter and you’ll see that the only people who use it are far-right nutjobs like James Woods and Qanoners who spend all of their time on Twitter sh**tting on the “Democrat Party”

This is my issue with it - that people can't even have a discussion about politics or make simple political statements without throwing out subtle insults aimed at their opponents. It's not just people like Limbaugh or other talking heads. Republican politicians use it all the time (eg: Ted Cruz), from the local level all the way to Congress. Maybe Democrats in Congress should regularly refer to Republicans as "Rethuglicans." If Democratic pols said that as much as Republicans say "Democrat Party," they'd be whining about "liberal elites talking down to conservative voters" non-stop.

I don't really expect better of everyone - many of us, myself included, make snide remarks from time to time too, but most of us are not anyone important in the public sphere. I just wish people with actual influence could do a little better with their casual comments.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 01:13:42 PM »

It is no more incorrect to say "Democrat Party" than it is to say "Iraq War."  Nouns are routinely used to modify other nouns (i.e., "race car" and "sports car", not "racing car" and "sporty car.") 

No, it is incorrect because the name of the party is the "Democratic Party". 

"Democratic" is not a modifier, it is part of a proper name.  It is thus grammatically incorrect to just make up another proper noun to use instead.   You could say something like "the Democrats' party", but using "Democrat Party" is no more correct than just deliberately misspelling someone's name.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 01:16:55 PM »

It's a stupid Boomer thing. Free Republic and most right wing forums during the Clinton and Bush years would do the -rat thing emphasizing it, like saying "DemocRAT Party" or Jeanine Pirro recently saying "They're not Democrats...they're Demon Rats!" and thinking this was some savage owning.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies