My crazy, stupid views of the past...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:18:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My crazy, stupid views of the past...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: My crazy, stupid views of the past...  (Read 4961 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2006, 06:17:06 PM »
« edited: June 24, 2006, 06:18:49 PM by Supersoulty »

Oh... I noticed, I forgot the death penalty and the flat tax.

As for the Death Penalty... My attitude used to be "fry em," because if they were tried and convicted, they were as good as guilty.  And if they did it, they should pay.  Then, I slowly started to lose faith in the criminal justice system, which loosened my convictions on the issue.  Slowly, I started to grow an appriciation for nuance, which I never had before my Freshman year of college (everything used to be black and white for me), and changed my stance to only supporting it for people who were still seriously dangerous, even behind bars, terrorists and drug kingpins.

As for the flat tax... that is old.  We are talking, like, 1998 there.  I just supported it because people told me it was a good idea.  Now I support the graduated tax system.  Basically, my wealtier friends and family told me that a flat tax was a good idea, and being of a poorer immediate family, myself, I really couldn't grasp the kind of money other people were making.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

Ah, the old days. I used to be a loonatic. Tongue Well, I still am, but just on a different front. I've changed the most in social issues.

I used to be against gays serving in the military, adopting and marrying.

I was also against any form of narcotics legalization, including for medical reasons.

For a while I thought that banning alcohol was a good idea, and was very much opposed to lowering the drinking age.

I thought the government trying to censor "obscene" stuff on t.v. was a good idea.

That's about all I can think of right now. As for economics, I've moved from the Conservative area to the Libertarian front.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2006, 12:21:07 AM »

There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to any of this, other than what Sam Spade said.

I use to be real one way until one day I thought about it and now I'm totally like the other way.  I can't believe I use to be so stupid.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »

Now I believe that most of the people on this forum are simply looking for attention most of the time.  And they get it.

Have you stopped and considered for a moment how ridiculous it would be to seriously alter your political philosophy solely as an attention ploy on an Internet forum?

As your post is likely partially directed at me among others due to my recent thread on abortion, if you really think I'm an "attention whore", why didn't I post a thread about my religious views when they changed a few months ago?  Simple, because I didn't find it relevant to the forum.  As you would have it I would just post a thread every time I changed my mind on something, because I'm an attention whore.  Do you know what the "Individual Politics" forum is for?

This is one of the unintentionally funniest posts in a long while. Cheesy
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »

I used to be a libertarian and would hold provocative border-line fascist views on some issues because I was fed up with the PC nanny-like teachers that surrounds one  in Swedish schools. I gradually grew more compassionate and matured and has moved steadily left on economic issues. After a long period of agnosticism I also came to believe more firmly in Christiainity, and that has made a little less libertarian on social issues.

I haven't really changed a lot since I became interested in politics though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies