Granholm's Veto of the Law to repeal the MI helmet law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:28:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Granholm's Veto of the Law to repeal the MI helmet law
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How will Granholm's veto of the law to repeal the MI helmet law affect her in the election?  Do you agree with her veto?  (Select one from the 1st 7 options and one from the last 2 options)
->5%

-2.1-5%

-<2%

No effect

+<2%

+2.1-5%

+>5%

I agree with her veto (helmets should be required)

I disagree with her veto (Helmets shouldn't be required)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Granholm's Veto of the Law to repeal the MI helmet law  (Read 2456 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2006, 05:52:43 PM »

She just vetoed it today, and we debated it in the General U.S. Discussion, so I'm curious what you think.  Personally I think that she'll probably lose about 3%, b/c people don't want to wear them, but also don't like the tickets (where it really hurts her); however, I agree with her veto.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »

I can't see why this would be a big issue, but I'm not that familiar with Michigan politics so my opinion is flawed.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 06:29:58 PM »

this won't have an effect on the election or a really small one.

Inks.LWC  your from Wayne county too!!!!!!!!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:46:14 PM »

I can't see why this would be a big issue, but I'm not that familiar with Michigan politics so my opinion is flawed.

Here's the effect--we have laws and laws that are costing (bad) drivers more and more $$, but are roads are worse than dirt roads (9iron will confirm this).  I think people are going to see this as just another way for the state to make more $$, but not put it to good use.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 07:57:37 PM »

I doubt much opinions will change. People already have opinions of Granholm and this veto will not change them for the better or worse.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 08:06:51 PM »

while ive endorsed the mlm scammer in the november election, i applaud granholm for the veto of such a senseless bill.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 08:28:44 PM »

This veto will likely have no effect on the election, but I personally disagree with her veto.  If people wish to risk their lives that is their business, and I have heard from many bike (motor) riders that wearing the helmet often makes it dangerous for them to ride because it alters their senses in a negative way.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 12:45:29 AM »

I have heard from many bike (motor) riders that wearing the helmet often makes it dangerous for them to ride because it alters their senses in a negative way.

Are they wearing it on their head or smoking it?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 12:57:56 AM »

This veto will likely have no effect on the election, but I personally disagree with her veto.  If people wish to risk their lives that is their business, and I have heard from many bike (motor) riders that wearing the helmet often makes it dangerous for them to ride because it alters their senses in a negative way.

How does it alter their senses, other than MAYBE sound?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 01:00:02 AM »

I choose no effect.  Most people are comfortable with the law.  My second choice would be a little bit of negative effect if she passed it.  It is a non partisian issue as we found on your other thread.  This would have been a major foot in the door for Mr. DeVos as he could say he wanted to keep Michiganders safe.  I think only a handfull of people want it repealed and they kick up a stink every year.  One thing for sure, the insurance industry is so in favor of the helmet law, that I doubt any legislator or governor could resist the lobbying.

The insurance industry's support of it is one of the best reasons to oppose it if you ask me.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 04:14:16 AM »

Just curious--where do you live?
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 03:37:01 PM »

Just curious--where do you live?

Plymouth
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 09:58:04 PM »

Inks, as I'm sure your definitely concerned about the next election, why is there a knee-jerk poll for every minor action or quote?  Lot of these things don't matter in the 'grand scheme'.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 05:04:42 PM »

I have no familiarity whatsoever with Michigan politics, but given the facts given so far, I support her veto.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 07:21:34 PM »

I have no problem with self-rights and personal freedeoms at all, except when I have to pick up the tab.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 11:09:22 PM »

Inks, as I'm sure your definitely concerned about the next election, why is there a knee-jerk poll for every minor action or quote?  Lot of these things don't matter in the 'grand scheme'.

I don't hink there's a poll for every minor action or quote.  I posted this almost a week ago, and I don't think anything since.

If anybody cares, here's that Mike Thompson cartoon:
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 11:55:45 PM »

I tend to not get too excited about the insurance industry either.

Of course, since it did pass the house and senate, only a governor stands in the way of its repeal.

I have to disagree about saying that it is ones own business on several fronts.

For one, the cost to society in $$$$ is enormous.  While many tend to say that lawsuits are raising health insurance cost.  It is catastrophic claims that strain our healthcare costs more than anything else (or, so I learned from a healthcare administrator).  A rider involved in a severe closed head injury costs insurance companies huge sums of money which gets passed on to us.  And of course, they wouldn't want to dip into those outrageous prifits, so they raise the rates for you and I.  Those without insurance will raise the cost of hospital opperations because many, if not most, will not pay their bills.  Those on state assistance will, of course, effect our taxes in the long run.

Second, the human effect is is enormous.  Anybody who has ever cared for someone with a severe head injury can tell you this.  No matter what side of the Terry Scheivo case you are on, this is what you can end up with.

These cases are assuming that you live, of course.

My neighbors are big time bikers and very serious about their helmets.  They tell me that they do impair your orrientation a little, but like anything else, you get used to it.  It is a small price to pay, just to not have the wind in your hair.

I'd strongly support taking all of the money currently spent on enforcement of the seat belt and helmet laws and use it for education campaigns to persuade people about how stupid it is to not wear a seat belt or not use a helmet. And of course children should be required to use both.

Since removal of these laws would result in a loss of revenue for the police, I'd support a slightly higher income tax (especially for those on the higher end of the spectrum) to make up for the lost revenue.

But I just think that punishing people for not wearing a belt or a helmet is the exact wrong way to go about reducing these behaviors. Carrots are far more effective than sticks as a solution to this problem.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies