Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2017, 10:52:31 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Alcon, Torie, AndrewTX)
| | |-+  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 294234 times)
The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 30, 2017, 10:25:14 pm »
Ignore

Social Issues

Abortion:
-Pro-choice
-Personally pro-life, but wouldn't consider banning
-Defund Planned Parenthood

LGBTQ+ Rights:
-Strongly in favor of
-Anyone can use whichever bathroom they want

Guns:
-Expand background checks
-Prevent criminals and mentally challenged from getting guns

Religious Freedom:
-Protect it
-While I do not believe gay marriage conflicts with religion, others do, and government shouldn't force bakers to bake the cake, for example

Immigration:
-Strengthen border control
-Amnesty for illegal immigrants
-Do not cancel or restrict H1-B visas

Death Penalty:
-Don't like it, but it's necessary in some cases

Confederate Flags/Monuments:
-Despise them
-In favor of states removing them and placing them into museums or other designated "historical" sites

Drugs:
-Let states decide on medical and recreational marijuana
-Personally against decriminalization of drugs

Education:
-Abolish Common Core
-Give more power to state and local governments
-Severely restrict or get rid of Department of Education
-Pro-school choice

Affirmative Action:
-Against
-Contributes to higher minority drop-out rates
-Discriminates against non-minorities

Economic Issues

Taxes:
-Impose flat tax of 10%-20%

Trade:
-Pro-free trade, but ensure that such trade doesn't hurt Americans and American businesses and industries
-Re-negotiate NAFTA

Minimum Wage:
-Increase to $10.10
-Look to increase further over time

Foreign Policy

NATO:
-Strongly in favor of
-Push for other nations to meet spending requirements

United Nations:
-Scale back U.S. involvement, especially in light of UN's  aggressive approach towards Israel

Israel:
-Strongly in favor of
-Continue supplying with foreign aid
-Help improve and fund defense technology
-Move U.S. embassy to Jerusalem

Nations I Am Strongly Against:
-Russia
-Iran
-North Korea

Interventionism:
-Against
-Stay out of Syrian Civil War

Defense/Military Spending:
-Increase

Environmental Issues

Climate change:
-Real
-Caused naturally and by humans
-Place and keep on restrictions that limit carbon dioxide output

Renewable energy:
-Invest in solar and wind power
-Phase out fossil-fuel usage

Electoral Reform and Government

Presidential Elections:
-Abolish Electoral College
-Enact two-round popular-vote system (France's system is the best example)

House Elections:
-Very, very slightly in favor of proportional voting system

Redistricting/Gerrymandering:
-Strongly in favor of independent redistricting commissions

Term Limits:
-Two six-year terms for senators
-Four two-year terms for representatives

isidewith.com Results

Party: 56% Republican
Ideology: Centrist

Moderate Republican

Gay Republican
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 29, 2017, 09:40:07 am »
Ignore

Just copying the format of the poster before me
Social Issues

Abortion:
Definitely Pro-Choice but not Pro-Abortion (an issue I really had with the Clinton campaign).  Planned Parenthood should have full funding but there needs to be a lot more emphasis towards alternatives like adoption (perhaps giving tax credits to adoptive parents?).  This is one issue I strongly disagree with the Republican orthodoxy on and the sooner we move away from the pro-life position we'll be able to do much better in suburbs and among educated professionals.

LGBTQ+ Rights:
Obviously in favor of.  I do disagree with the Trumps Administration's recent decision that sexual orientation is not protected by federal anti-discrimination laws.  As for the whole bathroom issue thing?  The only thing disturbing about it is people thinking about what genitalia the person taking a dump next to them has.  When I use a restroom I'm thinking about taking care of business, not whether or not there is a dickless man stalking me.  And obviously anybody who is willing to give their life in service to our country deserves to be in the armed forces.

Guns:
Okay with basic background checks but in general support the right to bear arms.  People shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to get basic self-defense for their home or person.  It is a cruel reality but if you live in a major urban area you have to be prepared to defend yourself.  You can't escape all violence just because you live in "the good part of town" or there are police cars around every corner.  The police aren't there to prevent you from getting mugged, they are only there to report the crime after it happens.

Religious Freedom:
As long as said religion is non-violent and doesn't try to force their morality on people it should be given the same rights to practice as other religions.  If it's a religion with moderates and radicals in it obviously we shouldn't ban the practice of it however it should not be an insane idea that occasionally police and federal law enforcement officials investigate places of worship and various sects.  I definitely am not one of those Republicans who thinks Islam is conspiring to take over America but we should stop blaming ourselves and racism and start considering that maybe there is a (again) radicalized and violent portion of Islam in this country that seeks to hurt people.

Immigration:
Not an easy fix.  I think The Wall was an overkill idea.  We already had a border fence put up about a decade ago, what happened to that?  I think a much easier solution would be to have law enforcement officials enforce the laws they have on the book instead of creating more draconian laws that officials are going to ignore anyway.  That said this country is not some free-for-all that people can just come over to and give nothing back in return.  If you are going to live here you better be ready to contribute.  WE should continue to issue work visas and the like (if not increase them) and help immigrants find jobs to support and legitimatize their status.  Okay with amnesty if the people naturalized promise to find jobs and stay in the US for at least 10 years.

Death Penalty:
Strongly Support.  Let's dispel with this notion that there aren't evil people in this world who just had a bad life.  There are terrible evil people.  People who lack a conscience and wouldn't think twice about breaking into your house and killing everybody in it (including the dog).  That is why we have the death penalty.  So while a lot of you are guilt ridden over the prospect of some mass murderers blood being on your hands I can guarantee you many of them sleep like a freaking baby after what they do.

Confederate Flags/Monuments:
Not a fan of them.  If a government entity wants to remove them from government owned property they should be able to do that just like a private entity would.  Private citizens should have the right to fly the flag if they want to.  Frankly the Confederate Flag issue is the Flag Burning issue of our times.  Nobody cares.

Drugs:
Legalize Marijuana NOW!!!!!!  It's a harmless drug, it helps people with cancer treatments, and prohibition has only resulted in overcrowded prisons and fatherless neighborhoods.  How can anybody seeing those results conclude there is anything "just" about our drug laws?  We should be prosecuting real criminals, like those monsters who sell actual dangerous sh*t like heroin to children.

Education:
Definitely should be more authority given to state and local governments.  I'm definitely not a fan of the national testing standards tests or one size fits all solutions like Common Core.  Public school teachers definitely need a lot more independence in their course materials so that they can with their own unique perspectives encourage kids to think critically and independently.  Route education is BAD for this country.

Affirmative Action:
I'm sure it had a purpose at one time but now days not so much.  That and I'm not comfortable with some of the inherent racial implications in AA policy, namely the idea that blacks and Hispanics are just stupid or Asians having to score higher on the test due to some IQ algorithim.  Ideally this needs to be reworked from having race as a qualifier to being income based.  A lot of working class people do not have the time or the energy to fully dedicate themselves to studying to get the best grades in school vs. upper class kids who are practically coached on how to get the highest test scores possible to get into the best schools possible.

Economic Issues

Taxes:
I'd say keep taxes kind of where they are at.  The issue isn't really with the revenue we're getting but more with how it's being used.  We need to get much smarter with how we allocate our resources so that each tax dollar is being used efficiently.  However, I definitely do not support the old logic of pushing reduced taxes to force people to reduce spending because that has been proven to not work and be counterintuitive.

Trade:
Pro-Free Trade in theory.  We need to do a much better job negotiating trade agreements rather than just getting them pushed through for the publicity.  We definitely should not return to protectionism (which didn't prevent millions from losing their jobs during the Great Depression) but it's becoming clearer that Free Trade isn't the silver bullet solution people made it out to be.  There are obviously benefits and drawbacks to it.  A more balances approach like Fair Trade might be ideal policy.

Minimum Wage:
Should be indexed to the cost of living.  With the explosion of housing costs we can't continue having an economy where someone earning $10/hr is expected to somehow live in an area where the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is $1500 a month.  However, we shouldn't push for a $15 minimum wage in an area where that wage is practically middle class.  Again, we need realism in our economic policies and not just Talking Points liberal or conservative solutions to everyday problems.

Foreign Policy

NATO:
Definitely in support of.  We also need to encourage other countries in NATO to increase spending so that our defense networks over the Atlantic and the Mediterranean is much stronger.  I want to emphasize though that NATO needs to be a strictly defensive organization and not one that goes into the business of nationbuilding.

United Nations:
Mixed.  The UN Peacekeeping Forces are a vital part of the UN in intervening in humanitarian crises in Africa, Southeast Asia, and other parts of the third world.  However, in a lot of cases the UN has also made some joke decisions and it's bias in regards to some countries (especially Israel) is suspect.  We should stay involved and assert our right to protest bad decisions by the UN Security Council.

Israel:
I support Israel.  For all of the bad things a lot of activists say about it it is still one of a very few areas in the Middle East where LGBT individuals can live safe and free lives.  Obviously as a gay man I consider that an important factor, especially considering a lot of the radical Muslim countries surrounding it have extreme anti-LGBT laws (some even consider engaging in homosexual relations to be a capital crime, meaning death).  Israel also has a lot more respect for civil liberties and democratic institutions.  With that said we should take a lead in encouraging Israel to find more humanitarian solutions to the Palestinian issue rather than just resettling them in the Gaza Strip.  The US should continue to provide financial, military, and humanitarian aid to Israel.

Interventionism:
Against as a general rule of thumb.  We're still paying the consequences for our intervention into Iraq in 2003 and now a lot of the Middle Eastern's problems are spilling over into Europe.  Generally when you break something you fix it.  That wasn't done when we left Iraq.  Ideal military policy should only be focused on defending us and our allies from external attacks.  There is no such thing as a "defensive invasion".

Defense/Military Spending:
We need to be much smarter with defense policy.  It does not look good when Congress is taking years to get a good healthcare policy down but will thrown hundreds of billions of dollars to a fighter jet program.  We need to scale back on our military presence overseas and bring a lot of those troops back home where they can contribute to help building our communities.
First Degree Burns
Firstdegreeburns
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 30, 2017, 01:20:42 pm »
Ignore

Ideology : Moderate republican

Abortion: Pro-choice for the first trimester. Only exception after is if the life of the mother is in danger.

Same-Sex Marriage: Strongly support.

Drugs: Legalize marijuana, for medical use, leave recreational to the states.

Death Penalty: Criminals deserve a harsh punishment, but lifetime in jail is a better solution.

Gun Control: Self defense is a basic right, but obviously support background checks.

Affirmative Action: Does not work. Oppresses minorities even further.

Political correctness: Complete bulls***. Gets people killed.

Prostitution: I don't care.

Euthanasia: Nobody should have to go through pain. Allow it.

Immigration: Mostly right-wing. We need to know who we're taking in. Strongly pro-immigration but against illegal immigration. Building a wall wouldn't be 100% effective. Allow Syrian refugees in after extreme vetting.

Muslim Ban: AKA a temporary travel ban from several violent countries.

Minimum Wage:  Increase by a little, but adjust to inflation. Make sure businesses aren't harmed by it.

Universal Basic Income : Not a good idea.

Energy: Nuclear is our best bet in the long run. Clean energy is good.

Foreign policy: Mostly non-interventionist.

ISideWith results: 57% Libertarian, 52% Republican, 51% Constitution, 47% Green, 44% Democratic

73% Jeb!, 72% Trump, 63% Johnson, 54% McMullin, 43% Castle, 35% Clinton, 33% Stein

Economic score: +2.8
Social score: -1.2
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:05:36 pm by First Degree Burns »Logged

Proudconnh
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.29, S: 3.83

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »
Ignore

Basically a Libertarian Traditionalist (I only sort of made that up), with a strong support for Agrarianism. I always find myself in opposition to the government of the day. I am basically a political malcontent. To quote Wikipedia on the Tory party following the General Election of 1747:

"The Tories had become an irrelevant group of country gentlemen who had resigned themselves to permanent opposition."

So that is me, an irrelevant Burkean Conservative who is in permanent opposition, a conscientious objector to the 21st Century.
Jacobin American
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 04, 2017, 08:01:20 am »
Ignore

Ted Bessell
tedbessell
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 04, 2017, 03:10:21 pm »
Ignore

Don't remember if I ever posted this, but here goes. Format, and some planks, borrowed from Scott.

Ideology
Social: Libertarian-ish
Economic: Social democrat
Foreign Policy: It's complicated
Political Registration: Democratic in CA (PreReg)

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-choice. Oppose mandatory counseling/waiting periods. Oppose the Hyde Amendment. Support protection of late-term abortions, as they are extremely rare and almost always occur in cases where there's a medical necessity.

Same-Sex Marriage: Strongly support, as well as measures to protect the access of LGBT access to the same services as straight people.

Conversion Therapy: Ban it, for obvious reasons.

Transgender Issues: Support allowing transgender people to use the restroom corresponding to their gender, and their right to serve in the military if they so choose.

Drugs: Legalization of marijuana, for the time being, as well as decriminalization of some of the harder stuff. I'd be open to legalizing those other drugs after we get a broader view of how pot legalization works out over the next few years.

Death Penalty: Oppose unconditionally.

Gun Control: Oppose bans on assault weapons and gun registries. Support reasonable magazine/clip limits. Support open carry in some places, concealed carry in fewer places. Support mandatory gun safety features, background checks, and closing the gun show loophole.

This should, of course, be very localized. I would support some kind of regular test of psychological stability and knowledge of gun safety, like how you have to renew your driver's license, but this is probably not politically feasible.

Affirmative Action: Bigly support -- it's a way to give underserved communities a leg up, and more diversity on campuses is a good thing.

Prostitution: I don't really think it's the government's job to legislate this sort of thing, and I could support this as long as it's monitored to make sure that the prostitutes are there voluntarily and contraceptives/condoms are used.

Euthanasia: Ambivalent. Suffering through terminal illness is awful, but I also don't believe that people have a right to end their life, and I think that it's immoral to end the life of another.

Immigration: Create a pathway to citizenship for all non-violent undocumented immigrants. Deport or imprison violent undocumented immigrants. Offer free English courses, and require basic knowledge as a prerequisite to citizenship, but oppose making English the "official language" of the United States. Prosecute businesses that hire and exploit illegal immigrants out of good wages. Expand legal immigration (H1Bs, green cards, etc) drastically, and remove steps from the bureaucracy required for admission.

Police Issues/Black Lives Matter: I strongly support the goals of BLM and police reform. Require body cameras and accountability. Encourage community policing.  The justice system should be reformed so that officers are held accountable - no more "blue shield."

Free Speech/Political Correctness: Some level of "political correctness" as a social norm is necessary to keep politics from descending into a blithering mass of personal hatred and bigotry, but I support the right of anyone to say anything and my right to call them a hateful asshole for saying it. Tongue

School Prayer: I don't think it's really appropriate, but religious clubs are alright.

Muslim Ban: Islamaphobia is wrong and so are religious litmus tests period.  Anyone who's willing to assimilate into the culture and be a productive member of society should not be disqualified from entering the United States.

PATRIOT ACT/NSA Spying: Completely and unconditionally opposed to warrantless wiretapping. Privacy is a human right.

TSA: Abolish it. Let airports/airlines manage their own security in accordance with federal standards.

Economic Issues
Minimum Wage: Establish a national living wage of $15 per hour set to rise with inflation.

Welfare: Safeguard and expand the welfare state. Ensure food security for all Americans, provide adequate living assistance, paid maternity and paternity leave of at least 1 year each, paid sick leave, 2 weeks guaranteed paid holidays, and subsidized childcare and universal pre-k. Implement a UBI for economic stability and general welfare.

Social Security: Lift the taxable income cap.  Social Security is solvent until 2033 and there is no “crisis.”  Ideally, the retirement age would be lowered so as to expand job opportunities for young people.

Healthcare: I would support a single-payer/Medicare-for-all program. Currently I’m most in favor of a nationwide “public option” or Medicare buy-in program, as well as co-ops or Germany-style “sickness funds,” to compete with private insurance companies.

Allow drug imports from Canada and countries which tightly regulate their drug markets for safety. Subsidize families that spend more than a certain portion of monthly income on prescription drugs, either through reimbursement or tax credits.

Globalization/Trade: I think free trade is a net plus for the economy, but

Deficit/Debt: Maximize efficiency, streamline all governmental agencies, consolidate agencies and eliminate redundancies, abolish the NSA, slash the military and defense budget, focus on implementing cost saving technologies, and make it publicly available and readily accessible to see where all funds are going, the budgets of every agency and department, and who voted for what funding.

Campaign Finance Reform: Amend the Constitution to exempt political contributions from free speech, and allow Congress to establish reasonable regulations and (possibly) publicly fund campaigns.

Unions: Strongly support. Completely overturn the Taft-Hartley Act, strengthen public and private sector unions, and abolish all right-to-work laws.

Energy: Invest heavily in green energy with the intent of revolutionizing our energy sector. Incentivize businesses and individuals to go green with tax breaks, implement cap and trade, partially nationalize all companies exploiting our natural resources, and begin reducing fracking and offshore drilling by gradually restricting permits. Retrain workers on the fossil fuel sector and help them transition to other jobs.

Job Creation: Invest in a massive infrastructure redevelopment program a la Roosevelt's public works programs. Heavily incentivize businesses to create jobs in underprivileged areas, both rural and urban. Expand broadband to all people, including rural areas.

Education: More autonomy for schools and teachers over curriculum, ideally by reducing the effects of standardized testing on said schools. Free tuition for public universities and pre-k, and no ban on homeschooling.

Taxes: Reduce the corporate tax rate, while closing loopholes and such. Sales taxes should be minimal, and income taxes should be very progressive.

Foreign Policy
Basically, the U.S. should play an active role in the liberal order. We should respond proportionally to humanitarian crises on a case-by-case basis, and prevent singular actors from gaining hegemony over their regional neighbors and our allies via bullying. However, most of the failed military ventures by the U.S. post-WWII can be explained by a failure to decide where the best theater to prevent said aggression is, so caution is extremely important.

Trump has made a habit of raising a middle digit to reality, turning that middle digit into a knife, and stabbing reality through the heart.
fhtagn
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 15, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »
Ignore

Social Issues

Abortion
- Personally wouldn't have an abortion
- Do not support bans under 20 weeks
- Pro-choice until point of viability, after that point only in extreme cases of risks to the mother or baby
- Support Planned Parenthood

LGBTQ+ Rights
- Support same sex marriage and adoption
- Sexual orientation should be protected by anti-discrimination laws
- Anyone can use whichever bathroom they wish
- Do not support conversion therapy
- No issue with LGBTQ+ citizens in the military

Guns:
- Support background checks
- Prevent those who are unfit from obtaining a gun (ex. extreme cases of mental/psychological disability, those who have a record of violent crime - especially gun related charges, etc.)
- Do not support gun bans and magazine limits
- Do not support registries
- Support both open and concealed carry

Drugs
- Support full legalization of marijuana
- Support decriminalization of harder stuff, prefer focusing on addiction as a mental illness vs. a crime

Religious Freedom
- Should be protected
- The government should not force citizens or businesses to operate against their religious views

Death Penalty
- Generally oppose, but do support for extreme cases where the crime is especially heinous and there is no doubt about who committed the crime (ex. serial killers, terrorists, etc.)

Euthanasia
- Support as long as the patient is terminally ill and expected to live 6 months or less
- Patient must be of sound mind to make the decision, must not be a result of mental illness
- Doctor cannot be forced to perform the procedure, but should be able to recommend one who will

Prostitution
- Should be legal as long as all participants are of legal age and consent to the act
- Ensure contraceptives/condoms are used and ensure regular STD testing takes place

Immigration
- Create a pathway to citizenship for all non-violent immigrants, deport ones who are violent
- Oppose making English official language, but basic knowledge should be required
- Support expansion of legal means of immigration
- Protect illegal immigrants by prosecuting businesses and individuals who take advantage of them for low wages and bypassing other labor laws

Affirmative Action
- Oppose
- I do acknowledge how it has benefited minorities, however there are many issues I personally find with it today.
- Presently feel the issue more of a class/income divide rather than race
- Encourages reverse discrimination/racial tension
- Devalues personal achievement, lowers standards, and holds people less accountable

Confederate Flags/Monuments
- History should not be erased, do not support removing
- Should be protected from desecration
- Would prefer a plaque or sign placing them in context vs removal or placement in museums
- If people want to fly it, let them fly it.

Political Correctness
- Some arguments make sense, but people these days take it too far
- Know your audience and try not to be a jerk
- It's not that serious

Economic Issues

Minimum Wage
- Should be increased, but rate should determined based on cost of living in the areas where people reside, though support keeping a reasonable federal minimum wage to avoid people being taken advantage of
- Should take into account whether or not someone has dependents
- Adjust with inflation
- Businesses should not be placed at risk

Trade
- Free trade is great in theory, but we would be better off re-negotiating and doing a better job with future deals so American businesses and industries are not harmed.
- Support tariffs on select imports to protect American industries.

Taxes
- No huge issues with current tax rates, though we need to be better about how we are using the money
- Simplify the tax code to make it easier for people to understand

Unions
- I acknowledge that they do very good things for workers, but they also do terrible things, too.
- Limit their powers, crack down on corruption
- Support right to work

Social Security
- Raise the retirement age
- Allow for the most benefits to go to lower income individuals, reduce benefits to those who are in higher income brackets.

Foreign Policy

Russia/NATO
- Pro-NATO
- Do not support strengthening ties with Russia while Putin is in power.

Radical Islam
- Do not support Muslim ban, but support improving screening process
- Terrorist organizations should be taken seriously, empower countries where they are occupying to drive radicals out on their own. Hold them accountable, we should not be in charge of policing the world.

Israel
- Both sides have done bad things, but I generally find Israel to be less bad.
- Overall support, but we should not tolerate when they do terrible things.

Iran
- Not a huge fan of the deal, but we would be worse off scrapping it

Environment

Climate Change
- Climate change is real, is one of the most serious threats facing our nation and our planet today.
- Caused both by humans and is natural
- In favor of putting in place limits on carbon dioxide output

Renewable Energy
- Support investing in solar, wind, and hydroelectric power.
- Support phasing out of fossil fuel usage
- Support other forms of clean energy (such as nuclear) until renewable sources are economically feasible.

Healthcare

Universal Healthcare
- Support universal healthcare
- Mixed feelings, but lean opposed to single payer

Medicare
- I realize how people benefit from it, but it is currently unsustainable.
- Take necessary measures to reduce spending, but avoid hurting the people who most need it.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:25:15 am by fhtagn »Logged

FF, but #FhtagnLiedAndTheProletariatDied.
00:56 <PiT1> fhtagn is basically the female William F. Buckley now
00:56 <Leinad> William Fhtgan Buckley
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout