Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 06:53:30 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Alcon, Torie, AndrewTX)
| | |-+  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 295830 times)
First Degree Burns
Firstdegreeburns
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 30, 2017, 01:20:42 pm »
Ignore

Ideology : Moderate republican

Abortion: Pro-choice for the first trimester. Only exception after is if the life of the mother is in danger.

Same-Sex Marriage: Strongly support.

Drugs: Legalize marijuana for medical use, leave recreational to the states, but wouldn't personally want it to be legalized.

Death Penalty: Criminals deserve a harsh punishment. Do it in rare cases and only for the worst crimes.

Gun Control: Self defense is a basic right, but obviously support background checks.

Affirmative Action: Does not work. Oppresses minorities even further.

Political correctness: Complete bulls***. Gets people killed.

Prostitution: I don't care.

Immigration: Mostly right-wing. We need to know who we're taking in. Strongly pro-immigration but against illegal immigration. Building a wall wouldn't be 100% effective. Allow Syrian refugees in after extreme vetting.

Muslim Ban: AKA a temporary travel ban from several violent countries.

Minimum Wage:  Increase by a little, but adjust to inflation. Make sure businesses aren't harmed by it.

Universal Basic Income : Not a good idea.

Energy: Nuclear is our best bet in the long run.

Foreign policy: Mostly non-interventionist, but be tough if we're threatened and attac if necessary.

ISideWith results: 77% Republican, 75% Constitution, 53% Libertarian, 24% Democratic, 20% Green

100% Trump, 89% McMullin, 78% Castle, 46% Johnson, 13% Clinton, 6% Stein

Economic score: +3.9
Social score: 0.72
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:10:17 pm by First Degree Burns »Logged
Proudconnh
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.29, S: 3.83

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »
Ignore

Basically a Libertarian Traditionalist (I only sort of made that up), with a strong support for Agrarianism. I always find myself in opposition to the government of the day. I am basically a political malcontent. To quote Wikipedia on the Tory party following the General Election of 1747:

"The Tories had become an irrelevant group of country gentlemen who had resigned themselves to permanent opposition."

So that is me, an irrelevant Burkean Conservative who is in permanent opposition, a conscientious objector to the 21st Century.
Jacobin American
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: August 04, 2017, 08:01:20 am »
Ignore

Ted Bessell
tedbessell
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: August 04, 2017, 03:10:21 pm »
Ignore

Don't remember if I ever posted this, but here goes. Format, and some planks, borrowed from Scott.

Ideology
Social: Libertarian-ish
Economic: Social democrat
Foreign Policy: It's complicated
Political Registration: Democratic in CA (PreReg)

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-choice. Oppose mandatory counseling/waiting periods. Oppose the Hyde Amendment. Support protection of late-term abortions, as they are extremely rare and almost always occur in cases where there's a medical necessity.

Same-Sex Marriage: Strongly support, as well as measures to protect the access of LGBT access to the same services as straight people.

Conversion Therapy: Ban it, for obvious reasons.

Transgender Issues: Support allowing transgender people to use the restroom corresponding to their gender, and their right to serve in the military if they so choose.

Drugs: Legalization of marijuana, for the time being, as well as decriminalization of some of the harder stuff. I'd be open to legalizing those other drugs after we get a broader view of how pot legalization works out over the next few years.

Death Penalty: Oppose unconditionally.

Gun Control: Oppose bans on assault weapons and gun registries. Support reasonable magazine/clip limits. Support open carry in some places, concealed carry in fewer places. Support mandatory gun safety features, background checks, and closing the gun show loophole.

This should, of course, be very localized. I would support some kind of regular test of psychological stability and knowledge of gun safety, like how you have to renew your driver's license, but this is probably not politically feasible.

Affirmative Action: Bigly support -- it's a way to give underserved communities a leg up, and more diversity on campuses is a good thing.

Prostitution: I don't really think it's the government's job to legislate this sort of thing, and I could support this as long as it's monitored to make sure that the prostitutes are there voluntarily and contraceptives/condoms are used.

Euthanasia: Ambivalent. Suffering through terminal illness is awful, but I also don't believe that people have a right to end their life, and I think that it's immoral to end the life of another.

Immigration: Create a pathway to citizenship for all non-violent undocumented immigrants. Deport or imprison violent undocumented immigrants. Offer free English courses, and require basic knowledge as a prerequisite to citizenship, but oppose making English the "official language" of the United States. Prosecute businesses that hire and exploit illegal immigrants out of good wages. Expand legal immigration (H1Bs, green cards, etc) drastically, and remove steps from the bureaucracy required for admission.

Police Issues/Black Lives Matter: I strongly support the goals of BLM and police reform. Require body cameras and accountability. Encourage community policing.  The justice system should be reformed so that officers are held accountable - no more "blue shield."

Free Speech/Political Correctness: Some level of "political correctness" as a social norm is necessary to keep politics from descending into a blithering mass of personal hatred and bigotry, but I support the right of anyone to say anything and my right to call them a hateful asshole for saying it. Tongue

School Prayer: I don't think it's really appropriate, but religious clubs are alright.

Muslim Ban: Islamaphobia is wrong and so are religious litmus tests period.  Anyone who's willing to assimilate into the culture and be a productive member of society should not be disqualified from entering the United States.

PATRIOT ACT/NSA Spying: Completely and unconditionally opposed to warrantless wiretapping. Privacy is a human right.

TSA: Abolish it. Let airports/airlines manage their own security in accordance with federal standards.

Economic Issues
Minimum Wage: Establish a national living wage of $15 per hour set to rise with inflation.

Welfare: Safeguard and expand the welfare state. Ensure food security for all Americans, provide adequate living assistance, paid maternity and paternity leave of at least 1 year each, paid sick leave, 2 weeks guaranteed paid holidays, and subsidized childcare and universal pre-k. Implement a UBI for economic stability and general welfare.

Social Security: Lift the taxable income cap.  Social Security is solvent until 2033 and there is no “crisis.”  Ideally, the retirement age would be lowered so as to expand job opportunities for young people.

Healthcare: I would support a single-payer/Medicare-for-all program. Currently I’m most in favor of a nationwide “public option” or Medicare buy-in program, as well as co-ops or Germany-style “sickness funds,” to compete with private insurance companies.

Allow drug imports from Canada and countries which tightly regulate their drug markets for safety. Subsidize families that spend more than a certain portion of monthly income on prescription drugs, either through reimbursement or tax credits.

Globalization/Trade: I think free trade is a net plus for the economy, but

Deficit/Debt: Maximize efficiency, streamline all governmental agencies, consolidate agencies and eliminate redundancies, abolish the NSA, slash the military and defense budget, focus on implementing cost saving technologies, and make it publicly available and readily accessible to see where all funds are going, the budgets of every agency and department, and who voted for what funding.

Campaign Finance Reform: Amend the Constitution to exempt political contributions from free speech, and allow Congress to establish reasonable regulations and (possibly) publicly fund campaigns.

Unions: Strongly support. Completely overturn the Taft-Hartley Act, strengthen public and private sector unions, and abolish all right-to-work laws.

Energy: Invest heavily in green energy with the intent of revolutionizing our energy sector. Incentivize businesses and individuals to go green with tax breaks, implement cap and trade, partially nationalize all companies exploiting our natural resources, and begin reducing fracking and offshore drilling by gradually restricting permits. Retrain workers on the fossil fuel sector and help them transition to other jobs.

Job Creation: Invest in a massive infrastructure redevelopment program a la Roosevelt's public works programs. Heavily incentivize businesses to create jobs in underprivileged areas, both rural and urban. Expand broadband to all people, including rural areas.

Education: More autonomy for schools and teachers over curriculum, ideally by reducing the effects of standardized testing on said schools. Free tuition for public universities and pre-k, and no ban on homeschooling.

Taxes: Reduce the corporate tax rate, while closing loopholes and such. Sales taxes should be minimal, and income taxes should be very progressive.

Foreign Policy
Basically, the U.S. should play an active role in the liberal order. We should respond proportionally to humanitarian crises on a case-by-case basis, and prevent singular actors from gaining hegemony over their regional neighbors and our allies via bullying. However, most of the failed military ventures by the U.S. post-WWII can be explained by a failure to decide where the best theater to prevent said aggression is, so caution is extremely important.

Trump has made a habit of raising a middle digit to reality, turning that middle digit into a knife, and stabbing reality through the heart.
The Lovely Frank
fhtagn
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 15, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »
Ignore

Social Issues

Abortion
- Personally wouldn't have an abortion
- Do not support bans under 20 weeks
- Pro-choice until point of viability, after that point only in extreme cases of risks to the mother or baby
- Support Planned Parenthood

LGBTQ+ Rights
- Support same sex marriage and adoption
- Sexual orientation should be protected by anti-discrimination laws
- Anyone can use whichever bathroom they wish
- Do not support conversion therapy
- No issue with LGBTQ+ citizens in the military

Guns:
- Support background checks
- Prevent those who are unfit from obtaining a gun (ex. extreme cases of mental/psychological disability, those who have a record of violent crime - especially gun related charges, etc.)
- Do not support gun bans and magazine limits
- Do not support registries
- Support both open and concealed carry

Drugs
- Support full legalization of marijuana
- Support decriminalization of harder stuff, prefer focusing on addiction as a mental illness vs. a crime

Religious Freedom
- Should be protected
- The government should not force citizens or businesses to operate against their religious views

Death Penalty
- Generally oppose, but do support for extreme cases where the crime is especially heinous and there is no doubt about who committed the crime (ex. serial killers, terrorists, etc.)

Euthanasia
- Support as long as the patient is terminally ill and expected to live 6 months or less
- Patient must be of sound mind to make the decision, must not be a result of mental illness
- Doctor cannot be forced to perform the procedure, but should be able to recommend one who will

Prostitution
- Should be legal as long as all participants are of legal age and consent to the act
- Ensure contraceptives/condoms are used and ensure regular STD testing takes place

Immigration
- Create a pathway to citizenship for all non-violent immigrants, deport ones who are violent
- Oppose making English official language, but basic knowledge should be required
- Support expansion of legal means of immigration
- Protect illegal immigrants by prosecuting businesses and individuals who take advantage of them for low wages and bypassing other labor laws

Affirmative Action
- Oppose
- I do acknowledge how it has benefited minorities, however there are many issues I personally find with it today.
- Presently feel the issue more of a class/income divide rather than race
- Encourages reverse discrimination/racial tension
- Devalues personal achievement, lowers standards, and holds people less accountable

Confederate Flags/Monuments
- History should not be erased, do not support removing
- Should be protected from desecration
- Would prefer a plaque or sign placing them in context vs removal or placement in museums
- If people want to fly it, let them fly it.

Political Correctness
- Some arguments make sense, but people these days take it too far
- Know your audience and try not to be a jerk
- It's not that serious

Economic Issues

Minimum Wage
- Should be increased, but rate should determined based on cost of living in the areas where people reside, though support keeping a reasonable federal minimum wage to avoid people being taken advantage of
- Should take into account whether or not someone has dependents
- Adjust with inflation
- Businesses should not be placed at risk

Trade
- Free trade is great in theory, but we would be better off re-negotiating and doing a better job with future deals so American businesses and industries are not harmed.
- Support tariffs on select imports to protect American industries.

Taxes
- No huge issues with current tax rates, though we need to be better about how we are using the money
- Simplify the tax code to make it easier for people to understand

Unions
- I acknowledge that they do very good things for workers, but they also do terrible things, too.
- Limit their powers, crack down on corruption
- Support right to work

Social Security
- Raise the retirement age
- Allow for the most benefits to go to lower income individuals, reduce benefits to those who are in higher income brackets.

Foreign Policy

Russia/NATO
- Pro-NATO
- Do not support strengthening ties with Russia while Putin is in power.

Radical Islam
- Do not support Muslim ban, but support improving screening process
- Terrorist organizations should be taken seriously, empower countries where they are occupying to drive radicals out on their own. Hold them accountable, we should not be in charge of policing the world.

Israel
- Both sides have done bad things, but I generally find Israel to be less bad.
- Overall support, but we should not tolerate when they do terrible things.

Iran
- Not a huge fan of the deal, but we would be worse off scrapping it

Environment

Climate Change
- Climate change is real, is one of the most serious threats facing our nation and our planet today.
- Caused both by humans and is natural
- In favor of putting in place limits on carbon dioxide output

Renewable Energy
- Support investing in solar, wind, and hydroelectric power.
- Support phasing out of fossil fuel usage
- Support other forms of clean energy (such as nuclear) until renewable sources are economically feasible.

Healthcare

Universal Healthcare
- Support universal healthcare
- Mixed feelings, but lean opposed to single payer

Medicare
- I realize how people benefit from it, but it is currently unsustainable.
- Take necessary measures to reduce spending, but avoid hurting the people who most need it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:25:15 am by fhtagn »Logged

FF, but #FhtagnLiedAndTheProletariatDied.
00:56 <PiT1> fhtagn is basically the female William F. Buckley now
00:56 <Leinad> William Fhtgan Buckley
20:51 <Classic> Fhtagn is a confederate flag wavin' Native American
20:52 <Goldwater> *confederate flag wavin' Eskimo
DeadPrez
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 20, 2017, 05:19:02 pm »
Ignore

Did this before but let's see what has changed. I borrowed from Scott I guess?

Ideology
Social: Libertarian-ish
Economic: Conservative/Libertarian
Foreign Policy: Libertarian
Political Registration: Republican

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-life except for when the mother's life is at risk.

Same-Sex Marriage: Government shouldn't be involved in marriage. Let consenting adults decide who they want to be involved with.

Conversion Therapy: If it's run by the private sector, I don't care.

Transgender Issues: Unsure.

Drugs: All drugs should be legal

Death Penalty: The state does not have the right to execute someone

Gun Control: No bans on guns. I am open to having gun licences for people once they are 18 and 21, but no registration of guns or bans on what weapons one can hold

Affirmative Action: Opposed to but there is room for some of the policies.

Prostitution: Legal

Euthanasia: Legal

Immigration: Open borders once the welfare state is abolished.

Police Issues/Black Lives Matter: Police brutality should have heavy repercussions. Body cameras should be implemented. Individuals should have the right to defend themselves against the police force.

Free Speech/Political Correctness: PC sucks.

School Prayer: Schools have a moment of silence for this. That's all that's needed.

Muslim Ban: Muslim bans are illegal but banning refugees from Muslim countries is not the same thing

PATRIOT ACT/NSA Spying: Abolish the NSA and the Patriot Act

TSA: Abolish

Economic Issues
Minimum Wage: Abolish

Welfare: Abolish and replace with UBI (Don't really agree with but meh)

Social Security: Privatize

Healthcare: Abolish Obamacare.

Globalization/Trade: Support free trade but oppose deals like NAFTA.

Deficit/Debt: Cut spending and stop borrowing.

Campaign Finance Reform: No need for reform besides removing restrictions.

Unions: Unions are cancer

Energy: Private sector

Job Creation: private sector

Education: Private sector

Taxes: Flat tax of 14%. Everyone making under 100k does not pay it.

Foreign Policy
Only go to war as last resort. Sanctions are an act of war. Foreign aid is unconstitutional. Get rid of bases in other countries.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout