Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 02:33:45 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 178195 times)
Deliverance
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:18 am »
Ignore

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: I personally am O.K. with civil unions and am opposed to full marriage, but this is really something that should be left up to states, not activist judges or the federal government.

Drugs: Full legalization of Marijuana with a substantial excise tax, just like we have for Tobacco. Everything else stays illegal, but focus on rehabilitation and not punishment.

Death Penalty: Only if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two jury trials. Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and switch to far quicker method of death (Personally, I don't really see what's the big deal with beheading. They're going to die no matter what method you use, so why not do a quick beheading rather than a lethal injection that doesn't kill right away and even fails to kill on rare occasions?) .

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Open to assault weapons ban. Nothing else.

Affirmative Action: Opposed. This is just a bunch of prejudice against whites.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Opposed.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $12. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program

Right to Work: Yes, but in a way that still keeps unions intact.

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

FAIR Tax: Opposed

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2030, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, have open enrollment year-long, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Medicare: Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Common Core: Opposed.

Foreign:

Afghanistan: Get Out. We've been there long enough.

Further Action in Iraq: Opposed.

Iran: Leave them alone.

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Syria: Leave them alone.

Cuba: End the travel ban, gradually reestablish U.S.-Cuba trade.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

PATRIOT Act: Substantially weaken

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Electoral College: Abolish, institute NPV with IRV.

Gerrymandering: Eliminate with shortest-splitline method

Congressional Term Limits: 6 terms for the house, 2 for the senate

Statehood of Puerto Rico: Supportive

Voter ID: Opposed. It's biased to favor republican-leaning voters and fraud isn't even a nominal problem on a national scale.

You are more a "mainstream" Conservative Republican than an Independent.

"Making Congress Squeal!"- Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA)
the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
Wulfric
YaBB God
United States

P P
View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 10, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »
Ignore

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: I personally am O.K. with civil unions and am opposed to full marriage, but this is really something that should be left up to states, not activist judges or the federal government.

Drugs: Full legalization of Marijuana with a substantial excise tax, just like we have for Tobacco. Everything else stays illegal, but focus on rehabilitation and not punishment.

Death Penalty: Only if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two jury trials. Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and switch to far quicker method of death (Personally, I don't really see what's the big deal with beheading. They're going to die no matter what method you use, so why not do a quick beheading rather than a lethal injection that doesn't kill right away and even fails to kill on rare occasions?) .

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Open to assault weapons ban. Nothing else.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $12. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2030, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, have open enrollment year-long, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Foreign:

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Voter ID: Opposed. It's biased to favor republican-leaning voters and fraud isn't even a nominal problem on a national scale.

i'd be laughed out of the republican party because I don't support full repeal of ObamaCare, the Paul Ryan budget, or tax cuts for the wealthy. I'd be laughed out of the democratic party because i'm not fond of obama and because i'm not left enough on social issues or entitlements. I'm also a big proponent of compromise. That's why i'm an independent.

2014 LA Runoff and 2015 Governor Ratings (Updated 11/15):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g8tEoJgrnwwvtei26bn1DJSmRmNG_eaoeY5n9jq2ziU

2014 Prediction Errors: KS-SEN, NC-SEN, KS-GOV, IL-GOV, FL-GOV, ME-GOV, MD-GOV  + had Perdue/Deal winning in runoff

Current Presidential Endorsement:

Deliverance
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 15, 2014, 10:21:13 am »
Ignore

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

i'd be laughed out of the republican party because I don't support full repeal of ObamaCare, the Paul Ryan budget, or tax cuts for the wealthy. I'd be laughed out of the democratic party because i'm not fond of obama and because i'm not left enough on social issues or entitlements. I'm also a big proponent of compromise. That's why i'm an independent.

That's probably the full extent that they will get unless SCOTUS vetoes Obamacare or the GOP gets a supermajority and can't reconcile through the Ryan budget in the senate.

"Making Congress Squeal!"- Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA)
the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
Wulfric
YaBB God
United States

P P
View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 15, 2014, 03:12:32 pm »
Ignore

Social:

Fiscal:

Foreign:

Other:

That's probably the full extent that they will get unless SCOTUS vetoes Obamacare or the GOP gets a supermajority and can't reconcile through the Ryan budget in the senate.
But you still have to support full repeal of ObamaCare to be a republican. Also, I don't think republicans will push for year-long open enrollment, or either of these:

forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

You also can't support military spending cuts if you're a republican, or leaving Iran alone.

Basically, my platform fails to meet the basic litmus tests of either party. I could pose myself as a conservative democrat or a liberal republican with relative ease, but I'd never be able to win the primary.

2014 LA Runoff and 2015 Governor Ratings (Updated 11/15):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g8tEoJgrnwwvtei26bn1DJSmRmNG_eaoeY5n9jq2ziU

2014 Prediction Errors: KS-SEN, NC-SEN, KS-GOV, IL-GOV, FL-GOV, ME-GOV, MD-GOV  + had Perdue/Deal winning in runoff

Current Presidential Endorsement:

SilentCal1924

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 16, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »
Ignore

Party: Republican
Ideology: Conservative

I'll go issue by issue. No need for long explanations.  Basically, a conservative Republican who has a few liberal views (global warming for one), but is uniformly otherwise conservative, pro-civil liberties, and is an internationalist that believes in America projecting her power.

Social Issues

Abortion: Oppose in all cases except mother's life. Life begins at conception. I firmly believe in this and this is one of my criteria for any Republican Presidential candidates seeking my support.

Guns: Pro-Second Amendment. Support universal background checks, but no restrictions on guns otherwise.

Gay Rights: Pro-gay rights and gay marriage, on grounds that we keep families together and it promotes families.
Oppose ENDA, however, as an unconstitutional infringement on employment practices.

Euthanasia: I support euthanasia for terminal illnesses, along the lines of Oregon's Right to Die law.

Religious Freedoms: Supportive. Supported the Alito majority decision in Hobby Lobby. Oppose forcing religious institutions from distributing birth control, etc.

Supreme Court: Support a textual reading of the Constitution, rather than the expansive "living Constitution" approach supported by liberals. Creating rights out of thin air is a bad idea, for many reasons. The judiciary should stick to reading the text of the Constitution, and the intents of the Framers, in applying the Constitution, as well as the English precedents that set the basis for our legal system.

Death Penalty: Firmly a supporter. Broaden the crimes that we use the death penalty for and limit appeals.
War on Drugs: A failed idea. Decriminalize and legalize, as needed, except for heroin, meth, and cocaine. End the DEA's powers and oversight, except for heroin, meth, and cocaine. Legalize marijuana, completely.

Affirmative Action: Completely opposed. Meritocratic systems require meritocratic standards.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Supportive, and believe in the science.

Common Core: No real opinion; the states implemented it and they should set the standards for education.

Evolution: Clearly happened. Support local education boards teaching evolution as accepted science, and exclude religious teachings from science classes.

Economic and Government Issues:

Taxes: This requires a longer explanation. I support tax cuts of almost any kind, and believe that taxes should be as low and flat as possible. In practical terms, I am for a flat tax on individuals, with elimination of almost all standard deductions, and undecided on how to structure corporate tax reform (either eliminating it or ending all deductions and going with a low 10% tax rate, and allow small businesses to have a smaller tax rate of 5% on the federal level).  Tax reform is another major issue for me.

There is one tax I am open to. I would be, given global warming, be open to a carbon tax, as long as it was offset in other areas for all involved.

Spending: Balance the budget, as much as possible each year. A BBA is impractical, for a variety of reasons, otherwise, I would be far more supportive. I am generally supportive of cutting spending to balance the budget, in all areas, and auditing all levels of government, including Defense (with the caveat that I still, on balance, support Defense spending to be strong enough to protect the United States and to project global power). Combine several Cabinet agencies to achieve greater efficiencies, and so on. Regulations should be audited, revised and stripped if useless.

Defense Spending: The Pentagon should have as much as it needs to continue the United States' military and technological edge over every other nations, and our enemies combined. That said, it should be audited for waste annually, and contractors should win contracts based on an open bidding process. Balance these two goals and we should be fine.

Trade: Complete free trader. I want a global trade pact that eliminates all trade barriers, subsidies, and support for local industries, with the caveat that developing nations are given 20 years to develop their industries to come into the trade pact as fully mature nations. Free trade is a big issue for me and I am supportive of all free trade agreements.

Social Security and Medicare Reform: I would have opposed their creation. I still feel they're an unconstitutional violation of the Constitution, but they're here to stay. With that in mind, I support the RyanCare approach to Medicare, and oppose privatization of Social Security as impractical. Flat out, we should reduce benefits to Social Security recipients, beginning in the 2030s.  Raise the retirement age to 70 for Social Security and Medicare.

ObamaCare: I support the exchanges, oppose the Medicaid Expansion, and pretty much oppose all of the law except the exchanges. The exchanges have conservative roots, and are a great idea. But overall, the law is a terrible idea. We should be pushing down costs through free market reforms, and I have a few in mind, such as taking on the obesity epidemic, and other cost controlling measures. But in general, any future health care reforms should be structured around the exchanges, and reasonable cost control measures.

Right to Work: Completely support it, and would further dismantle the protections labor unions enjoy under federal executive orders. Support extending Taft-Hartley. I would be happy if we could take on public unions and dismantle them as we have done to unions in the private sector. Greatly weaken the Labor Department.

Federal Minimum Wage Hike: Completely oppose. I would support setting the private market set the floor for the minimum wage.

Immigration, Foreign Issues, National Security:

Immigration: Oppose a wall (impractical), but strongly believe that we should have a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants, on the condition they learn English, attain some educational experience, and prove that they're equipped with skills to work here. Otherwise, send them home. Support a constitutional amendment on prohibiting illegal immigration after this round of immigration reform, and support border security first and foremost.

Iraq and Afghanistan: Supported the War in Iraq and still do; turned against the war in Afghanistan in 2009, as mismanaged. (Bush corrected course in 2007 in Iraq). However, I support continued American involvement in the world, as someone who believes that America has a strong role to play on the global stage (the United States is the last best hope of mankind - meaning that America should not withdraw into Fortress America, but continue to project power and influence). Therefore, the United States should be actively fighting ISIS, etc. and working to develop a better governing coalition in both nations that can lead these nations into peace.

Syria:  Support the Freedom Syria fighters, fighting the Assad regime. While of questionable origin, ousting a despotic regime is not a bad thing.

Iran: Continue the Obama accords, and to slowly reintegrate Iran into the international community, while making them give up their nuclear ambitions. This is far better than the alternatives.

PATRIOT Act: I support revamping it to accommodate the concerns of civil libertarians. I believe that reform is better than abolition, at this point -- revamp or abolish Section 215, and other sections. I would also support limiting the power of the government to spy on its own citizens and to collect data, without judicial oversight. Have a judge approve and oversee the program - a duly appointed and confirmed judge, and possibly rotating judges, from different parties/ideologies. All investigations should operate under a judge's approval, whether domestic or foreign. The government can continue to hunt down terrorists, and they should, but do it constitutionally.

Israel: Complete support of Israel and oppose any Palestinian homeland. Palestine and other Arabic nations have acted only to weaken Israel, rather than to gain a true homeland for Palestine. I believe, then, in supporting Netanyahu's government and the goal of keeping Israel unified, and Jerusalem under Israeli/Jewish control.

Global Warming: Global warming is real, manmade, and the United States must lead the way in combating it. I would support accords to create cap and trade compacts, limiting green house gas emissions, and transiting our energy use to as much renewable energy as possible. The third world should be helped in their transition to using solar and other renewable energies and cleaning up the environment, to reduce greenhouse gases. A carbon tax should (if offset) be considered for use here at home. I am not a fan of cap and trade, if given the carbon tax as an option, but otherwise, use all strategies to tackle global warming.

Keep Cool with Coolidge 1924

Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: November 16, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »
Ignore

Ideology: Conservative

I'll go issue by issue. No need for long explanations.  Basically, a conservative Republican who has a few liberal views (global warming for one), but is uniformly otherwise conservative, pro-civil liberties, and is an internationalist that believes in America projecting her power.

That's interesting, considering I expected someone named after Calvin Coolidge to be something along the lines of a isolationist or non-interventionist. Considering my own political views, I'll call that a pleasant surprise. Wink

SilentCal1924

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: November 16, 2014, 09:56:35 pm »
Ignore

Well, Coolidge was not an entire isolationist. The Kellog-Briand Pact of 1928 is one example. But yeah, Coolidge was too off hands during the 1920s, in foreign policy. The refusal to join the League of Nations, etc. was a poor move. So (IMHO) was the refusal to embrace free trade. Had Coolidge and his Republican contemporaries done that and the Federal Reserve been far more generous than it was, the Great Depression's effects might have been significantly helped. Ditto getting off the gold standard (England did it in 1930 and had a lighter impact than we did).

I should have added I believe the United Nations should be disbanded and replaced by a far more pro-Western and pro-democracy organization dedicated to the muscular enforcement of America's post World War II ideals of free trade, democratic rule, and capitalism.

Keep Cool with Coolidge 1924

Kallo

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:25 pm »
Ignore

Party: Independent (Usually vote democrat)
Ideology: Progressive

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-choice, keep abortion safe, legal, and rare.
Gay Marriage: Fully supportive of LGBT rights.
Drugs: Marijuana for medical purposes, keep everything else illegal.
Stem Cell Research: Stem Cell research saves lives, and is completely necessary.
Death Penalty: In favor, not happy with the fuss that's been made over it regarding the recent botched executions.
Gun control: Bring in background checks, ban assault weapons.
Affirmative Action: Very bad idea, we should be choosing on ability, not on race.
Women's Rights: Introduce equal pay legislation.

Economic Issues:
Federal Spending: Do not support the Ryan budgets, no cuts to social agencies.
Minimum Wage: Large increase in minimum wage, give tax cuts to smaller businesses who can't handle the raise.
Taxation: Raise taxes on the rich, introduce a progressive taxation system.
Healthcare: Support social healthcare, but don't agree with certain aspects of the ACA
Social Security: Make sure hard working Americans benefit
Education: Drastically increase funding to our broken education system, pay teachers more, keep and expand common core.

Foreign Policy and National Security:
Iran: Diplomacy is the best course of action.
Iraq/Syria: Stop air strikes on ISIS, it is only inflaming the situation, instead provide support to Kurdish fighters and other forces against ISIS without directlly attacking them, we cannot afford it.
Military Spending: Cut military operations and spending.
NSA Spying: Necessary
Immigration: Increase border control, but come to agreement on a possible amnesty, need immigration reform.

Environment
Climate Change: Call out and shame the politicians who deny climate change, start passing legislation to reduce its impact.
Green Energy: Shift our reliance on oil to renewable energy.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Against, instead subsidise companies willing to create jobs with renewable energy

Electoral Reform
Electoral College: Should be reviewed, Al Gore won popular vote in 2000 but only lost due to electoral college
Gerrymandering: Use independent groups to reform the current US districts
Campaign Finance: Repeal citizens united, strict public financing of elections.
Term limits: Against
Voter ID: Used as a base for republicans to stop democrats voting, repeal voter ID laws.

Independent Progressive
Endorsements:
(2014)
TX-GOV: Wendy Davis
KS-Senate: Greg Orman
CO-Senate: Mark Udall
(2016)
POTUS: Bernie Sanders
smilo
sjkqw
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.38, S: 3.85

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 19, 2014, 05:20:54 pm »
Ignore

Ideology: Quasi-libertarian Anarcho-capitalist except when it is sensible not to be (particularly with monetary policy)

Abortion: Very pro-life except in case of mother's life. I'd be open to keeping it legal for cases of rape but I'd be concerned that that option could be abused so I'd think it's much more important to reduce rape culture.
Gay Marriage: Government should not be in the marriage license business
Drugs: Legalize all recreational drugs (i.e. not those that can be used to harm other people including abortion-inducing drugs
Alcohol: Reduce age to 18 but dramatically increase taxes and massive education programs to attempt to significantly reduce its use
Stem Cell Research: Certainly not embryonic.
Death Penalty: Oppose domestically though perhaps open to it for international crimes. Still prefer no
Gun control: Limited. Background checks acceptable
Affirmative Action: No way
Prostitution: Legalize to protect women from violence
Sports Gambling: Allow states to legalize. All online gambling legal under federal jurisdiction.
Religious Freedom: Almost always for real religions - not for obvious parodies. Hobby Lobby was the right decision.
Justice System: Drastically reduce the inmate population to only those who are an imminent danger to the public especially among juveniles. Age of majority upped to 21 (and ideally a bit higher though I know none would agree to). Juvenile crimes do not remain on record. Give felons right to vote. Mass pardons including posthumous

Worker's Rights: Paid Maternity (and Paternity) Leave inc. for adoptions. Election Day is a holiday. Holiday and Sunday pay from private sector should be non-negotiably overtime. Reduce work week to 36 hours. Salaried Employees should really be sticking to something close to that hour-level as well. 
Right-to-work: Common-sense. On a related note, public unions should be gone.
Federal Spending: Drastically reduce. Balanced Budget Amendment? LOL no. Deficits can often be good as long as they don't spiral out of control
Gold Standard: Vehemently oppose
Quantitative Easing: Probably not the best solution, but it was the best we had
Corporate Welfare: As much as I want to hate it, some of it was necessary and you can't just dissolve the banking system to pre-Depression decentralization. Too Big To Fail unfortunately does not mean Too Big To Exist. At the present, those institutions are necessary for our existence. Still looking for a solution where we can decentralize and cut this out. Without TARP, Main Street would have suffered. Minimize when we can because I dislike fascism.
Minimum Wage: As much as I want to eliminate, people are not competent enough to do their own negotiating. State-by-state issue
Taxation: No tax on income up to 50,000. 10% up to 100,000. 20% up to 250,000. 25% up to 500,000. 30% up to 1,000,000. 37.5% beyond that. I would say hike up corporate tax rates, but we'd be seeing a dramatic decrease in the number of corporations as is when they become proprietorships.
Capital Gains: None up to 25,000. 10% up to 75,000. Anything above that adds to marginal income. 17.5% cap for long-term gains.
Dividends: Do not double tax.
Health Care: Insurance is for unexpected injuries not doctor's appointments. Eliminate HMOs. Repeal Obamacare.
Education: No more CommonCore. Voucher Systems. Big fan of "unschooling" even if that is hard for the typical family though I am not opposed to more funding as education is the basis for society. It likely needs to be highly monitored and as local as possible to ensure failing districts make progress.
Trade: Typically support free trade but some needs to occur on an industry-by-industry basis as we don't need another Jamaica happening.
Social Security: Privatize but those who put money in will get it of course. Overall we need to increase the national savings rate so I do fear this would only cause the very rich to save more and profit more so I have not fully thought out the other side of this - likely need tax credits for middle class savings.

NSA: Drastically reduce the scope and increase transparency
ISIS: Indifferent, but probably stop airstrikes
Military Spending: Reduce dramatically
Immigration: Make the borders as open as possible (not even remotely bad when the welfare state is gone) but definitely monitor for serious external threats
Cuba: End travel ban
Foreign Aid: Effectively end but the rhetoric used towards it is ridiculous as it is such a small part of the budget. I would consider devoting some resources towards helping Africa create strong governance and capitalist institutions and eliminating disease that prevents that stuff but we can't go in assuming what they need from our perspective.
U.N.: Goodbye
Patriot Act: Complete Repeal. Restore civil liberties.
Palestine: Probably a 2-state solution.
Puerto Rico: Let them be their own country

Green Energy: Encourage by making it relatively cheaper by forcing oil companies to internalize the social costs they do not have to pay. Also encourage natural gas cars for a slight improvement.
Keystone XL: ASAP
Nuclear Energy: Very much for
Environmental Fascism (Every piece of the ecosystem is equally important to a human life): Blech.
Animal Rights: Animals =/= Humans but we may need some laws to protect abuse in corporate farming particularly
GMOs: No danger as far as I can tell

Voter ID: Likely a good idea but the government needs to ensure everyone can get access to such an ID first
Term Limits: For. 10 terms in the House. 3 terms in the Senate. I'd be open to some sort of non-consecutive compromise and of course grandfathering everyone in.
Campaign Finance: Lean towards money is speech but swaying on that one
Gerrymandering: Of course independent groups should make the maps
Direct Election of Senators: Repeal
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout