Same sex parents and birth registration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:19:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Same sex parents and birth registration
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Same sex parents and birth registration  (Read 1153 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2006, 11:17:47 AM »

A question.  Ontario birth registration forms contain fields for father and mother.  Naturally, the homosexuals are upset about this.  However, in a lawsuit, a court ruled that homosexuals can go suck on a lemon.  The reasoning was as follows: The biological father and biological mother goes on the certificate; and since at this time it takes one member of each sex to make a child, the form does not need to be changed.

I would be horrified if the court ruled otherwise.  Yeah, yeah, you want your kid registered under your name, but if you do that you will completely ruin the geneological data and history.  I do not want to pollute this database just because YOU want to be "equal."

Any thoughts?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 11:26:05 AM »

Seeing as the form only cares about biology, I really couldn't care either.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 11:28:46 AM »

Same here- if the form requires biological parents then thats what should be on the form.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 11:29:14 AM »

I've been saying this quite a bit lately, but Richard is quite right.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »

A question.  Ontario birth registration forms contain fields for father and mother.  Naturally, the homosexuals are upset about this.  However, in a lawsuit, a court ruled that homosexuals can go suck on a lemon.  The reasoning was as follows: The biological father and biological mother goes on the certificate; and since at this time it takes one member of each sex to make a child, the form does not need to be changed.

I would be horrified if the court ruled otherwise.  Yeah, yeah, you want your kid registered under your name, but if you do that you will completely ruin the geneological data and history.  I do not want to pollute this database just because YOU want to be "equal."

Any thoughts?

You're completely correct.  Two women, or two men, cannot actually be the 'parents' of a child.  It has to be a man and a woman.  This is one little inconvenient fact that the homosexual activists can't seem to get around.  It will vex them in the same way that it vexes feminists that men can't carry children.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »

I agree that if the forms focus only on biology, indeed the biological parents should be listed.

However, I think there is far more to being a parent than simply biology. I would argue that being a parent actually has nothing to do with biology at all, in fact.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 01:54:46 PM »

I agree that if the forms focus only on biology, indeed the biological parents should be listed.

However, I think there is far more to being a parent than simply biology. I would argue that being a parent actually has nothing to do with biology at all, in fact.

The birth certificate is meant to record biological parents, not predict who is going to raise the kids.  I understand your point, but two men, or two women, can't possibly be the biological parents of a child, any more than a man can carry a baby.  It's simply a fact of life, and the attitude that the names of gay parents should be listed on birth certificates is an attempt to deny an immutable reality.

Think about kids who are adopted.  Their birth certificates still list the names of their biological parents, and they're supplemented by adoption papers.  Perhaps in these cases, the same thing could be done, though I will caveat it by saying that I don't support gay adoption.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 02:10:35 PM »

The birth certificate is meant to record biological parents, not predict who is going to raise the kids.  I understand your point, but two men, or two women, can't possibly be the biological parents of a child, any more than a man can carry a baby.  It's simply a fact of life, and the attitude that the names of gay parents should be listed on birth certificates is an attempt to deny an immutable reality.

Think about kids who are adopted.  Their birth certificates still list the names of their biological parents, and they're supplemented by adoption papers.  Perhaps in these cases, the same thing could be done, though I will caveat it by saying that I don't support gay adoption.

I agree they are biologically the parents, and hence why I supported putting those on the document if that's what it is asking for. Smiley

But my point was that the definition of what is a parent is not in my mind based on biology. I understand if they are asking for something different than that (biological parent as opposed to caretaker of the child, which is my definiton of the term), that's fine.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 09:02:57 PM »

I see nothing wrong with it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »

Who cares about geneological data and history, Richious?  Sounds like needless State interference to me.  Let people put whatever they want down for progenitors - it is their own affair.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 11:04:53 PM »

Who cares about geneological data and history, Richious?  Sounds like needless State interference to me.  Let people put whatever they want down for progenitors - it is their own affair.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 12:40:02 AM »

I do.  I don't support the State in many things, but I do in this case.  It is important to keep track of when people are born, who they marry, their kids, and their deaths.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 06:21:55 PM »

I do.  I don't support the State in many things, but I do in this case.  It is important to keep track of when people are born, who they marry, their kids, and their deaths.

I'm not sure all of those are good things for the government to be tracking, but I agree with the current form, as it would be helpful to the child to know his biological/medical history regardless of which people raise him.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 02:43:54 AM »

Any thoughts?

Some of us want and need to be equal, unlike you who can marry a woman and live happily ever after.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 06:04:45 AM »

Any thoughts?

Some of us want and need to be equal, unlike you who can marry a woman and live happily ever after.

What does that have to do with what amounts to falsifying a document whose purpose it is to list the biological parents of a child?  Does that make you more equal -- to say that two men, or two women, parented a child together, when it can't possibly be the case?  That's not equality -- that's denial of reality.

That mentality of "We have to be equal, even if we have to lie to do it" is, in a nutshell, exactly what's wrong with that whole movement.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 06:44:13 AM »

That mentality of "We have to be equal, even if we have to lie to do it" is, in a nutshell, exactly what's wrong with that whole movement.

While I don't agree entirely with Pim's sentiments, please don't slander an entire movement. It may have it's fringes, as all social and political movements do, but without it I would have been imprisoned or used as a medical and psychological guinea pig by now!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 06:48:12 AM »

Or become a sort of Tory Tom Driberg Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 06:51:03 AM »