Italy reforms 'rejected' at polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:02:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italy reforms 'rejected' at polls  (Read 1370 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:04:21 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5117992.stm

Italian PM Romano Prodi (L) and his wife leave their polling station 25 June 2006
PM Romano Prodi (left) is deeply opposed to the bill
Partial results from a constitutional referendum in Italy show that voters have rejected plans to boost the powers of the prime minister and regions.

More than 60% of voters opposed the reforms, according to results from a large proportion of polling stations.

The reforms were promoted by the previous centre-right government led by Silvio Berlusconi. He argued that Italian politics needed more stability.

The current centre-left government of Romano Prodi campaigned against them.

Just over half the 47 million registered voters turned out to cast their ballots in the two-day referendum.

Mr Prodi is deeply opposed to the reform bill, which was sponsored by the populist Northern League party.

Silvio Berlusconi in Naples
Berlusconi's leadership of the opposition may be at risk
The Northern League leader, Umberto Bossi, has made the progression of the bill a prerequisite for his continued support of Mr Berlusconi.

He has raised the prospect that the Northern League will split from the centre-right coalition - a move that would undermine Mr Berlusconi's leadership of the opposition.

The BBC's David Willey in Rome says legislators are now likely to go back to the drawing board to decide how to ensure more stability in a country which has had 61 governments since 1945.

Sweeping changes

Under the reforms the prime minister would be granted powers to dissolve parliament, appoint and dismiss ministers and determine the general direction of government policy.

These were all powers that were deliberately kept out of the hands of the prime minister in the 1948 constitution, as a way of preventing the emergence of another figure like fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.

The bill would also redefine the role of Italy's two parliamentary chambers.

KEY POINTS OF REFORM
Most radical shake-up since constitution introduced in 1948
Strengthens prime minister's powers, allowing him to dissolve parliament
Cuts president's powers
Twenty regions would get autonomy over education, health and local policing
Cuts number of representatives in both chambers
Parliament approved changes by a simple majority last November
The lower house - the Chamber of Deputies - would take the dominant role in matters of national interest like foreign policy, defence and immigration.

The upper house - the Senate - would become responsible for federal law.

But most significantly this bill would give greater autonomy to Italy's 20 regions.

They would gain control over education, healthcare and law and order, and would win special representation in the nation's supreme court.

Some estimates say regional government would take control of around 40% of public expenditure.

'No' camp

Vannino Chiti, Mr Prodi's minister for institutional reforms, called the proposals "an awful mess".

"We would end up with 20 regional health systems, 20 regional school systems, and all sorts of divisions among Italians," he said.

The poorer regions in the south are hugely dependent on tax money that comes from the north, the BBC's Christian Fraser reports from Rome.

Two 2005 studies by groups looking at child health in Italy found that if the south were independent it would be the poorest of the 25 EU members in terms of per capita national income.

There were fears the constitutional changes could lead to disparities in the quality of public services, with teachers and health professionals deserting the south, preferring better wages and prospects in the north.

Another key argument against the reforms was the cost.

Italy urgently needs to cut its budget deficit. The proposals might add expensive layers of bureaucracy to a system of public administration where there is already plenty of waste, Christian Fraser reports.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »

The referendum was dead the minute the election was declared. It just was too late to constitutionally stop it from being formally held.
Too many in the Casa delle "Libertà" giving only lip-support, and only to keep the Lega on board, for it to ever stand much of a chance. Although cutting the no. of Italian MPs, and the powers of the Senate, sounds highly desirable to me.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 01:20:12 PM »

The referendum was dead the minute the election was declared. It just was too late to constitutionally stop it from being formally held.
Too many in the Casa delle "Libertà" giving only lip-support, and only to keep the Lega on board, for it to ever stand much of a chance. Although cutting the no. of Italian MPs, and the powers of the Senate, sounds highly desirable to me.

I'm of mixed feelings.
I'm against the giving more powers to the PM part, but I'm said that the regions won't get more powers:

"We would end up with 20 regional health systems, 20 regional school systems"

And this would be a bad thing why?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:21:54 PM »

I'm of mixed feelings.
I'm against the giving more powers to the PM part, but I'm said that the regions won't get more powers:

Given that Italy's health care system is a lot better than Germany's (but don't tell a German... Roll Eyes ) and one of the best in the world it's in no need of reform.
The school system, on the other hand...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 03:01:55 PM »

I'm of mixed feelings.

Given that Italy's health care system is a lot better than Germany's (but don't tell a German... Roll Eyes ) and one of the best in the world it's in no need of reform.
The school system, on the other hand...

That's no excuse to not decentralize something.
Remember, radical decentralization is our foremost policy goal.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 09:58:45 PM »

Well, a rather foolish thing to do, grouping them all together like that.  A chance at increasing federalism blew because of it being tied to the increase of executive powers.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 12:35:46 AM »

Well, a rather foolish thing to do, grouping them all together like that.  A chance at increasing federalism blew because of it being tied to the increase of executive powers.

Or, possibly, the opposite: the chance to increase executive powers blown because of an unpopular attempt to to decentralize. The thing was proposed as a package, and it went down as a package - I don't think there was any separate polling done issue by issue, or was there?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 12:56:57 AM »

Well based on what Lewis said, it sounds like it was just an attempt to throw a bone to those fascist scumbags in the Lega Nord, so perhaps the increased executive power was a sort of a poison pill.

I oppose both main parts though, so good it went down. I would support cutting the Senate's power though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 03:31:47 AM »

Well based on what Lewis said, it sounds like it was just an attempt to throw a bone to those fascist scumbags in the Lega Nord, so perhaps the increased executive power was a sort of a poison pill.

I oppose both main parts though, so good it went down. I would support cutting the Senate's power though.

Why exactly would the poor South (including the traditionally conservative Sicily) ever vote for the devolution that would have an effect of sharply decreasing government transfers to it? And why would the central areas ever vote for the devolution project popularly associated with the Lega Nord that is despised there? Lombardy and Veneto still voted for it, anyway, though by smallish margins.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies