Had D-Day failed, would Hitler have won the war?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:41:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Had D-Day failed, would Hitler have won the war?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Had D-Day failed, would Hitler have won the war?  (Read 5745 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2004, 10:37:00 AM »

D-Day was the pivitul moment of World War II. Had it failed General Eisenhower would have been stripped of two stars and forced into retirement.

Would the Nazis have won if D-Day had failed?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 10:53:37 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2004, 11:02:42 AM by Michael Z »

No, but since there would have been no Allied presence in mainland Europe it's very likely the Red Army would have swept across the continent, with Stalin ruling all of Germany, and possibly France and other western European nations. Either way, it would have been a disaster.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 11:05:16 AM »

I believe they would have regrouped and tried a stronger push through the Italian Peninsula. The situation would have stagnated in the long run but the ever strengthening USSR would have probably overrun Europe. Either that or the Germans would have grown in strength and commanded Europe to this day.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 12:21:48 PM »

Either:
a) USSR overwhelms Europe.  Death, doom, and destruction.
b) "An atomic bomb was dropped today over Berlin," Death, doom, and destruction.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 12:27:41 PM »

No. We would still have developed nuclear weapons first.

Exactly.  That's our bomb that dropped on Berlin.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 12:27:48 PM »

I think we would of pulled out of Europe, but still defeated the Japanese in 1945.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 12:57:57 PM »

Germany would have developed the ABomb as they were VERY close during the real war! They would have used one on London and one on the front line Russians and all sides would have sued for peace.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 12:59:14 PM »

I think we would of pulled out of Europe, but still defeated the Japanese in 1945.

I agree. The USA would have won the Pacific campaign regardless of D-Day. However, without D-Day the USA would have to face a scenario in which it endures a Cold War, either with Nazi Germany or a pan-European Soviet Empire. Scary thought.

However, Ilikeverin may also be right in that the Allies might have nuked a major German city, bearing in mind that FDR and Churchill were planning on dropping a nuclear bomb on Cologne had they found themselves unable to invade Germany.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 01:00:36 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2004, 01:01:03 PM by Michael Z »

Germany would have developed the ABomb as they were VERY close during the real war! They would have used one on London and one on the front line Russians and all sides would have sued for peace.

One of the great ironies in history is that the Americans managed to intercept a shipment of materials which the Germans sent to Japan in order to help the Japanese develop a nuclear weapon. Those materials were later used for the nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Just a random historical fact which entered my mind there.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 01:08:02 PM »

No.

If Hitler hadn't invaded the Soviet Union, Hitler would have won the war.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 01:10:38 PM »

One of the great ironies in history is that the Americans managed to intercept a shipment of materials which the Germans sent to Japan in order to help the Japanese develop a nuclear weapon. Those materials were later used for the nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Just a random historical fact which entered my mind there.

Also the Germans and Japanese had planned a two front assault on the Panama canal. All was in place and it WOULD have happened if Japanese ships hadn't been diverted away for Midway. The Japanese had submarines that could carry aircraft and were about to be launched for the attack.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 06:14:21 PM »

No, American victory was inevitable from the moment we entered the war - and both the Germans and the Japanese were well aware of it.

However if the lack of a western front lead to Communist takover of all of Europe, we would've had to nuke them to get it back.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 06:23:49 PM »

We were still leveling their factories again and again.  Hitler was too stupid to focus on defending the factories in Silesia and instead kept his defenses and factory focus in the Ruhr and Rheinland area where we continued to bomb them.

If the Italian front stalled up in the mountains we could have found another front, such as Yugoslavia or Greece.  Both have nice nice coastlines.  Germany had a huge coastline to defend stretching from Narvik in northern Norway to Romania.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 07:47:02 PM »

General Eisenhower's statement if the invaision was lost was to assure Americans it was not Bitburg II:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 08:25:01 PM »

General Eisenhower's statement if the invaision was lost was to assure Americans it was not Bitburg II:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

Did you watch the living history thing on MSNBC? The grandchildren looked a LOT like their grandfathers.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2004, 09:49:12 PM »

Did you watch the living history thing on MSNBC? The grandchildren looked a LOT like their grandfathers.

Yes I did. Very good special. i also watched the Weather Channel "D-Day: A Weather History."
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 04:35:51 PM »

D-Day was the pivitul moment of World War II. Had it failed General Eisenhower would have been stripped of two stars and forced into retirement.

Would the Nazis have won if D-Day had failed?

While I'm very proud of Canada's action in Normandy, it did not cost Germany the war, in all honest the Russians woud likely of won the war by 1946-47. Had the invasion of Northern France failed it would of become a simple matter of beefing up Operation Anvil, what's operation Anvil you ask? Well, Anvil was the allied invasion of France from the South, they did quite well, throwing the supplies of D-Day behind it they probably could of captured France eventually. The would also of captured Austria and could of moved into the Low Countries, probably not though. But then again, by 1945 America had the bomb, and might of used it on Dresden, forcing a surrender that way.

Siege
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 05:27:33 PM »

Chance of Hitler winning the war by that time was close to zero. The only scenario where Germany isn't overrun is the fall of the Nazi government and a reconciliation between the West and Germany against the Soviets (very unlikely).

I am not sure what failure is supposed to mean here, but let's keep in mind that there was already an allied presence in Europe (Italy) and the Soviets were overrunnning Germany's Eastern front. Also, Germany was nearing collapse by the time the war ended.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies