Waltermittty v. Virginian87
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:59:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community
  Forum Community Election Match-ups (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Waltermittty v. Virginian87
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
waltermitty

Virginian87

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Waltermittty v. Virginian87  (Read 4779 times)
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 07:56:16 PM »

Virginian87 - PV: 53% 427 EC Votes
Walter Mitty - PV: 44% 111 EC Votes

Mitty would win all the liberal states especially Hawaii, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.  I wouldn't think twice about voting for Mitty over Virginian even though Mitty would run as a Republican and I am a staunch liberal Democrat.  Mitty would win this race definitely.  Virginian87 would piss of liberals and Republicans for being conservative and a Democrat.  It would cost him dearly.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 08:08:42 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2006, 08:12:56 PM by Preston Caldwell »

Come on Preston...

Mitty Lose Colorado? Montana? (You guys are way overplaying democratic gains in relatively libertarian states). And a Democratic sweep of the south...highly improbable.
I think you're over simplifying things here.  These mountain west states are overstated in libertarianism.  As once explained by Al, it's more of a backlash (as is historical) against big power in the east (whether it be bankers, the railroad companies, big beauracracy, or cities in general).

Virginian87 could connect with these voters very well.  His quietness on social issues (with a pro-gun tilt, always a plus out there) combined with a moderate, Clintonian approach to economics would be very popular.  They would take Mitty's anti-gun control, pro-amnest and illegal immigration, and (as they would view it) urban elitism and spit it out completely.

Of course, the Great Plains and the Mormon Triangle do vote Republican, by very narrow margin, by sheer party loyalty.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 08:16:07 PM »

Mitty would win all the liberal states especially Hawaii, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.  I wouldn't think twice about voting for Mitty over Virginian even though Mitty would run as a Republican and I am a staunch liberal Democrat.  Mitty would win this race definitely.  Virginian87 would piss of liberals and Republicans for being conservative and a Democrat.  It would cost him dearly.
Believe me, you are no representative of the democratic party.

If you believe young social liberals are the backbone of the party then tell me why did Howard Dean lose the democratic primary?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 08:21:36 PM »

Come on Preston...

Mitty Lose Colorado? Montana? (You guys are way overplaying democratic gains in relatively libertarian states). And a Democratic sweep of the south...highly improbable.
I think you're over simplifying things here.  These mountain west states are overstated in libertarianism.  As once explained by Al, it's more of a backlash (as is historical) against big power in the east (whether it be bankers, the railroad companies, big beauracracy, or cities in general).

Virginian87 could connect with these voters very well.  His quietness on social issues (with a pro-gun tilt, always a plus out there) combined with a moderate, Clintonian approach to economics would be very popular.  They would take Mitty's anti-gun control, pro-amnest and illegal immigration, and (as they would view it) urban elitism and spit it out completely.

Of course, the Great Plains and the Mormon Triangle do vote Republican, by very narrow margin, by sheer party loyalty.

*Maybe*

But I don't understand your rationale for the south. I can understand a lot of those states going to virginian, but all of them?

jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »

Believe me, you are no representative of the democratic party.

If you believe young social liberals are the backbone of the party then tell me why did Howard Dean lose the democratic primary?

I didn't say I was.  I do believe I am representative of liberals however.  of course, you certainly aren't a representative of the Democratic Party either.  Because Howard Dean was a nobody, a fool, and simply annoying.  Kucinich is just scary as a person.  I never once supported Dean or Kucinich during the primaries.  The Democratic field was rather terrible.  I originally supported Edwards, but later found out what a mindless pretty boy he was (I have never been more ashamed to be a Democrat than in the VP Debate where Cheney nailed Edwards to a stick, set him on fire, and then proceeded to attack him with a nuclear missile.)  I guess I liked Gephardt and Graham, but they weren't so hot either.  This is why I support Russ Feingold.  He could win the primaries an probably the general election too.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 09:56:22 AM »

I don't think it's possible that either of us would get the nomination from our respective parties.  But I think I could appeal to liberals and conservatives alike.  I think my economic stances would play well in the South and the midwest, while Walter would play well to the Southwest and the Pacific Northwest.  California would be close.  I think I could take Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, New Hampshire and Maine in the Northeast, but he'd take the rest.  I don't think I'm that conservative on social issues; I'm quite moderate actually, so I think I could make it competitive in that area.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »

There's some really stupid maps here.

There is no way Mitty would win Wisconsin with his views on unions. Or Minnesota for that matter.

I'll make one later probably.

He could pull off Minnesota is he won the liberal vote.  I agree Wisconsin would be more interesting.  So maybe a change there.

Pretty much all of the "liberal" vote in Minnesota is radically pro-union, even in the socially liberal areas. Mitty is not going to appeal in rural Minnesota, he would be CRUSHED in the Duluth area (we're talking less than 30%), and the Twin Cities aren't going to vote for anyone with an R next to their name, period. The only part of the state he'd have any appeal in at all are some of those awful suburbs, and even then only the middle ones. The inner ones are too blue collar, and the fringe exurbs are full of evangelical crazies.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 12:42:29 AM »

Virginian, easily, though I like Walter as well.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 03:57:39 AM »

I'd vote for Mitty.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »

One thing's for sure: It would be a race focused on economic issues.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 06:56:53 AM »

I'd probably vote for Virginian.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 10:53:01 AM »

Voted for Mitty in the poll, but I was thinking of "Blue Dog Dem". Make that an undecided/ likely third party vote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies