Waltermittty v. Virginian87 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:14:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community
  Forum Community Election Match-ups (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Waltermittty v. Virginian87 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
waltermitty

Virginian87

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Waltermittty v. Virginian87  (Read 4758 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« on: June 29, 2006, 06:03:56 PM »

Mitty would do well in solid Republican areas for partisan reasons, while Virginian would do well in solid Democrat areas (especially among blacks). Mitty's pro-amnesty position would sit well with many Hispanics, while it would lead to a close race in Texas. Virginian could win much of the south if he could build a coalition of religious conservatives and blacks; however I don't see fundamentalists voting for Virginian.

Generally agree...I'd flip the following states:

to Virginian
Kentucky (for the same reasons you have WV dem) to Virginian
Delaware-Wilmington and New Castle County dominate the state, and have a large african american population which we agree Virginian would do well with

To Mitty:
Colorado and Montana (Fairly libertarian states) and some of Mitty's leftist quirks would play well here.

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:52:02 PM »

and I'm not wholly sure Virginian would win Kentucky...

me thinks if the people were really allowed to vote, it would go for Bandit (Green...not shown)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 11:04:47 PM »

hmmph...is mitty the best "libertarian" Republican to run...would myself, berger, or etc have a better shot?

or worse?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 05:25:58 PM »

Virginian87 - PV: 53% 427 EC Votes
Walter Mitty - PV: 44% 111 EC Votes

Come on Preston...

Mitty Lose Colorado? Montana? (You guys are way overplaying democratic gains in relatively libertarian states). And a Democratic sweep of the south...highly improbable.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:21:36 PM »

Virginian87 - PV: 53% 427 EC Votes
Walter Mitty - PV: 44% 111 EC Votes

Come on Preston...

Mitty Lose Colorado? Montana? (You guys are way overplaying democratic gains in relatively libertarian states). And a Democratic sweep of the south...highly improbable.
I think you're over simplifying things here.  These mountain west states are overstated in libertarianism.  As once explained by Al, it's more of a backlash (as is historical) against big power in the east (whether it be bankers, the railroad companies, big beauracracy, or cities in general).

Virginian87 could connect with these voters very well.  His quietness on social issues (with a pro-gun tilt, always a plus out there) combined with a moderate, Clintonian approach to economics would be very popular.  They would take Mitty's anti-gun control, pro-amnest and illegal immigration, and (as they would view it) urban elitism and spit it out completely.

Of course, the Great Plains and the Mormon Triangle do vote Republican, by very narrow margin, by sheer party loyalty.

*Maybe*

But I don't understand your rationale for the south. I can understand a lot of those states going to virginian, but all of them?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies