CDC supports cervical cancer vaccine for 11- and 12-year-old girls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:59:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CDC supports cervical cancer vaccine for 11- and 12-year-old girls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you agree w/ the CDC?
Yes--it will keep girls healthier

No--it will promote carelessness in sex

No--It hasn't been proven effective/I'm against vaccines

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: CDC supports cervical cancer vaccine for 11- and 12-year-old girls  (Read 5107 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 09:55:36 AM »

Mandatory, no. An option, yes (assuming that it is fully tested / effective).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »

^^^^^^^
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »

^^^^^^^^

How anyone could be against this is mind boggling. Anyone who truely thinks that preventing pre-marital sex is more important than preventing cancer should be sent to Iran.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 05:55:36 PM »

Is there any other way to get this disease besides through sex?

Unless there are harmful side affects, I would support making this illegal. I am definitely against making it mandatory. If this disease is an STD only and can not be contracted any other way, then I find this vaccine unnecessary.

No, there's no other way.  You would make the drug illegal, if there aren't harmful side affects?  That doesn't make sense--"If this ... is an STD only and cannot be contracted any othe way, then I find this vaccine unnecessary."--It would be the only prevention of hte vaccine.

I am completely lost as to your postion.

Doh. "Unless there are harmful side affects, I would NOT support making this illegal. I am definitely against making it mandatory." Yeah, that might be confusing. Sorry.

I'm not too sure what would be confusing about the second part but it may be since I left out the 11 and 12 year old.
"If the only way this disease can be spread is through sexual contact, then I don't think it is necessary to get 11 and 12 year olds vacinated."

More questions though. If this is an STD, then can men get it through sex even if they don't have a cervix? Do men just carry and transfer it to woman and have no effects on themselves? If men took the vaccine, would they not spread it?

I get it now (I think)--you mean that since 11 yr-olds aren't normally having sex, it's not really necessary.

Yes, it leads to genital warts in men I believe, but I don't know what else--it's all in the article, but I don't really want to read it all again.  I do remember the article saying that they are testing (or are going to test, but I'm more confident w/ the former) a drug for men and boys.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 05:59:08 PM »

Mandatory, no. An option, yes (assuming that it is fully tested / effective).

What do you mean by option, as in you completely choose, or it's "mandatory," but you can sign the little vaccination waiver sheet?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 06:43:41 PM »

Anyone who truely thinks that preventing pre-marital sex is more important than preventing cancer should be sent to Iran.

This is certainly correct, Colin.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2006, 10:13:20 PM »

Jacobtm,
Thanks for the info.

Based on that, I am now able to make an informed decision as everyone else should. Each person should be aware of the risks and decide for themself. I don't think singling out 11 and 12 year old girls distorts the fact that this vaccine could probably benefit everyone, though I would say it adults would benefit a lot more from this than 11 and 12 year olds unless there is some benefit to the body's immune system by getting the vaccine that early.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 12:22:27 AM »

Jacobtm,
Thanks for the info.

Based on that, I am now able to make an informed decision as everyone else should. Each person should be aware of the risks and decide for themself. I don't think singling out 11 and 12 year old girls distorts the fact that this vaccine could probably benefit everyone, though I would say it adults would benefit a lot more from this than 11 and 12 year olds unless there is some benefit to the body's immune system by getting the vaccine that early.

Right, I think it SHOULD be open to the adult public (at least women, b/c it hasn't been tested on men yet), but not encouraged in minor girls.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 02:39:57 AM »

Jacobtm,
Thanks for the info.

Right, I think it SHOULD be open to the adult public (at least women, b/c it hasn't been tested on men yet), but not encouraged in minor girls.

There is no way this would have an affact on even a single gir's mind as to when to have sex.  I guarantee it. May sound extreme, but girls aren't that dumb.  We all know about AIDS and all the others and most girls don't even know about cervical cancer and HPV and this wouldn;t make any girl think "Oh, this must completely cure all diseases and stop me from getting pregnant!!!!"  I have more faith in humanity than that.  Americans may be dumb, but not THAT dumb.  Saving girls with an available vaccine is more important than preventing them from engaging in a natural, and in fact healthy (assuming that you use a condom) activity.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2006, 03:16:32 AM »

I thought this was going to turn into one of those debates about vacine conspiracy theories. Turns out it's a debate about young girls having sex, which just goes to show the mentality of the people in this forum.
Anyways, 12 year olds are vacinated against rubeolla because they may get pregnant and get rubeolla have a seriously malformed baby due to it. I don't see how this is any different, though the risk here is for the woman, not the baby. And I honestly don't think HPV was holding anyone back from having sex.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2006, 12:25:45 PM »

Jacobtm,
Thanks for the info.

There is no way this would have an affact on even a single gir's mind as to when to have sex.  I guarantee it. May sound extreme, but girls aren't that dumb.  We all know about AIDS and all the others and most girls don't even know about cervical cancer and HPV and this wouldn;t make any girl think "Oh, this must completely cure all diseases and stop me from getting pregnant!!!!"  I have more faith in humanity than that.  Americans may be dumb, but not THAT dumb.  Saving girls with an available vaccine is more important than preventing them from engaging in a natural, and in fact healthy (assuming that you use a condom) activity.

If Americans aren't dumb, why do advertisements for the Pill have disclaimers that say "Does not prevent exposure to sexual activity"?
And what about that car comercial where lady is standing next to a bullet train and the disclaimer is "Standing too close to trains may cause severe injury and death"?  Yes, Americans are stupid.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2006, 12:26:46 PM »

I thought this was going to turn into one of those debates about vacine conspiracy theories. Turns out it's a debate about young girls having sex, which just goes to show the mentality of the people in this forum.
Anyways, 12 year olds are vacinated against rubeolla because they may get pregnant and get rubeolla have a seriously malformed baby due to it. I don't see how this is any different, though the risk here is for the woman, not the baby. And I honestly don't think HPV was holding anyone back from having sex.

Apparently that's not what the mother's of these girls are thinking.  What conspiracy theories?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2006, 12:27:36 PM »

Maybe that excuses a few of the positions you hold Wink Tongue

Seriously though, that's not a very affable view to hold of your fellow countrymen.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2006, 12:46:52 AM »

Denying yound girls vaccine to stop them from having sex is quite harsh and rather fascist so...

agree with CDC (normal)

what's with this "(normal)" stuff?

Yes (normal)

To answer your question... I am not sure who started this exactly, but about a year ago, a bunch of posters used to create a whole bunch of biased polls, where one of the options would have "normal" beside it, as opposed to "Republican" or something else.  The idea being that, anyone who voted for anyother options was not normal.  It caught on, and is now kinda one of the forum inside jokes when a poster thinks that an answer to a poll question is the only normal answer.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2006, 12:50:29 AM »

Maybe that excuses a few of the positions you hold Wink Tongue

Seriously though, that's not a very affable view to hold of your fellow countrymen.

Not all of them, but come on:

1) Stick your hand in a neighbors dog cage-->get bit-->sue
2) Sue over hot coffee spilling
3) Disclaimers for comercials

Do I have to go on?  Most of America (especially on this forum) is intelligent (highly for the latter), but probably a good 10-25% lacks common sense!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2006, 11:21:29 AM »

Denying yound girls vaccine to stop them from having sex is quite harsh and rather fascist so...

agree with CDC (normal)

what's with this "(normal)" stuff?

Yes (normal)

To answer your question... I am not sure who started this exactly, but about a year ago, a bunch of posters used to create a whole bunch of biased polls, where one of the options would have "normal" beside it, as opposed to "Republican" or something else.  The idea being that, anyone who voted for anyother options was not normal.  It caught on, and is now kinda one of the forum inside jokes when a poster thinks that an answer to a poll question is the only normal answer.
It began with Brambilla asking, "What are you?"
--Gay
--Bisexual
--Normal

Others picked it up from there and ran with it.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2006, 04:52:03 PM »

Yes (Sane)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies