Two new Survey USA polls...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:13:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Polls
  Two new Survey USA polls...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two new Survey USA polls...  (Read 5436 times)
millwx

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2004, 05:36:37 PM »
« edited: July 09, 2004, 05:42:50 PM by millwx »

VA:  Bush 50%  Kerry 45%
http://www.surveyusa.com/2004_Elections/VA040709president.pdf

MO:  Bush 48%  Kerry 46%
http://www.surveyusa.com/2004_Elections/MO040709president.pdf

*Updated for links
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 05:38:18 PM »

The first thing I thought was... damn should've picked Gep!!! ... but that's not true.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 06:56:45 PM »

The first thing I thought was... damn should've picked Gep!!! ... but that's not true.

With Gep you can add 3% to Bush, likely in both polls.

Seriously, probably not in MO, but it is probably the same.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 08:33:52 AM »

The VA poll is interesting... weird choice of geographical regions tho'... what happend to SW VA?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 08:48:03 AM »

That poll has Bush with 18% of the black vote,  46!% of the hispanic vote, and 29% of the asian vote. He should do better than 29% with the last, but if something like those numbers occured he win would by a lot more than 5%.

Plus, yeah, where is the SW? I don't see how Roanoke can be considered central VA (living here my whole life, that means Richmond area), let alone Danville, Blacksburg, and the Marion-Galax area. Leaving those out would explain Bush's small lead overall and 49-43% lead among rural voters.

Survey USA sucks...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 08:54:11 AM »

Actually missing out SW VA (eg: Buchanan county) would probably dent *Kerry's* numbers... unless they can't read maps and added it all into Central VA...
I'll agree that SUSA sucks...
millwx

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 09:10:33 AM »

Actually missing out SW VA (eg: Buchanan county) would probably dent *Kerry's* numbers... unless they can't read maps and added it all into Central VA...
I would presume that Survey USA didn't purposefully leave out SW VA.  My guess is that they're in there, but the sample from that rural region is so low that they can't, with any reliability whatsoever, report the results in SW VA separately.  That sample is likely included in the "rural" sample, but is simply not broken out separately.  So, I don't think anyone benefits from this region being "missing"... because it probably isn't "missing"... it's just not reported separately.

P.S.  I wouldn't go so far as to say Survey USA "sucks", but I agree, they do seem to be occasionally a bit "off".
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 10:31:09 AM »

It would depend on where they missed... the extreme Western part (Buchanan, Dickenson; Wise was a tie) went Gore, but most the others were comfortable Bush. Tazewell, Lee, Giles, etc., not to mention Roanoke area.

Regardless, if a poll has these kinds of questions, it's effectively worthless. There are enough variables to deal with already...
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 10:32:21 AM »

Both of these ar within the MoE of the POS polls last month.  A 3 point boost from Edwards in each state is not out of the question.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 11:16:56 AM »

Why would Edwards affect VA? It's not like any part of VA is in a NC media market, besides which even North Carolinians don't like him that much...

Any Edwards boost would be a national phenomenon resulting from positive attention on the Dem ticket, not some sort of geographic appreciation...
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 12:11:34 PM »

Why would Edwards affect VA? It's not like any part of VA is in a NC media market, besides which even North Carolinians don't like him that much...

Any Edwards boost would be a national phenomenon resulting from positive attention on the Dem ticket, not some sort of geographic appreciation...

There are a few counties in south central VA that are hit by the Raleigh stations, but not enought o make a difference.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 12:30:39 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 02:10:29 PM »

Think they might have adjusted their methodology after consistently overpolling Democrats in '02? Are they the only firm that overpolled Democrats in '02? It seems like every firm that is substantially off makes that mistake.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 02:52:15 PM »

Think they might have adjusted their methodology after consistently overpolling Democrats in '02? Are they the only firm that overpolled Democrats in '02? It seems like every firm that is substantially off makes that mistake.

Actually, Survey USA is pretty darn close to "down the middle" - they do miss a fair bit here and there, but they are no mor elikely to miss left as they are to miss right.

I generally cut SUSA some slack - they use Robot calls as per Rasmussen, which I structurally have some doubts about, but on Balance a pretty decent firm.

When I poll screws up, it usually misses left a lot more oftent han it misses right.

This is due to the reponse rates of Republicans and Democrats.

Republicans tend to have higher incomes, and hence are away from home more, and also (increasingly) have things like call block / call display which tends to make it harder to contact GOP voters.

The good firms properly adjust for this, the bad firms do not.

There are, IMHO only three notable polling outfits that DELIBERATELY skew their results:

LA Times
CBS News
Minnesota Star Tribune

Survey USA misses the mark, but mostly in a random way Smiley

AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 02:59:38 PM »

Was the methodology for those final polls the same as the ones discussed on this thread?

Maybe I shouldn't say they 'suck,' but that VA poll sure did...
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 03:12:45 PM »

Was the methodology for those final polls the same as the ones discussed on this thread?

Maybe I shouldn't say they 'suck,' but that VA poll sure did...

As far as I know SUSA in 2004 is identical to SUSA 2004 in terms of methods.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies