The Ensuring Personal Security Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:23:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Ensuring Personal Security Bill  (Read 1733 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:08:52 AM »

Section 1: Applicability
1. This act shall only apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories which do not form part of any region.

Section 2: Identity Fraud and Privacy Protection
(a) The security of personal information that could be used to identify a citizen is hereby protected.  This information shall be known as Protected Personal Information, or "PPI."
(b) PPI shall be defined to include both financial and medical information.
(c) Medical records as well as any genetic information that has been generated may only be viewed by another party when a citizen specifically and voluntarily authorizes that information to be shared. An insurer shall not require the release of genetic information by a preexisting or potential customer, nor shall any genetic information be taken into consideration when insurance-related decisions are made. The disclosure of personal medical information of any nature shall be limited to between the patient and the medical care provider, but the patient shall be permitted to authorize disclosure to other entities, as necesary in the course of treatment or for other purposes, at the patient's discretion. This information shall be used only within the legal relationships established voluntarily by the patient.
(d) Personal financial information of a citizen may be viewed only by individuals or entities specifically and voluntarily authorized by that citizen. Financial guarantors, whether individuals or commercial entities, may request financial PPI. Disclosure by the citizen shall be optional, but the guarantor may decline transacting with the individual solely on the grounds of refusal by the individual to release requested financial PPI. The guarantor may also decline transacting with the individual solely because of the nature and status of that individual's financial PPI.
(e) Commercial entities and individuals shall not sell PPI or pass it on in any way or by any means that violate the rules established by this act.
(f) Fines for violations shall be $10,000 per individual whose PPI has been handled illegally, to be imposed upon the violator of the provisions of this act.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »

I have a serious concern.  Would not DNA samples of criminals be protected from being shared with juries if the defendant didn't consent.  DNA is genetic information.  I would like to see that addressed.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 11:20:09 AM »

I have a serious concern.  Would not DNA samples of criminals be protected from being shared with juries if the defendant didn't consent.  DNA is genetic information.

We would assume that criminal investigations would not be limited by this bill, for such information could still be subpoenaed by a court.

For the record, this bill is based closely on an initiative I proposed as a citizen of the Southeast about one year ago as my first foray into Atlasian politics.  I thank Senator MasterJedi for deeming it worthy of Federal application and would be happy to answer any questions the Senate might have regarding the implications of and necessity for this bill.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:45:42 AM »

I have a serious concern.  Would not DNA samples of criminals be protected from being shared with juries if the defendant didn't consent.  DNA is genetic information.

We would assume that criminal investigations would not be limited by this bill, for such information could still be subpoenaed by a court.

For the record, this bill is based closely on an initiative I proposed as a citizen of the Southeast about one year ago as my first foray into Atlasian politics.  I thank Senator MasterJedi for deeming it worthy of Federal application and would be happy to answer any questions the Senate might have regarding the implications of and necessity for this bill.

This seems to usurp that legal right to subpoena.  I'll trust you if it does not.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »

This seems to usurp that legal right to subpoena.  I'll trust you if it does not.

Actually, an opinion from the court might be helpful on that...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 10:19:19 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Section 1: Applicability
1. This act shall only apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories which do not form part of any region.

Section 2: Identity Fraud and Privacy Protection
(a) The security of personal information that could be used to identify a citizen is hereby protected.  This information shall be known as Protected Personal Information, or "PPI."
(b) PPI shall be defined to include both financial and medical information.
(c) Medical records as well as any genetic information that has been generated may only be viewed by another party when a citizen specifically and voluntarily authorizes that information to be shared. An insurer shall not require the release of genetic information by a preexisting or potential customer, nor shall any genetic information be taken into consideration when insurance-related decisions are made. The disclosure of personal medical information of any nature shall be limited to between the patient and the medical care provider, but the patient shall be permitted to authorize disclosure to other entities, as necesary in the course of treatment or for other purposes, at the patient's discretion. This information shall be used only within the legal relationships established voluntarily by the patient.
(d) Personal financial information of a citizen may be viewed only by individuals or entities specifically and voluntarily authorized by that citizen. Financial guarantors, whether individuals or commercial entities, may request financial PPI. Disclosure by the citizen shall be optional, but the guarantor may decline transacting with the individual solely on the grounds of refusal by the individual to release requested financial PPI. The guarantor may also decline transacting with the individual solely because of the nature and status of that individual's financial PPI.
(e) Commercial entities and individuals shall not sell PPI or pass it on in any way or by any means that violate the rules established by this act.
(f) Fines for violations shall be $10,000 per individual whose PPI has been handled illegally, to be imposed upon the violator of the provisions of this act.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 10:19:40 AM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 10:53:46 AM »

Aye

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 11:22:37 AM »

Aye.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 03:56:55 PM »

Aye
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 07:22:34 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 06:04:39 AM »

One more vote to pass!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »

Yup (too bad the court didn't weigh in)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 05:50:15 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 07:16:25 AM »

With 6 Ayes, 0 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signiture.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 07:19:03 AM »

Ebowed
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies