Is the caption for this picture factual to the picture shown?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:07:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the caption for this picture factual to the picture shown?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ***
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Is the caption for this picture factual to the picture shown?  (Read 2571 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:54:53 PM »

No, of course not. As stated by MODU small little flags like that and paper flags aren't covered by the Flag Code.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »

Who cares?  It's a piece of cloth.  I don't care how big it is.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 12:58:47 PM »

Yes, I know you don't care about your country and its history. Next.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 01:11:55 PM »

Haha, exactly what I thought when I saw it.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 01:45:29 PM »

Also, the code gives the President the power to modify it.  Therefore, he cannot violate it.  All he does is change the rules for the moment.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 03:45:05 PM »

I care more about the actual country.  If George Bush starts signing his name in huge letters across, say, Kansas and Missouri, I'll be the first to step up and say that is wrong.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »

I care more about the actual country.  If George Bush starts signing his name in huge letters across, say, Kansas and Missouri, I'll be the first to step up and say that is wrong.

What has happened to people in this country? I swear. Back in the time when people loved their country they would fight and DIE for their flag. During the Civil War it was a great HONOR to carry the banner (of either nation) when the man carrying it was killed another brave individual would step right up and grab it and if he was shot he would have been glad to take that bullet for his country. Nowadays, I could probably go up to the Iwo Jima monument, take down the flag, stomp and spit on it and I bet people like Lunar or Tweed wouldn't give a second thought about it because "it's just a flag". When you step on the nations flag you are stepping on a symbol of everything that nation stands for. You can bet your ass if I saw someone spit on my flag and stomp it into the ground I'd beat their ass in a heartbeat.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 03:52:33 PM »

You can bet your ass if I saw someone spit on my flag and stomp it into the ground I'd beat their ass in a heartbeat.

lol, I don't see how its worse to stomp on a piece of cloth than it is to assault someone, but to each his own.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 03:55:02 PM »

You can bet your ass if I saw someone spit on my flag and stomp it into the ground I'd beat their ass in a heartbeat.

lol, I don't see how its worse to stomp on a piece of cloth than it is to assault someone, but to each his own.

Because I'd be proud to defend my country? A country you obviously don't care about.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 03:58:29 PM »

What has happened to people in this country? I swear. Back in the time when people loved their country they would fight and DIE for their flag. During the Civil War it was a great HONOR to carry the banner (of either nation) when the man carrying it was killed another brave individual would step right up and grab it and if he was shot he would have been glad to take that bullet for his country. Nowadays, I could probably go up to the Iwo Jima monument, take down the flag, stomp and spit on it and I bet people like Lunar or Tweed wouldn't give a second thought about it because "it's just a flag". When you step on the nations flag you are stepping on a symbol of everything that nation stands for. You can bet your ass if I saw someone spit on my flag and stomp it into the ground I'd beat their ass in a heartbeat.

I do not think a piece of cloth should be worth more than a human life.  I don't see why this makes me a lesser human being.  Naturally the military during past times would do what it did because it was a great moral booster for convincing troops not to turn around and run. 

I personally hang up the American flag and often have an American flag hanging on one of my hats (coincidentially, the police broke part of it off in Washington, but that's another story).

I refuse to compartamentalize everything this country stands for into something so small.  I think this country is greater than flag and the people that are in it are part of what makes it great.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 04:02:53 PM »

Because I'd be proud to defend my country? A country you obviously don't care about.

Somehow you see somebody stomping on cotton and you country is in danger?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 04:03:14 PM »

Hmmm... I put a Bush sticker on a small flag like that one once... I guess I have desecrated the flag.  I better turn myself in to Big Brother now.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 04:07:58 PM »

Hmmm... I put a Bush sticker on a small flag like that one once... I guess I have desecrated the flag.  I better turn myself in to Big Brother now.

As been stated a dozen times before. Small flags like that don't fall under the flag code.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 04:10:17 PM »

Wrong:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Burning the flag, however, is OK:

http://suvcw.org/flag.htm
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 04:10:41 PM »

I can understand the deep respect that Americans have for their flag. I have the same kind of deep respect to the Union Jack which proudly hangs in my room.

That being said, flag code or not, I don't think that this is a god awful offense. A fan asked for his autograph and happened to hand him a small 75 cent flag that he most likely bought at wal-mart on his way to the rally. What was Bush going to do? Be a defiant asshole and go "NO I WILL NOT SIGN YOUR CHEAP FLAG WHICH WAS MADE IN TAIWAN! YOU UNAMERICAN HIPPY!". Some people really just need to give the guy a break...must we bust his balls over every little thing?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 04:14:51 PM »

Wrong:

Well, JFRAUD, that little snippet says nothing about small flags.

[/quote]

Why don't you read the part that you DIDN'T bother to highlight. I'll mark it out for your illiterate self.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 04:20:27 PM »

Wrong:

Why don't you read the part that you DIDN'T bother to highlight. I'll mark it out for your illiterate self.
[/quote]

OK, so burning a flag is a dignified way to dispose of it. Do you have a point?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 04:25:03 PM »

Wrong:

[/quote]

Thats a good question for you, what point are you trying to make by continually posting that? Are you saying that protestors that burn the flag are doing so in a dignified way? Do you even know what ceremony is preformed when a flag is preformed? Have you ever seen the ceremony yourself?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 04:54:39 PM »

Wrong:

Thats a good question for you, what point are you trying to make by continually posting that? Are you saying that protestors that burn the flag are doing so in a dignified way? Do you even know what ceremony is preformed when a flag is preformed? Have you ever seen the ceremony yourself?
[/quote]

No, never seen such a ceremony, but I'm guessing they're far more common than a flag burning protest.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 05:32:21 PM »

Somehow I dont think it was meant as a serious indictment of Bush, but as a throwaway joke...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 05:33:23 PM »

Somehow I dont think it was meant as a serious indictment of Bush, but as a throwaway joke...

It's really just point out how much of a hypocrite he is. There are of course better reasons for why a Flag Burning amendment is a stupid idea, but this is still interesting.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »

I say no:
1) The Pres. can't violate the f.c.
2) Small flags aren't under the f.c. (but in my mind, they should be).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 05:44:22 PM »

1) The Pres. can't violate the f.c.

This President is considering ignoring the Supreme Court of the United States. He can do whatever he wants, it just isn't necessarily legal.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »

When you step on the nations flag you are stepping on a symbol of everything that nation stands for.

Now that's just wrong.

If Mr. Tough Guy is going to beat up every person who desecrates a flag, why do you need to make it illegal?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 08:38:59 PM »

People don't care any more.  They worry more about themselves and what's good for them rather than what's good for the country.  Part of it is partisan politics polluting their thoughts, other is the affluence of the nation, making people more materiallistic.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies