1920: TR lives.

(1/2) > >>

WalterMitty:
america's elder statesman, teddy roosevelt decides to make another run for the presidency.  11 years removed from the oval office and 62 years old, TR rather easily wins the republican nomination, despite some grumblings from the conservative factions.

however, the conservatives grew irate and walked out of the convention when the progressive senator from wisonsin, bob lafollette was nominated as vice president.

the conservatives held a convention of their own a week later where massachusetts governor calvin coolidge was nominated for president.  coolidge, a quiet man, reluctantly accepted the nomination.  coolidge chose former comptroller of the currency and WWI veteran, charles dawes as his running mate.

democrats nominate ohio governor, james cox as its presidential contender.  cox chooses assistant sec of the navy (and distant TR cousin) franklin roosevelt as his running mate.

discuss this election between:

t. roosevelt/lafollette (r)
cox/f. roosevelt (d)
coolidge/dawes (i)

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└:
I think that FDR would not have run against his distant cousin who was also his uncle in-law who gave away orphaned Eleanor at the younger Roosevelts wedding.

WalterMitty:
Quote from: jfern on June 30, 2006, 05:30:50 PM

I think that FDR would not have run against his distant cousin who was also his uncle in-law who gave away orphaned Eleanor at the younger Roosevelts wedding.

TR's daughter endorsed hoover over fdr in 32.

True Democrat:
Weren't TR and LaFollette enemies or something?

Colin:
Quote from: TD on June 30, 2006, 08:53:33 PM

Weren't TR and LaFollette enemies or something?

Yes very much so. They hated each other as LaFollette always thought that TR stole his limelight and was trying to keep him down by passing him over in 1912. Plus I think it was also just a clash of personalities. So no they wouldn't be on the ticket together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page