Vatican Seeks to Excommunicate Stem-Cell Researchers Who Use Human Embryos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:58:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Vatican Seeks to Excommunicate Stem-Cell Researchers Who Use Human Embryos
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vatican Seeks to Excommunicate Stem-Cell Researchers Who Use Human Embryos  (Read 956 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:50:56 PM »

Excommunication is Sought for Stem Cell Researchers

By ELISABETH ROSENTHAL
Published: July 1, 2006

ROME, June 30 — Scientists who engage in stem cell research using human embryos should be subject to excommunication from the Roman Catholic Church, according to a senior Vatican official.

Cardinal Alfonso López Trujillo, who heads the group that proposes family-related policy for the church, said in an interview with the Catholic weekly Famiglia Cristiana published Thursday that stem cell researchers should be punished in the same way as women who have abortions and doctors who perform them.

"Destroying an embryo is equivalent to abortion," said the cardinal. "Excommunication is valid for the women, the doctors and researchers who destroy embryos."

It was unclear if the pope supported the position, and the Vatican did not return calls for comment. But such blunt remarks from a powerful cardinal just a week before the church convenes a meeting to discuss the topic could foreshadow a hardening of Vatican policy on the issue, experts said.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 06:04:30 AM »

Good.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 08:31:48 AM »

Shocked Wow! For once we agree. This even further improves my view of the church.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 08:46:03 AM »

The Church can excommunicate who it likes. While I don't agree with their stance on this (they can excommunicate divorcees if they want to, but on the most part wouldn't take that step) if it's how they feel, it's how they feel.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 08:11:53 PM »

You know, I seriously doubt there are many stem-cell researchers using human embryos who are members of the Roman Catholic Church, given the church's stance on this type of thing. So, I don't think this'll have much impact at all.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 08:25:02 PM »

You know, I seriously doubt there are many stem-cell researchers using human embryos who are members of the Roman Catholic Church, given the church's stance on this type of thing.

Right, because we all know it's very rare for Catholics to ever disobey the church. For evidence we can look at the birth rates in places like Spain, Italy and the Catholic parts of the US for evidence that most Catholics actually do follow the church's stance on contraception (serious sarcasm)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 08:38:01 PM »

You know, I seriously doubt there are many stem-cell researchers using human embryos who are members of the Roman Catholic Church, given the church's stance on this type of thing.

Right, because we all know it's very rare for Catholics to ever disobey the church. For evidence we can look at the birth rates in places like Spain, Italy and the Catholic parts of the US for evidence that most Catholics actually do follow the church's stance on contraception (serious sarcasm)

Don't you think that typically speaking most church members take the abortion stance much more seriously than the contraception stance?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 08:39:36 PM »

Don't you think that typically speaking most church members take the abortion stance much more seriously than the contraception stance?

The number is probably higher, but not to the point where Catholics who are por-choice or stem cell researchers is statistically insignificant.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 09:03:20 PM »

Regardless of one's opinion of this, it does fit with the Church's view of embryonic stem-cell research.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 09:45:17 AM »

The vast majority of Catholics are Catholic because they were born Catholic full stop.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies