What do you want to have happen regarding control of Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:16:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What do you want to have happen regarding control of Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Republicans retain both houses

Democrats gain just House

Democrats gain just Senate

Democrats sweep both houses

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: What do you want to have happen regarding control of Congress?  (Read 4220 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2006, 03:21:40 AM »

Remember, this is what you want to have happen, not what you think will happen.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 04:23:29 AM »

Democrats get large majorities in both houses.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 05:14:10 AM »

Democrats sweep both houses.  I'd like to see some gridlock, and some punishment for the GOP.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 08:28:36 AM »

Democrats sweep both houses.  I'd like to see some gridlock, and some punishment for the GOP.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 10:28:18 AM »

Democrats gain the House.  I'd like to see some gridlock but the Republicans still be able to control the Judiciary.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 10:31:22 AM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2006, 11:53:18 AM by Blue Dog Dem »

To have Democrats controlling Congress and 'hounding' President Bush would be the best possible outcome for the Republican Party, allowing the GOP to take a breather, and use the resulting backlash from all the investigations to take back Congress and retain the White House in Republican hands for another four years -at least.

For this reason I prefer letting the GOP retain control of Congress this November, but with margins so slim they won't be able to accomplish much if anything.  This way the GOP will get the blame for whatever goes wrong as the party in power, but virtually none of the benefits accruing to that status.

So option 1.
---------------------

And before Jfern & Co. lunge for me, I'd like to remind them of jfern's statement at the beginning of this thread:

Suppose they have 50 Senators and 217 Representatives after the midterms. Would this be better than winning back a branch of Congress. Obviously it would be best for America to stop the pain ASAP, but.... 62 million people voted for these crazies. Why not let them get another 2 years of FUBAR to hopefully really come to their senses. 2006 is too soon after 2004. Democrats made it clear that this was the most important election of our lifetime, and 62 million people didn't seem to give a sh**t. America needs some pain to wake up. Serious pain.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 12:17:05 PM »

Republicans retain both houses.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 08:17:05 PM »

Democrats gain the House.  I'd like to see some gridlock but the Republicans still be able to control the Judiciary.

Preeeeeeeecisely.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »

I'd really rather have the Republicans in control for good. Whatever bad they've done will be even worse under any Democratic control.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 10:13:04 PM »

Reps. keep it all!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 10:52:10 AM »

I'd really rather have the Republicans in control for good. Whatever bad they've done will be even worse under any Democratic control.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 10:59:35 AM »

It could go either way. I think that if the Democrats do not win back both houses of Congress this year, they will almost certainly do so in 2008 and would not risk screwing up before a presidential election. If the Dems win back both houses this year, keeping a majority will depend on how well they manage things. I am confident that they will be effective and debate/pass legislation rather than waste their time with nonsense like the GOP Congress does.

I hope they sweep both houses.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 11:49:24 AM »

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 02:00:06 PM »

Republican gains in both houses.  Primarily because the ultra-libs around here gnashign their teeth and pulling their hair out would be more entertaining than the ultra-cons.  More of them and they are more likely to have some great, humorous in-fighting posts.  The term "DINO" would be thrown around so much we could rename this forum "Jurassic Park"
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »

I'd prefer a strong Democratic Majority in the House and a slim GOP Majority in the Senate with Snowe as Majority leader.  Then a progressive Democratic POTUS in '08.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »

i reluctantly support the republicans.

at the very least, bill frist will be out as leader.  so, that is a small reason to optimistic.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 01:57:30 AM »

Democrats take control of both houses. We need divided government.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 02:00:51 AM »

Republican gains in both houses.  Primarily because the ultra-libs around here gnashign their teeth and pulling their hair out would be more entertaining than the ultra-cons.  More of them and they are more likely to have some great, humorous in-fighting posts.  The term "DINO" would be thrown around so much we could rename this forum "Jurassic Park"

With all due respect, I think stopping the Republicans from further putting us into debt and war is a bit more important than funny at this point, as much as I value funny.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 03:34:28 AM »

Democrats take control of both houses. We need divided government.

so if the dems win the congress, you will be supporting a republican for president in 08?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »

With all due respect, I think stopping the Republicans from further putting us into debt and war is a bit more important than funny at this point, as much as I value funny.

So you prefer the Democrats put us further into debt and cut and run?

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 10:08:17 AM »

Right now, I'm unsure.  I'm leaning towards Democrats gain just the House because I like Senate Republicans a lot more than House Republicans.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 01:16:25 PM »

Last option.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »

No; I prefer gridlock.  Certainly, gridlocked Dems will have trouble getting us any further into debt than the Republicans.  The Democrats may not be a better option, but there needs to be a message to the GOP that it can't keep acting like this.  Retaining lage margins in the legislature will just get them back in their current mindset of, "hey, look, the American people just justified our actions for us!"
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 04:05:09 PM »

No; I prefer gridlock.  Certainly, gridlocked Dems will have trouble getting us any further into debt than the Republicans.  The Democrats may not be a better option, but there needs to be a message to the GOP that it can't keep acting like this.  Retaining lage margins in the legislature will just get them back in their current mindset of, "hey, look, the American people just justified our actions for us!"

Gridlock does not work that way.  It only works when the Dems are in the high office and Republicans in Congress.  Look at Reagan.    In order to get the funding for his goals the Dems required him to fund their plans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies