What do you want to have happen regarding control of Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:33:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What do you want to have happen regarding control of Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Republicans retain both houses

Democrats gain just House

Democrats gain just Senate

Democrats sweep both houses

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: What do you want to have happen regarding control of Congress?  (Read 4221 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 12:07:01 PM »

Republican gains in both houses.  Primarily because the ultra-libs around here gnashign their teeth and pulling their hair out would be more entertaining than the ultra-cons.  More of them and they are more likely to have some great, humorous in-fighting posts.  The term "DINO" would be thrown around so much we could rename this forum "Jurassic Park"

With all due respect, I think stopping the Republicans from further putting us into debt and war is a bit more important than funny at this point, as much as I value funny.

So you prefer the Democrats put us further into debt and cut and run?

I can't believe that you listen to that "cut and run" garbage.  Seems that has become the catchphrase of right-wing talk radio and the national Republican Party.  If the Dems win control of Congress, I guarantee we will try to work on an eventual pullout of Iraq, not some shortsighted scheme that will pull out the troops immediately, leaving the new government in danger of collapse.  Second of all, I highly doubt economic policies of a Democratic Congress would put us further into debt.  They certainly would be better than the Bush Administration's tax cuts that the Republican Congress has rubber-stamped.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »

As for the answer to the orginal question, I'd like the Democrats to take control of the House and Senate, but only if Nancy Pelosi does not become Speaker of the House.  I think we could use divided government right now, as nym90 pointed out.  Should Pelosi become Speaker, we will be totally discredited at the Congressional level and, as Frodo said, we will suffer losses in 2008.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »

Republican gains in both houses.  Primarily because the ultra-libs around here gnashign their teeth and pulling their hair out would be more entertaining than the ultra-cons.  More of them and they are more likely to have some great, humorous in-fighting posts.  The term "DINO" would be thrown around so much we could rename this forum "Jurassic Park"

With all due respect, I think stopping the Republicans from further putting us into debt and war is a bit more important than funny at this point, as much as I value funny.

I can't believe that you listen to that "cut and run" garbage.  Seems that has become the catchphrase of right-wing talk radio and the national Republican Party.  If the Dems win control of Congress, I guarantee we will try to work on an eventual pullout of Iraq, not some shortsighted scheme that will pull out the troops immediately, leaving the new government in danger of collapse.  Second of all, I highly doubt economic policies of a Democratic Congress would put us further into debt.  They certainly would be better than the Bush Administration's tax cuts that the Republican Congress has rubber-stamped.

When Pelosi started talking cut and run, I listened.  When democrats started putting forward bills calling for an immediate withdrawal, or full withdrawal by years end I listened.

It is also amazing how the total revenue from income taxes is actually up in recent years, isn't it?

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 05:01:11 PM »

Yes, Democrats always put us further into debt.
Please ignore my signature.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 05:46:11 PM »

It is also amazing how the total revenue from income taxes is actually up in recent years, isn't it?

I fail to see how increased federal revenue has put the government into debt.  What I do see is how the Bush Administration's tax cuts have erased a huge federal surplus from the Clinton Administration and that this Administration's fiscal policy, combined with its spending on the war, has made federal deficits larger than at any time in the last half-century. 

So tell me again why a Democratic Congress would plunge America further into debt?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 07:00:25 PM »

I fail to see how increased federal revenue has put the government into debt.  What I do see is how the Bush Administration's tax cuts have erased a huge federal surplus from the Clinton Administration and that this Administration's fiscal policy, combined with its spending on the war, has made federal deficits larger than at any time in the last half-century. 

So tell me again why a Democratic Congress would plunge America further into debt?

My point is that the reduced income taxes have increased government revenue.  You said the Dems would be better than the tax cutting Republicans directly implying the cuts have hurt revenue driving us into debt.

If the Dems take Congress we will see higher taxes, flat revenue growth, and higher spending; unless Bush pulls out the veto pen.

History shows it again and again.  Give me a moderate democrat who is a foreign policy hawk in the big chair and a Republican Congress.  If you cannot give me that, I'll take a "-R" following each branch.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies