Feingold says AL is "check-cashing stores and abject trailer parks"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:15:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Feingold says AL is "check-cashing stores and abject trailer parks"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Feingold says AL is "check-cashing stores and abject trailer parks"  (Read 4479 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2006, 08:37:38 AM »

You have to give feingold some credit. he tells it as it is. So for you republicans out there, this is what he said about Clinton before kosovo; "no timetable for withdrawal, no cost estimate, and no exit strategy."

He is never going to win a southern state so why not tell them what the truth. they are common white trash. you cant have an intelligent conversation with these people because they dont believe in evolution. so you go russ. you tell these scum what they really are..
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 08:48:29 AM »

Considering that he is supposed to be a member of the "tolerant", "inclusive" party, isn't it a little detrimental to his cause to draw such a geographic line in the nation's political landscape? I would assume that he is trying to pander to the new breed of rebellious youth that loves alternative lifestyles unless the lifestyle at hand is alternative to theirs. This kind of divisive social vomit is the raw material from which failures are made, Feingold has made very clear his chances of ever being a national leader.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:08:38 AM »

Well, I would understand why he is fed up with the South.  More than enough times the people of the Southern states have let they're bigotry, intolerance, and backward thinking hinder our nation's progress and I understand why someone who cares about the nation would look at a state like Alabama this way, which does things like, I dunno, ignore our Constitution and any non-Christian to remind everyone that God is blessing our country on their license plates (we all remember that ground-breaking decision right?- https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=32384.0 -).  Yes, it's such a non-issue.... but that's the point, why would you be so ignorant to do something so......unimportant?  It's an inconvienient truth to say the least... it's not like I want to see fellow Americans view things in such a way...but they do and it's annoying to anyone who wants to see the country make social progress. 
MissCatholic

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 09:13:47 AM »

its annoying that they dont believe in dinosaurs..believe that the world is 12,000 years old...neandathals were never here. the list goes on and on why? religion..its a money making machine.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:51 AM »

Well, I would understand why he is fed up with the South.  More than enough times the people of the Southern states have let they're bigotry, intolerance, and backward thinking hinder our nation's progress and I understand why someone who cares about the nation would look at a state like Alabama this way, which does things like, I dunno, ignore our Constitution and any non-Christian to remind everyone that God is blessing our country on their license plates (we all remember that ground-breaking decision right?- https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=32384.0 -).  Yes, it's such a non-issue.... but that's the point, why would you be so ignorant to do something so......unimportant?  It's an inconvienient truth to say the least... it's not like I want to see fellow Americans view things in such a way...but they do and it's annoying to anyone who wants to see the country make social progress. 

I'm sure they see you as a whiny, fiscal liberal with no regard for  their culture because you are no more than a spoiled elitist. This is the problem with this country, far to polarized.  They think you suck because you're half of the country is imposing all of these assisne taxes and constitutional violations such as gun and smoking bans. You think they suck because they like to flaunt their religion, sometimes in the form of legislation. I personally think the North and the South both need to drink a big cup of Shut the  up and work on building America rather than playing the "Who Can Be the Biggest Elitist Asshole Game".
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »

If any of you had actually read his article, you would know that he's not attacking Alabamians. He does mention the poverty of the area, but says that the people were incredibly friendly (even the diehard Republicans), and he enjoyed his stay. Basically, he's calling for the Democrats to reach out to such low-income voters, who by all rights should be supporting leftist economic programs... in other words, the opposite of the original poster's interpretation ("southerners can go to hell").
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:43:56 AM »

I'm sure they see you as a whiny, fiscal liberal with no regard for  their culture because you are no more than a spoiled elitist. This is the problem with this country, far to polarized.  They think you suck because you're half of the country is imposing all of these assisne taxes and constitutional violations such as gun and smoking bans. You think they suck because they like to flaunt their religion, sometimes in the form of legislation. I personally think the North and the South both need to drink a big cup of Shut the  up and work on building America rather than playing the "Who Can Be the Biggest Elitist Asshole Game".

Yes, this is a problem, but I refuse to compromise with stupidity.  And they feel the same way....vicious cycle, but this is why we have free speech right?  We're allowed to have debate, even if it gets nasty, better with it than without. 

And I'm far from a fiscal liberal...... : P
MissCatholic

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 10:32:17 AM »

If any of you had actually read his article, you would know that he's not attacking Alabamians. He does mention the poverty of the area, but says that the people were incredibly friendly (even the diehard Republicans), and he enjoyed his stay. Basically, he's calling for the Democrats to reach out to such low-income voters, who by all rights should be supporting leftist economic programs... in other words, the opposite of the original poster's interpretation ("southerners can go to hell").

1st rule with republicans..they twist everything.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 10:37:25 AM »

Feingold should look at his own State first before saying anything, WI is pretty hickish if you ask me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »

Obviously Feingold's point is that Alabama, like most US states, is filled with poors.   This is an obvious fact, and I'm sure he sympathizes with these victims of the system rather than condemns them as a Republican would do.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »

Well I can't say I'm a fan of the south but the fact that Feingold went to Alabama twice to try and connect with the poor shows me something.  Although it seems like a waste of a perfectly good couple of days to go to Alabama.... =)
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2006, 12:14:02 PM by Jacobtm »

Way to not even reference what Feingold said.

"After our meal that evening, we drove around Greenville [AL] to see what there was to see. And what we saw -- check-cashing stores and abject trailer parks, and some of the hardest-used cars for sale on a very rundown lot -- told us the people there were hurting economically and deserved more than they were getting.

Now, I know that some from Alabama reading this may dismiss my comments as those of a lesser Neil Young, just another person Southern Man doesn't need around anyhow. But I've traveled enough to know that there are Greenvilles all over this country, including in my home state of Wisconsin. Having held town hall meetings in every one of Wisconsin's 72 counties each year for the past 12 years, I've heard repeatedly of the difficult struggles that so many working families are enduring in both urban and rural areas. And in this Greenville, the one in Alabama, I connected again to an American experience that isn't dictated by whether you live in a red state or a blue state.

The people of Alabama appear to be among the most generous and most unsung philanthropists in this country. What they give is unimaginable to many others and they give it time and again: They regularly give their turn at the American dream to someone else. And they give it simply because they're asked. So many people in Greenville don't seem to have basic healthcare coverage or promising job opportunities. Meanwhile, their children volunteer to risk their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. I can only be humbled by their sacrifice...

Now, some may think that Alabama and Wisconsin are the polar opposites of American politics. But in both states I've found that -- along with sharing a sincere appreciation of a good turkey dinner -- too many hardworking people are losing their battles for decent paying jobs and adequate healthcare. I'm tired of seeing the power-hungry persuade the hardworking people of this country that the only way to preserve important values is to vote against their own families' basic interests. I believe that the working people of both states have sacrificed for other people's agendas for too long. And I believe that any political party or political movement or political candidate who would consistently say this would be heard throughout America.

We need to go to the Greenvilles of every state, red and blue, and say, "Thank you. You've sacrificed long enough. Now it's your turn at the American dream."

http://dir.salon.com/story/opinion/feature/2004/12/21/alabama/index.html

You may not agree with what he's saying, but he isn't insulting AL, he's saying Republicans have screwed it over and implying that AL residents should vote for Dems to have a better future.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 12:16:40 PM »

Ya'll are all fine with me to move to Canada, you know, no Southerners there.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 12:28:38 PM »

What a moronic spin on a pretty classy speech. You're not insane, MissCatholic, just ignorant.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »

Yeah, they don't have 'white trash' or 'trailer parks' or 'check cashing stores' up north. Roll Eyes
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »

Yeah, they don't have 'white trash' or 'trailer parks' or 'check cashing stores' up north. Roll Eyes

If you're referring to Feingold's piece...

But I've traveled enough to know that there are Greenvilles all over this country, including in my home state of Wisconsin..
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 01:25:18 PM »

If you're referring to Feingold's piece...

But I've traveled enough to know that there are Greenvilles all over this country, including in my home state of Wisconsin..

I was talking to Nomo relies.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 01:27:49 PM »

Okay, I wasn't sure. Sorry Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 02:02:15 PM »

Why does this thread exist?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 02:04:58 PM »

Philosophy need not apply, Jfern.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 02:15:53 PM »

We could tell trash like Nomo to get out of my good states as well.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 03:21:16 PM »

I'm sure they see you as a whiny, fiscal liberal with no regard for  their culture because you are no more than a spoiled elitist. This is the problem with this country, far to polarized.  They think you suck because you're half of the country is imposing all of these assisne taxes and constitutional violations such as gun and smoking bans. You think they suck because they like to flaunt their religion, sometimes in the form of legislation. I personally think the North and the South both need to drink a big cup of Shut the  up and work on building America rather than playing the "Who Can Be the Biggest Elitist Asshole Game".

And I'm far from a fiscal liberal...... : P

Yes, and that is exactly how the game works. They see your red northern avatar and assume "whiny fiscal liberal, social engineer". When you see a blue southern avatar (even if it's subliminally) you assume "uneducated prick". Free speech is great, if you read a few of my posts you'll know that I highly bank on the first ammendment Wink. The problem is that we can't dividing our people, at least not geographically. We tried once already, didn't work out so well.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »

I've read the article, and I agree.  Feingold was clearly saying that he was worried about Alabama's economic status.   I don't see any implication that this poverty is a failure on the part of Alabama's citizens.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 12:34:22 AM »

If Feingold is elected President, he'll be President for all America and not just Democrats or blue states . He shouldn't disparage his (potential) future constituents like this.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 12:38:29 AM »

More than enough times the people of the Southern states have let they're bigotry, intolerance, and backward thinking hinder our nation's progress and I understand why someone who cares about the nation would look at a state like Alabama this way, which does things like, I dunno, ignore our Constitution and any non-Christian to remind everyone that God is blessing our country on their license plates (we all remember that ground-breaking decision right?- https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=32384.0 -).

That sentence sets all sorts of records.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies