Tim Kaine: Honeymoon is over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:07:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tim Kaine: Honeymoon is over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Tim Kaine: Honeymoon is over  (Read 4902 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
« edited: July 07, 2006, 11:11:19 AM by In The Land of the Insane »

Masterjedi - christianity is dying.

In Europe its virtually dead. Italians are beginning to understand. Afirca is religious but thats because they are under-developed.

Religion exists where poverty is. No poverty in a nation. no religion. america treats its poor like trash. europe looks after everyone.

Who do you want to give money too?

Bill O'Reilly or maggie in Iowa. America chooses bill. europe chooses maggie. VERY CHRISTIAN
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »

In Europe its virtually dead. Italians are beginning to understand. Afirca is religious but thats because they are under-developed.

Religion exists where poverty is. No poverty in a nation. no religion. america treats its poor like trash. europe looks after everyone.

Bill O'Reilly or maggie in Iowa. America chooses bill. europe chooses maggie.

That's because most of Europe has been brainwashed by crazies like you. Everywhere else is mostly fine with crazies like you trying to get people to get rid of their beliefs because they're supposedly "tolerant" but won't tolerate what other people believes. So you can keep lying like you do above or you can leave the forum for good this time because most of the people hate you and you've already been banned once idiot Nomo. *waits for some crazy post that lies about me or says something I don't believe or has nothing to do with the topic to come from the crazy, idiot Nomo*
MissCatholic

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 11:18:42 AM »

That's because most of Europe has been brainwashed by crazies like you. Everywhere else is mostly fine with crazies like you trying to get people to get rid of their beliefs because they're supposedly "tolerant" but won't tolerate what other people believes. So you can keep lying like you do above or you can leave the forum for good this time because most of the people hate you and you've already been banned once idiot Nomo. *waits for some crazy post that lies about me or says something I don't believe or has nothing to do with the topic to come from the crazy, idiot Nomo*

CRAZY PEOPLE?

Kansas - banned evolution
Indiana - they speak american not english
Idaho - Almost Heaven - the UN will come and invade this state.
Texas - shoot a guy in the face under the influence of alcohol FINE.
walk into a bar, have a few beers ARRESTED
Nebraska - Bibles for gays first page..'aids is the disease that god gave to gays'.
Kentucky - you can buy a gun. you can load a gun. but you cant fire it.
Utah - you want me to carry on...

Dont come up to me and say you are not crazy. Republican states are out of control. you are a laughing stock. you embarass this country. Democratic states made america great. the states above are making america a but of all jokes. its no-longer funny. its not my fault but i ahve to take crap from people because of morons like you masterjedi. grow up and realize what damage your vote does to this country.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 11:20:52 AM »

CRAZY PEOPLE?

Kansas - banned evolution
Indiana - they speak american not english
Idaho - Almost Heaven - the UN will come and invade this state.
Texas - shoot a guy in the face under the influence of alcohol FINE.
walk into a bar, have a few beers ARRESTED
Nebraska - Bibles for gays first page..'aids is the disease that god gave to gays'.
Kentucky - you can buy a gun. you can load a gun. but you cant fire it.
Utah - you want me to carry on...

Dont come up to me and say you are not crazy. Republican states are out of control. you are a laughing stock. you embarass this country. Democratic states made america great. the states above are making america a but of all jokes. its no-longer funny. its not my fault but i ahve to take crap from people because of morons like you masterjedi. grow up and realize what damage your vote does to this country.

Shut up Nomo, stop whining and acting like a child.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »

I still don't see why we need yet another tax increase when we already have a $1Bill surplus.  *grumbles*

"Legislative Honeymoon Doesn't Last Long for Kaine"

So much for Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's legislative honeymoon.

The first six months of his four-year term, the Democrat governor was locked in a partisan turf fight with conservative Republicans who rule the House of Delegates.

Some of the results are unprecedented in Virginia:

- Profound disagreement over a new stream of money for road, rail and transit projects statewide created a budget impasse that came within two days of leaving government unfunded. It's the third time in five years the state missed its late-winter budget deadline, but never had the state been this tardy enacting a budget.

- For the first time, a gubernatorial appointee to a cabinet-level position failed to win legislative confirmation. Daniel G. LeBlanc's nomination as secretary of the commonwealth was defeated in the House because LeBlanc had headed the state AFL-CIO in right-to-work Virginia.

- The House unsuccessfully tried to strip Kaine of much of the governor's authority to appoint members of state boards and commissions, including the Commonwealth Transportation Board.

The $1 billion annual transportation funding imperative Kaine identified as his first-year priority has gone nowhere. Prospects that the House will end six months of unyielding opposition to new taxes as a special legislative session lingers into autumn are unlikely.

(Cont...)

Look, like I told everybody last year, Kaine is a liberal, as well as an accomplished liar.

Expect more nonsense from him.

Oh, BTW, notice how both Kaine and Corzine are pushing for tax increases.

Its really irritating the voters in New Jersey.

Kaine is a fine governor.  It's the idiotic anti-tax Republicans in the House of Delegates who are fouling things up.  They've killed nearly all of the governor's major plans to increase transportation funding towards new roads and new state-sponsored rail programs, as well as educational funding to our state universities.  They care more about giving the Democratic governor a black eye than in the needs of Virginians.  If this keeps up, expect the Democrats to run with it and receive major gains in the House of Delegates in 2007.

Look, lets deal with reality.

Did Kaine promise the voters that if elected he would increase taxes, or did he state that he proposed cutting taxes?

So Tim Kaine is a politician who makes promises to get himself elected...what else is new?  I don't quite understand your outrage -what exactly is so shocking about the fact that he went back on a promise when so many other politicians do the same damned thing when circumstances permit?  It doesn't change the fact that he, as with Mark Warner, are better by light years than Jim Gilmore (the deity of the tax-cuts-at-any-costs-for-any-reason crowd) when it comes to fiscal responsibility and keeping the triple-AAA rating of the state inviting investment and increased economic development.  Also, judging by his approval ratings which have remained more or less around 55% throughout this standoff with the House of Delegates, it doesn't seem as if Virginians seem too bothered by the fact that he had gone back on his promise not to raise taxes.   
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2006, 09:44:47 PM »

Well, I prefer candidates who tell the truth to candidates who lie.

Also, I prefer that people get to keep their money rather than the government take it from them for non-essential purposes.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2006, 11:54:05 PM »

As do I, but this is one broken promise I am not bothered by for obvious reasons.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And I prefer that the people of Virginia determine how the money gets spent, which is precisely why we have a representative legislature and a popularly elected governor.  If the people of Virginia prefer that the money gets spent on needs they determine are essential, who are anti-tax zealots to disagree? 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2006, 12:08:02 AM »

As do I, but this is one broken promise I am not bothered by for obvious reasons.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And I prefer that the people of Virginia determine how the money gets spent, which is precisely why we have a representative legislature and a popularly elected governor.  If the people of Virginia prefer that the money gets spent on needs they determine are essential, who are anti-tax zealots to disagree? 

Well, if you really think that the people of Virgtinia really like higher taxes, why not make it a ballot proposal for them to vote on?

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2006, 12:12:04 AM »

I prefer that people get to keep their money rather than the government take it from them for non-essential purposes.

Well, if you really think that the people of Virgtinia really like higher taxes, why not make it a ballot proposal for them to vote on?

Then what is the point of having a representative legislature or a popularly elected governor?  Why have elected officials at all if they simply pass responsibility for tough decisions off to the citizens of Virginia?  They elected them to office and pay them their salaries for a reason. 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2006, 01:05:58 AM »

I prefer that people get to keep their money rather than the government take it from them for non-essential purposes.

Then what is the point of having a representative legislature or a popularly elected governor?  Why have elected officials at all if they simply pass responsibility for tough decisions off to the citizens of Virginia?  They elected them to office and pay them their salaries for a reason. 

Dog, you keep evading the point.

If tax increases were popular, why didn't Kaine run for election stating that if elected he would raise taxes instead of lying about reducing them?

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2006, 01:34:40 AM »

Dog, you keep evading the point.

If tax increases were popular, why didn't Kaine run for election stating that if elected he would raise taxes instead of lying about reducing them?

Tax increases aren't needed, but at times its needed.  However its something that needs to be explained as to why its needed it certain circumstances, and  in politics today soundbytes not substance win out.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2006, 04:57:44 AM »

Virginias going blue and there is nothing you can do about it modu.

Just like Florida was undeniably going blue in 2004? Roll Eyes

I have said for a long time that Florida will be like Texas

Hold on, I may have just said something stupid, by blue do you mean "media blue" (democrats) or "Atlas Blue" (GOP)? If the latter, than my mistake...I still haven't grasped the concept. I play way to much President Forever for it to really sink in.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2006, 11:49:23 AM by Senator Virginian87 »

Also, I prefer that people get to keep their money rather than the government take it from them for non-essential purposes.

Non-essential purposes?  You call increased spending on state-sponsored transportation systems and more money for Virginia public schools and colleges "non-essential purposes"?  That kind of talk only works in libertarian fantasy-land. 

Virginia's schools can always use more money, especially in Southside and in the panhandle.  Then there are the state colleges.  In addition to UVA, William and Mary, and Virginia Tech, the state also funds George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, and James Madison universities, among others.  This amount of shared college spending has especially been a problem with UVA, which is trying to compete with other elite state colleges like California-Berkeley and Michigan as well as the Ivy League.  Because some people like you in Virginia view this as a "non-essential purpose", there has been a lot of talk of privatizing UVA.  Privatizing this school would eliminate the special in-state tutition (a fraction of out-of-state tuition) that Virginia students receive.  UVA must be kept public, and the only way to do that is through increased educational funding.

I also wholly support the Governor's initiative to fund much-needed road improvements (widening of I-66 and I-81, for example, as well as improvements to U.S. 29 and U.S. 460).  Finally, to make safe, efficient statewide transportation for Virginians, the Governor has proposed the Transdominion Express, state-sponsored passenger rail service that would link Washington, D.C. with Charlottesville, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Bristol, and Richmond.  The train would provide a more environmentally friendly way to travel in the state, as well as allow a safer route of travel from Northern Virginia to the Shenandoah Valley by avoiding the dangerous truck-congested route of I-81.

As far as I can see, Kaine's proposals only stand to help Virginians, and in a big way.  As Frodo pointed out, Kaine is not an unpopular governor, and Virginians are not opposed to him.  It is more the Republicans who want to punish him for defeating their beloved Jerry Kilgore and refusing to follow their strict anti-tax dogma.  It is the Republicans in the House of Delegates, not Kaine, who stand to lose the most in this battle.  Kaine stands for progress, while these state delegates just want to hamper it.  If this fight continues into next year, there might be a good deal of Republican state delegates out of work come November.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2006, 03:18:09 AM »

i might be wrong on issues but im not a fool regarding religion/evolution.

No, you're just a fool in general.  The fact that you can't grasp that people can follow both science AND religion just goes to show how shallow of a thought process you possess.  Quit wasting space with your childish rants.

You cant believe in evolution and religion. its like saying your a man and a women.

Look (and I don't know why I'm responding) but I do believe the Earth can be made intelligible through both.  Ever hear of 'Proofs for God's Existence'.  They're valid reasoning to explain how everything leads backwards to somehow have a God be the initial cause.  Does this contradict science?  Of course not.  After God created the Eath and laid the laws of science and physical limitations, evolution happened.  Quit being so extreme, Nomo.

(and besides there are she-males so even your example is flawed Tongue  )
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2006, 11:02:54 AM »

Virginia's schools can always use more money

No matter how high taxes get, no matter how much the increase, the cry from liberals is always increase taxes.  Until all money is sucked from private pockets, "Virginia's schools can always use more money."

Now, don't tell people you are going to raise their taxes when you are running for office.  That would ruin the suprise.

Don't let them vote on th issue, as democracy is something which must be avoided at all costs in liberal dogma.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2006, 01:11:15 PM by Blue Dog Dem »

Don't let them vote on th issue, as democracy is something which must be avoided at all costs in liberal dogma.

So you don't believe in representative democracy, then?  Thanks for clarifying. 
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2006, 01:01:45 PM »

Kaine was elected with the full knowledge that the GOP legislature would limit his ability to screw things up. Virginian voters have been-- for basically the entire history of the state-- pragmatic and somewhat preferenced towards technocratic leaders. Virginia went for Bell in 1860 rather than Breckenridge. Nixon in 1960. And so on.

Kaine was seen as somewhat more competent than Kilgore, so he was elected. Meanwhile, he is the only relevant Democrat in the entire state (in state politics- obviously there are some Dem Reps). He has no mandate for a left-wing agenda and the fact he lied about his intentions made it easy as pie for the legislature to swat him down.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2006, 02:51:08 PM »

Kaine was elected with the full knowledge that the GOP legislature would limit his ability to screw things up. Virginian voters have been-- for basically the entire history of the state-- pragmatic and somewhat preferenced towards technocratic leaders. Virginia went for Bell in 1860 rather than Breckenridge. Nixon in 1960. And so on.

Kaine was seen as somewhat more competent than Kilgore, so he was elected. Meanwhile, he is the only relevant Democrat in the entire state (in state politics- obviously there are some Dem Reps). He has no mandate for a left-wing agenda and the fact he lied about his intentions made it easy as pie for the legislature to swat him down.

I don't see how increased funding for the items I mentioned in my earlier post is a "left-wing agenda".  Kaine is no DailyKos-style liberal either; on the contrary, he is something of a moderate Democrat.  Like Warner, he is also a pragmatist; the items he earmarked for the state budget were designed to benefit most Virginians. 

If you ask me, it's not Kaine but the Republican idiots in the House of Delegates who are screwing things up.  Those guys are bent on damaging Kaine's reputation, rather than actually trying to improve the lives of Virginians.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2006, 03:49:12 PM »

So you don't believe in representative democracy, then?  Thanks for clarifying. 

I was being sarcastic about YOUR oppoisition to letting the people vote.

If the candidates for office campaigned on doing something, and then when elected to office, did what they had promised, that would constitute 'representative democracy.'  However, when a candidate for public office campaigns on tax cuts and then turns around and increases taxes, that is NOT 'representative democracy.' its simply dishonesty!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies