Manhattan Building Explosion/Chicago subway shutdown.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:53:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manhattan Building Explosion/Chicago subway shutdown.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Manhattan Building Explosion/Chicago subway shutdown.  (Read 1214 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2006, 07:19:35 PM »

I heard about a building in Manhattan exploding yesterday morning, but haven't heard anything since.  Also, a Chicago subway shut down b/c of a fire--any news on that (that was today, USA Today just put an article out, but it was only like 5 lines long)?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:22:34 PM »

The Manhattan building was a gas explosion.  I do not think they have determined a cause for the Chicago fire, but it sounds like an electrical fire (the smoke and all).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:50:56 PM »

Commuters evacuated from Chicago transit system after derailment

By Paul Beaty, Daily Herald via AP

Emergency workers and evacuated passengers from Chicago's transit system gather at Fulton and Clinton Streets in Chicago. A train derailed and started a fire during the evening rush hour Tuesday.

CHICAGO (AP) — A train derailed and started a fire during the evening rush hour Tuesday, filling a subway tunnel with smoke and forcing dozens of soot-covered commuters to evacuate while critically injuring at least two, officials said. Terrorism was not suspected.
Evacuations began after the last car of an eight-car commuter train slipped off the tracks and material beneath the train caught fire, said Chicago Transit Authority President Frank Kruesi. Passengers were moved to safety within an hour.

Raymond Orozco, fire commissioner, said that 152 passengers were taken to hospitals. Many were in good or fair condition, officials said, but at least one hospital reported two patients in critical condition. Another hospital said two patients were in serious condition.

Thirty-three people declined treatment at the scene, Orozco said.

The train had just left the downtown Clark and Lake station shortly after 5 p.m. when the operator realized there was a problem and stopped the train, Kruesi said. The operator called for power to the train to be cut, then led passengers out of the cars and through the smoky subway tunnel to an emergency exit, where they climbed to the street above.

"This thing happened the way it's supposed to happen," he said.

Kruesi praised the operator, who he said had been on the job for 19 months and led passengers out of the tunnel holding hands in a single-file line.

"Once we got out of the train it felt much more safe," said Rita Bacon, 25. "Everyone was just holding out their hands, holding each other's hands, feeling their way along. It was pitch black in places, but there were signs in the tunnel that said, '500 feet to the exit, 250 feet to the exit,' so I felt much better."

Bomb and arson detectives were on the scene, but there was no evidence of foul play, Police Superintendent Philip Cline said.

Investigators were searching for the cause of the derailment and fire.

Service was shut down on a rail line that connects the city's West Side to O'Hare International Airport through downtown, said Chicago Transit Authority spokeswoman Ibis Antongiorgi.

Kruesi said he did not know when the line might reopen.

Joel Johnson, 24, said he was on the train three cars from the back when "it felt like it jumped the line, and a fire started in the car behind me."

"People started running to the front. The whole place was filled with smoke," he said. "I could barely breathe."

Brenda Lopez, who was on the same car, said the train "dipped a little."

"I'm still kind of scared right now," she said. "You never expect it to happen on the train you're on."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies