Labour Leadership/Deputy Leadership Election thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:12:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Leadership/Deputy Leadership Election thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Labour Leadership/Deputy Leadership Election thread  (Read 32191 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2006, 12:03:56 PM »

It seems as though 17 "normally loyal" M.P's have signed a letter calling on him to quit; one was Chris Bryant and another was Sion Simon.
And Albert Owen (M.P for Anglesey/Ynys Mon) has confirmed that he's written a private letter asking for the same thing.

Meanwhile 49 M.P's have signed another letter, supporting an orderly transition and all that.

As long as it's not a grandious affair. His 'long goodbye' nationwide media tour outlined in the Mirror (which will probably not go ahead now) would have been stomach churning. If you step down, you go gracefully (and perhaps cry in the ministerial car)

If he wants to know exactly what his legacy is, wait a few decades Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2006, 12:12:02 PM »

I still think the best resignation was Wilson's. Take 'em all by suprise Grin (admittedly it was quite a tragic one in a way; he only did it because he knew he was going to go the same way that his mother did, and he didn't want it to unfold in the full glare of the media).

Part of the problem with him [Blair] and his legacy is that he's too damn impatient; he certainly has one, and if he had the understanding of history that most Labour politicians do he'd have a good idea what it'd be (like Wilson and the Open University).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »

It's emerged that Tom Watson (best known for the spoof teens section on his blog, and for his role in the Hodge Hill by-election) was one of the 17. He is currently a junior Defense Minister...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2006, 01:28:12 PM »

'Mili-bland' has of course tried to throw out a tidbit to help alay fears. But it almost immediately reminded me of Michael Howard shoring up IDS in those final few months....
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2006, 01:51:24 PM »

'Mili-bland' has of course tried to throw out a tidbit to help alay fears. But it almost immediately reminded me of Michael Howard shoring up IDS in those final few months....

It is o/c much harder to get rid of a Labour leader than a Tory or (as we saw earlier this year) LibDem leader. Miliband's remarks are interesting in that they confirm what the apparent limits of loyalty are (ie; one year).

Meanwhile, Charles Clarke's swing to the Left continues
Voice from the South West
Rookie

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »

It's emerged that Tom Watson (best known for the spoof teens section on his blog, and for his role in the Hodge Hill by-election) was one of the 17. He is currently a junior Defense Minister...

Surely if thats true he must resign from the government. Or at least be sacked?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »

The government seems to have 'reshuffled' itself to death. But he's a brave man for speaking out, though he is sadly expendable.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2006, 03:32:43 PM »

Armstrong has said he'll be gone by next year's Conference. I'd be suprised if she was wrong on that sort of thing.

Some other people who signed the letter include: Khalid Mahmood (Birmingham Perry Barr), Wayne David (Caerphilly), Ian Lucas (Wrexham) and David Wright (Telford). All PPS's.
Voice from the South West
Rookie

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2006, 04:18:49 PM »

According to the Sun Blair will resign on May 31 2007, just after his Tenth anniversary.

Make of it what you will...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2006, 05:33:34 PM by afleitch »

REJOICE!

LET THE VERY PUBLIC INFIGHTING (POSSIBLY WITH THE UNIONS BACK IN THE SPOTLIGHT) BEGIN!

...if this is true
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2006, 05:33:49 PM »

The public infighting has been going on for a few months now... Tongue
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2006, 05:42:22 PM »

The public infighting has been going on for a few months now... Tongue

But now it takes on a new dimension Smiley Middle Englanders spit out their cornflakes after reading about 'How Unions will decide whos going to be our PM.' Now you and I know the system seems to work perfectly well and is as historically balanced as you can get, but Mrs Gloucester and Mr  Loughborough don't know that and it will get spun pretty badly once the leadership election itself nears
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2006, 06:04:43 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2006, 06:07:52 PM by afleitch »

Sun political editor says: Early election may be called in Spring 2008

Stephen Pound MP: Blair has to maintain control, Labour MP's don't understand the concept of 'discipline' : 'Two phonecalls already on behalf of people' with regards to the leadership (?)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2006, 06:08:11 PM »

Only because the media will report it as news, rather than gossip, now. And I guess more stuff will be out in the open.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Gloucester and Loughborough are socially polarised marginals (more so in the case of Loughborough o/c), so it'd be a bit of a wash in them and seats like them... it would o/c hurt us even more in those marginals that actually have large blocks of genuine middle class swing voters. Essentially it's exactly the sort of thing that could end up further increasing (or maybe just consolidating) the growing social polarisation of voting patterns (we seem to be firmly back into early '70's territory as it is).

---
Yeah, I'd been thinking that, presuming a new P.M from summer/autumn next year, spring '08 is likely.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »

Yeah, I'd been thinking that, presuming a new P.M from summer/autumn next year, spring '08 is likely.

Will the new boundaries be officially in place in by then?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2006, 06:29:18 PM »

Will the new boundaries be officially in place in by then?

The deadline for completing the review is April 2007 (although when it passes through Parliament is up to the Government), so probably. O/c if there's a review (or, maybe, even a pending review) of local government boundaries it's possible that the Government might delay the introduction of the new boundaries. There is o/c a precedent for that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2006, 05:19:55 AM »

That would be true only if Tony Blair still had a future.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2006, 05:52:30 AM »

Watson has resigned... and got another stab in with his resignation letter (made available to the media o/c)...

"It is with the greatest sadness that I have to say that I no longer believe that your remaining in office is in the interest of either the party or the country.

"How and why this situation has arisen no longer matters. I share the view of the overwhelming majority of the party and the country that the only way the party and the government can renew itself in office is urgently to renew its leadership."

There are rumours that Watson might become Chief Whip if Brown becomes P.M.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2006, 06:12:30 AM »

The thing I don't understand is that while Labour under Blair is, at this point in time, behind Cameron's Conservatives, the polling suggests that Cameron will be even further ahead of Labour under Brown - so I hardly think Labour malcontents baying for Blair's blood is quite the right way of going about things

It's only a matter of time before my party drives me to despair Sad

Of course, much of the criticism can be levelled at Blair. Why the hell he said it was intention to serve a full term yet not contest the next general election, I don't know? It has served only to seriously undermine his authority

I hope for Labour's sake, the battle (i.e. public spending vs tax cuts) within the Conservative Party erupts; however, infighting within the opposition is one thing, infighting within the government is quite another

Labour basically needs a good old kick up the arse

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2006, 06:14:37 AM »

Some other names alledged to be part of the 17...

Kevin Brennan (Cardiff West)
Chris Mole (Ipswich)
Kevan Jones (North Durham)
Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2006, 06:17:21 AM »

The thing I don't understand is that while Labour under Blair is, at this point in time, behind Cameron's Conservatives, the polling suggests that Cameron will be even further ahead of Labour under Brown -

Any poll of voting intentions that throws in names as well as parties isn't usually worth a lot. Note that, according to polls in the autumn of 2005, the Tories would have done worse under Cameron than under the current leadership at the time.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2006, 06:42:27 AM »

The government needs a new direction, not just a new leader. I am concerned that the next year will see the government effectively paralysed; why bother to support 'Blair's' agenda in the Commons when he's not going to be there months down the line? If I were a cabinet minister, junior cabinet minister or even a back bencher, I'd be spending the next 6 months or so shoring up my position, making friends with Mr X's 'people' - that's how these things happen regardless of who is in power.

The government has had 1 year to begin to implement it's 2005 manifesto; it may spend the next year effective rudderless and without authority. What happens, as has happened all too often in the past few years, if a minister steps out of line. or does something damaging to deserve the sack? Blair can do it, but it has no meaning and he gains and looses nothing from it. If I were the minister I wouldn't worry as I know I'd have a chance next year to be part of Labour's 'revolving door' cabinet under a new leader.

Blair has to go now, for the sake of the legislative process and effective leadership as well as his party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2006, 06:53:54 AM »

Blair's responce to the Watson resignation:

"I had been intending to dismiss him but wanted to extend to him the courtesy of speaking to him first," he said.

"Had he come to me privately and expressed his view about the leadership, that would have been one thing.

"But to sign a round robin letter which was then leaked to the press was disloyal, discourteous and wrong.

"It would therefore have been impossible for him to remain in government."

Meanwhile, Khalid Mahmood as resigned as a PPS.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2006, 06:59:03 AM »

Meanwhile, Khalid Mahmood as resigned as a PPS.
Reasons given?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2006, 07:17:04 AM »

He was one of those that signed the letter that Watson did. Not heard anything else.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies