Is the New York Times un-American?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:29:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is the New York Times un-American?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the New York Times un-American?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Is the New York Times un-American?  (Read 1507 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2006, 12:09:31 AM »

In light of recent classified information that the Times has revealed to the public, several conservative commentators have called it a traitorous newspaper to the American public.

What do you think?  Discuss.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:12:40 AM »

In light of recent classified information that the Times has revealed to the public, several conservative commentators have called it a traitorous newspaper to the American public.

What do you think?  Discuss.

Maybe unwise...maybe.

But not unamerican.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:14:52 AM »

I'd like to know exactly what they published.  That the government was trying to monitor and disrupt al Qaeda financial transaction was not secret.  The details were to an extent.  What was published?
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 12:59:26 AM »

"unamerican" is a highly overused phrase. They are just stupid, not "unamerican".
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18:28 AM »

How about, not working in America's interests.

Whether they should be or not is debatable, but they certainly shouldn't be in the habit of revealing classified documents, which is a crime as bad as what some alledge Rove/Libby did to Plame.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 06:05:34 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2006, 06:07:07 AM by dazzleman »

They're anti-American in that they are deliberately working against the interest of the US.  If there is a terrorist attack in the US, they will share some of the blame because they have aided those who want to attack us.

I'm not sure what "un-American" means.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 08:39:31 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2006, 08:42:30 AM by Michael Z »

I find it quite dangerous when one side of the political spectrum regards the other as working against the national interest solely on account of being part of the opposing ideology.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 08:44:59 AM »

I find it quite dangerous when one side of the political spectrum regards the other as working against the national interest solely on account of being part of the opposing ideology.
Welcom to politics in america.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 10:22:07 AM »

They're anti-American in that they are deliberately working against the interest of the US.  If there is a terrorist attack in the US, they will share some of the blame because they have aided those who want to attack us.

The Bush administration is doing far more damage to the interests of most americans than the NYTimes could ever do, dazzleman.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sort of term used by fascist right wing parties to condemn those with whom they disagree.
[/quote]
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 10:53:08 AM »

No, because the NYT is based in New York City, which is in the United States of America.  Therefore, I fail to see how it could be "un-American".  If it was based in somewhere in Asia or Africa for instance, then I guess it would be.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »

Wrong. I hold my opinion of the Times because of its long history of revealing classified government secrets. Their ideology doesn't affect me, but their reporting can.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »

Wrong. I hold my opinion of the Times because of its long history of revealing classified government secrets. Their ideology doesn't affect me, but their reporting can.

You mean the NY Times has a history of running stories that expose possible illegal Governmental actions...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:53:36 PM »

That's neither here nor there.

The Times is guilty of a crime by revealing such programs, whether they're illegal or legal. Personally, I'd rather the government be looking at out of place financial transactions in the hope of breaking up a terrorist cell than not looking. The Times would rather sell papers.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 07:48:39 PM »

I said what I said because of their actions, not their ideology.  There's nothing dangerous about the truth.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 08:17:09 PM »

There's nothing dangerous about the truth.

Not meaning to make a political statement of any kind here, but that sentence is quite unintentionally ironic, considering the topic at hand. Tongue
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 08:50:11 PM »

Probably. One or two big leaks of illegal stuff (think Watergate-sized) is fine, but the Times is determined to get everything it can out. Its leak stuff that's either trivial or a danger to American troops and operatives. That's a good definition of 'un-American'.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 11:51:13 PM »

Probably. One or two big leaks of illegal stuff (think Watergate-sized) is fine, but the Times is determined to get everything it can out. Its leak stuff that's either trivial or a danger to American troops and operatives. That's a good definition of 'un-American'.

I fail to see how exposing possible illegal government actions that could be detrimental to the American public (and our troops) is anti-American. I am not a fan of the NYT, but the truth is the truth.

^^^^^^^^^Very well said.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies