Atlasia-Malaysia Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:05:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasia-Malaysia Free Trade Bill  (Read 3649 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:45:30 PM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Malaysia.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.
3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Malaysia to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Malaysia is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Malaysian goods
ii. All Malaysian goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Malaysia in its entirety.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:52:02 PM »

With Q's support I would like this bill to have only 24 hours of debate because it had enough votes to pass last session and was waiting the 24 hours.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:03:10 PM »

This bill is disgusting.  I don't understand why you people hate Atlasian people and the economy...

Nevertheless, I shall be voting nay.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »

Yes, given that this Bill was on course for passage in the Thirteenth Senate, I urge those of my esteemed colleagues, who voted for it back then not to flip-flop Wink

Of course, the newly-elected Senators Jas and Vlad must make their own call on this Bill. I urge that you support it

I notice that Senator Jerusalemcar5 has voiced his opposition but that was to be expected

'Hawk'
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 06:44:40 PM »

Despite my recent disgust with RL American free trade, it seems to have done a great deal of good for Atlasian foriegn relations and the economy. I shall be voting Aye.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 06:52:40 PM »

Despite my recent disgust with RL American free trade, it seems to have done a great deal of good for Atlasian foriegn relations and the economy. I shall be voting Aye.

Um, according to AWN our economy is tanking.

According to Midgard other countries hate our government.

Not quite sure how you get the impression it's helped.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 07:40:38 PM »

Does it help that everyone at AWN opposes free trade? Tongue
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »

Does it help that everyone at AWN opposes free trade? Tongue

Hey, only two people have made our economic figures.  Blame them.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 02:03:36 AM »

A) I don't trust the AWN with anything. I find it rather crappy that it was left in charge of GM when in fact it is an incredibly biased unit.

B) It is nothing that couldn't be fixed by a spending slash and a stronger  amount being directed to our debt relief fund.

C) You think they hate us now? Wait until we drift into isolationism.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 05:55:39 AM »

I agree

Bearing in mind its the 21st century, isolationism is an infantile disorder if ever there was one. It simply wouldn't do for the greatest nation on Earth to drift in such a direction. Atlasia must lead by example. Such a stance would only diminish our standing the world

As things stand, and as my amendment seeks to establish through free trade, Atlasia can and should be very much be the vanguard in spreading liberal democracy, political freedoms and civil rights; which, of course, means isolationism simply isn't an option

Globalisation is inevitable. That said, Atlasia can and should always affirm its national interests and I most sincerely believe that the moral stance I have taken on free trade by linking it with human rights (for those nations who fall well short of what is acceptable) is in the long term both in our national interest and that of the 'Free World'. And free trade, in this context, can very much be the acceptable means to a desired end

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 11:09:50 AM »

A) I don't trust the AWN with anything. I find it rather crappy that it was left in charge of GM when in fact it is an incredibly biased unit.

B) It is nothing that couldn't be fixed by a spending slash and a stronger  amount being directed to our debt relief fund.

A) You're a member of that organization, o that seems odd, but okay.  The economic figures have been made by TCash (who at least most don't think is biased and subsequently Al who did his economic numbers with little or no contact from us.

B) Possibly.

C)Not having free trade with every country is not isolationsim, it is sound economic policy.

Finally, you did not explain how the free trade had helped our economy or our world perception.  That's because it didn't.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 03:35:58 PM »

A) You're a member of that organization, o that seems odd, but okay.  The economic figures have been made by TCash (who at least most don't think is biased and subsequently Al who did his economic numbers with little or no contact from us.

B) Possibly.

C)Not having free trade with every country is not isolationsim, it is sound economic policy.

Finally, you did not explain how the free trade had helped our economy or our world perception.  That's because it didn't.

A) I am also a disenfranchised minority in that organisation. I see no problem with TCash or Al, however I do feel that their is a fair-trade slant in the organisation and it's economics.

C) Of course not every country, but it seems as though if you have your way we wouldn't have free trade with any country.

Economy:  It has strengthened our businesses, thus strengthening our workers, thus strengthening our economy.

World Image: We now have shown that we are a friendly nation, and  a nation who will not isolate its self from the world. this is always a plus to image.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »

B) Possibly.

A) I am also a disenfranchised minority in that organisation. I see no problem with TCash or Al, however I do feel that their is a fair-trade slant in the organisation and it's economics.

C) Of course not every country, but it seems as though if you have your way we wouldn't have free trade with any country.

Economy:  It has strengthened our businesses, thus strengthening our workers, thus strengthening our economy.

World Image: We now have shown that we are a friendly nation, and  a nation who will not isolate its self from the world. this is always a plus to image.

Where are you getting those facts?  I have seen no such reports in either news service.  No, I have said I support free trade with liberal democracies that have worker rights at level equal to or better than ours. I have said I support free trade with the EU, Canada, Australia, New Zelands, and Japan/ROK.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 08:22:05 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Malaysia.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.
3. This Agreement requires a commitment on the part of Malaysia to make progress towards becoming a fully functioning liberal democracy, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. This will be monitored by the Secretary of State in accordance with the terms of the Foreign Policy Review Act. Should he determine that Malaysia is regressing on its commitment, and then he shall either (depending on the severity of the regress):

a. Request that the Senate introduce an appropriate tariff either on:

i. Selected Malaysian goods
ii. All Malaysian goods

b. Request that the Senate revoke the Agreement with Malaysia in its entirety.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 08:22:25 AM »

Aye
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 11:24:32 AM »

Nay.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 11:40:31 AM »

Aye.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 12:21:30 PM »

nay
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 07:06:52 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 07:40:50 PM »

Aye.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 09:08:02 PM »

Yup
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 04:39:02 AM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 07:27:56 AM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 07:29:31 AM »

With 6 Ayes, 2 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signiture.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 07:30:27 AM »

Ebowed
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies