Hugo Chavez, his supporters and God
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:28:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hugo Chavez, his supporters and God
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hugo Chavez, his supporters and God  (Read 1775 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:32:23 AM »

I am only five minutes into a documentary on the Discovery Times channel titled "Venezula: Revolution" concerning the attempt to overthrow the Venezulan "President." The reason why I am posting this topic is because I have been watching for just a few minutes and noticed something very odd, something that would probably rub a lot of Chavez supporters on this forum the wrong way...or would it?

There have been two scenes so far: one of Chavez speaking at a rally and the other from a protest. At the first event, Chavez says, "The devil has a master in the north [Bush] who is capable of anything. But we have God on our side...it is the 'no' of Christ to imperialism! It's the 'no' of Christ!"

At the second event, an old woman is holding a poster with pictures of Chavez plastered onto it. She remarks, "God sent him [Chavez]. God won't take him away. The only President sent by God is Hugo Chavez...no one else."

Now it seems that these people are pretty convinced that God is totally for Chavez and against the U.S. and Bush. Now recall everytime that President Bush has invoked the name of God against terrorists. Some of these same Chavez supporters like BRTD get angry with such "extreme Christian behavior." Imagine if Bush made a televised speech and called his opponents the "masters of the devil." How hard would the same Chavez fanatics laugh if I said that Bush was sent by God. So what's my point? I want the strong defenders of "President" Chavez to offer their commentary on this issue. I want to know if they will denounce his actions or if they'll just come right out and defend him (making themselves total hypocrites).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »

No, this doesn't bother me. I'm Christian, why would it?
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 04:57:12 PM »

It bothers me.  But it is pretty clear that Jesus would be a left winger so at least it isn't nearly as hypocritical. =)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 05:10:21 AM »

But it is pretty clear that Jesus would be a left winger....

Makes sense. I'm sure Jesus would have approved of legalized sodomy, infanticide, pedophilia, adultery and all the other wonderful stuff you leftists approve of.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 07:10:46 AM »

I am only five minutes into a documentary on the Discovery Times channel titled "Venezula: Revolution" concerning the attempt to overthrow the Venezulan "President."

What's up with the scare-quotes around the word President? Say what you will of Chavez, but he was democratically elected.

His God-talk is nonsense, but I applaud his stand against globalization and his war on poverty.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 08:51:52 AM »

But it is pretty clear that Jesus would be a left winger....

Makes sense. I'm sure Jesus would have approved of legalized sodomy, infanticide, pedophilia, adultery and all the other wonderful stuff you leftists approve of.

Yes, of course he would have.  Don't you remember, religious, that your cartoon character hero said something about 'giving Ceasar his due' or some such nonsense?  And that the overarching assumption of christianity is about free will giving one the opportunity to 'sin' or do as the cartoon hero tells you?  Hence, it is clear that 1) it is the realm of the State and not religion to determine the legality of sodomy, etal, and in Roman times no one could have conceived of a State which would regulate such personal matters.  And 2) That your fictional god would have preferred - in character - that you be allowed to 'sin' or not 'sin' based upon your own choices rather than the influence of the State.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 11:20:44 AM »

BTW, I've seen quotes like that on DU before. Even stuff like "God has sent us Howard Dean to lead us." Who cares?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »

BTW, I've seen quotes like that on DU before. Even stuff like "God has sent us Howard Dean to lead us." Who cares?

So when Bush says his beliefs are inspired by God or through prayer you don't have any problem with that, right?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 12:03:17 PM »

Only when he says something completely retarded like "God told me to invade Iraq". Big difference between that and what the topic's about.

Also did leftists ever complain about Jimmy Carter doing this?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 11:17:31 AM »

Only when he says something completely retarded like "God told me to invade Iraq". Big difference between that and what the topic's about.

Sent by God to be President? Bush is the devil's master? That's not retarded? Thanks, hypocrite.

By the way, if Bush said he was sent by God to be President you'd be going crazy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »

Sent by God to be President?

Chavez himself didn't say that. He can't control what his supporters think. I don't agree with that woman's way of thought but at least her heart is in the right place.

It sounds more like a metaphor to me.

And not what I said, did the left ever complain about Jimmy Carter doing this?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 01:04:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, of course! But when some conservatives do it, it certainly would not be a metaphor!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, because they are hypocrites. Thanks for proving my point.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »

I am only five minutes into a documentary on the Discovery Times channel titled "Venezula: Revolution" concerning the attempt to overthrow the Venezulan "President."

What's up with the scare-quotes around the word President? Say what you will of Chavez, but he was democratically elected.

His God-talk is nonsense, but I applaud his stand against globalization and his war on poverty.

His "war on poverty" inmcreased poverty to levels above those of Argentina during the recession.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies