Ethiopia invades Somalia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:51:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ethiopia invades Somalia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Ethiopia invades Somalia  (Read 19941 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 01:51:57 PM »

Ethiopia invades Somalia ...with sticks, stones and some donkeys ?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 04:04:38 PM »

*and again*
*UPDATED AGAIN*
*UPDATED*
I've been following this, and at the moment it would be hard for Ethiopia to push past Baidoa - logistics concerns - or for the ICU to take it - fortification concerns. It appears to currently be a stalemate.
*Yes, fighting has resumed between the ICU and the TFG. The report specifically does not say with Ethiopian forces.

And for general consumption, here's a map to follow things.

Areas known to be under control of the ICU are Mogadishu, Giohar, Beledweyne, and now Buurhakaba. From that and other sources...the ICU appears to control Shabeellaha Dhexe, Shabeellaha, and Hiraan Regions, more or less, and to be making a bid for Bay and Bakool Regions.* I have no idea who is in control of Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose Regions, but by logic of access routes the Ethiopians-Transitional Government have to control Gedo Region (and the core of Bay Region) and likely control Bakool Region*. I also have no idea who controls Galguduud Region, Puntland controls Bari and Nugaal Regions, and from Wiki appears to control the north and west of Mudug Region (which leaves the question of who controls the rest of Mudug wide open) and Somaliland controls Awdal, Woqooyi Galbeed, Togdheer, Sool, and Sanaag Regions (the last two are disputed with Puntland to some extent).

*From various sources the Ethiopians have moved into Bakool Region, specifically the town of Wajid, after seizing the airport there *from local authorities*. This is logical based on the geography of the region. Just who the local authorities were I don't know...but it would be interesting to find out.

- The TFG's President has issued a one-week deadline for all residents of Baidoa to hand in their guns or else the goverment will take them by force. Pardon me while I have a WTF moment...
- The ICU has announced plans to extend their control to the Mudug Region (my source inverted the g and the d Roll Eyes ) to 'eradicate piracy in Haradere' (and no, I can't find that place on the map either Tongue but it was the birthplace of an ex-President of Somalia...in the Obbia district, which I also can't find on the map, but I will make a phonentic guess and say it's Hobyo on the map). The ICU also says they want to establish a shariah court there. Commentary in a sec...
- The ICU has won the support of the Hawiye Clan (remember them from Black Hawk Down? Yep, Aidid's people), who turned over 50 trucks with machineguns in Adaado Township in the Galguduud Region. The ICU has also established a shariah court there. So...the ICU is moving north.

Hmm, I'll just list the regions:
Gedo - TFG/Ethiopian control
Bay, Bakool - Contested between TFG/Ethiopians and ICU
Banaadir, Shabeellaha Hoose, Shabeellaha Dhexe, Hiraan, Galguduud - ICU control
Mudug - Contested between Puntland, ICU, and maybe local warlords
Nugaal, Bari - Puntland control
Sanaag, Sool - Contested between Somaliland and Puntland, although I think Somaliland currently controls them
Awdal, Woqooyi Galbeed, Togdheer - Somaliland control
Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose - No idea, still (and I would really like to know)

Oh, Lewis, Stratfor did an analysis based on the events of your article and they see it as pointing toward another Ethiopian-Eritrean war, complete with Somalian proxies.

More details on the ICU move into the Mudug and Galguduud Region: this is a clan-based shifting of loyalties. Basically, the Habar Gedir clan - which, not at all conicidentally, is the clan the leader of the ICU belongs to - is the dominant clan in both regions and thus their shift in loyalty has expanded the ICU's control.
- Note: this brings the ICU closer to the Ogaden...and that is a severe flashpoint for the Ethiopians. This will increase the chances of a bigger war.
- Note 2: however, the same analysis also says that the ICU will have a much harder time expanding further north into non-Habar Gedir Puntland and Somaliland. The three- or four-way division of Somalia postulated before looks more likely...which is still less confusing than the previous mess.

And Mark Warner 08, everyone there does have modern weaponry...for the Third World. Trucks with machineguns, AK-47s, Rocket-Propelled Grenades, mines, regular grenades, probably APC's...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 02:38:54 AM »

And Mark Warner 08, everyone there does have modern weaponry...for the Third World. Trucks with machineguns, AK-47s, Rocket-Propelled Grenades, mines, regular grenades, probably APC's...

I know that, should be a joke ... Tongue
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 01:04:42 PM »

I know that, should be a joke ... Tongue

Oh, I figured that was the case Tongue

No new military moves to report, although there's been some more internal fraying amongst the TFG.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 06:28:23 PM »

*and again*
*and again*
*UPDATED AGAIN*
*UPDATED*
I've been following this, and at the moment it would be hard for Ethiopia to push past Baidoa - logistics concerns - or for the ICU to take it - fortification concerns. It appears to currently be a stalemate.
*Yes, fighting has resumed between the ICU and the TFG. The report specifically does not say with Ethiopian forces.

Areas known to be under control of the ICU are Mogadishu, Giohar, Beledweyne, and now Buurhakaba. From that and other sources...the ICU appears to control Shabeellaha Dhexe, Shabeellaha, and Hiraan Regions, more or less, and to be making a bid for Bay and Bakool Regions.* I have no idea who is in control of Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose Regions, but by logic of access routes the Ethiopians-Transitional Government have to control Gedo Region (and the core of Bay Region) and likely control Bakool Region*. I also have no idea who controls Galguduud Region, Puntland controls Bari and Nugaal Regions, and from Wiki appears to control the north and west of Mudug Region (which leaves the question of who controls the rest of Mudug wide open) and Somaliland controls Awdal, Woqooyi Galbeed, Togdheer, Sool, and Sanaag Regions (the last two are disputed with Puntland to some extent).

*From various sources the Ethiopians have moved into Bakool Region, specifically the town of Wajid, after seizing the airport there *from local authorities*. This is logical based on the geography of the region. Just who the local authorities were I don't know...but it would be interesting to find out.

- The TFG's President has issued a one-week deadline for all residents of Baidoa to hand in their guns or else the goverment will take them by force. Pardon me while I have a WTF moment...
- The ICU has announced plans to extend their control to the Mudug Region (my source inverted the g and the d Roll Eyes ) to 'eradicate piracy in Haradere' (and no, I can't find that place on the map either Tongue but it was the birthplace of an ex-President of Somalia...in the Obbia district, which I also can't find on the map, but I will make a phonentic guess and say it's Hobyo on the map). The ICU also says they want to establish a shariah court there. Commentary in a sec...
- The ICU has won the support of the Hawiye Clan (remember them from Black Hawk Down? Yep, Aidid's people), who turned over 50 trucks with machineguns in Adaado Township in the Galguduud Region. The ICU has also established a shariah court there. So...the ICU is moving north.

Sanaag, Sool - Contested between Somaliland and Puntland, although I think Somaliland currently controls them
Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose - No idea, still (and I would really like to know)

Oh, Lewis, Stratfor did an analysis based on the events of your article and they see it as pointing toward another Ethiopian-Eritrean war, complete with Somalian proxies.

More details on the ICU move into the Mudug and Galguduud Region: this is a clan-based shifting of loyalties. Basically, the Habar Gedir clan - which, not at all conicidentally, is the clan the leader of the ICU belongs to - is the dominant clan in both regions and thus their shift in loyalty has expanded the ICU's control.
- Note: this brings the ICU closer to the Ogaden...and that is a severe flashpoint for the Ethiopians. This will increase the chances of a bigger war.
- Note 2: however, the same analysis also says that the ICU will have a much harder time expanding further north into non-Habar Gedir Puntland and Somaliland. The three- or four-way division of Somalia postulated before looks more likely...which is still less confusing than the previous mess.

The ICU captured the "central Somalian town of Beletuein [note: source has different spellings than Wikipedia's map in general], a strategically important area near the Ethiopian border. The victory gives the Islamists  greater freedom of movement in the southern part of central Somalia". No, I'm not sure what region this is in - I can't friggin locate "Beletuein". The BBC (different source) says it's about 300km north of Mogadishu. Err...ooh, a map! Not too far NE of Baidoa, in either Bakool or Hiraan Region...I'm going to guess it's in Hiraan Region, OK? Wink Apparently this move was with popular support in the town.

News from Mudug Region: the ICU is advancing on Galcaio, "just south of the largely autonomous Punland region". The TFG announced they were prepared to defend Puntland against any ICU advance...

...OK, I didn't think the TFG even existed in Mudug. And does this announcement mean the TFG is allying with Puntland? Unlike in Beletuein, residents here are highly divided about the ICU and there were riots between the two sides.

There was also a clash in Ogaden between Ethiopians and Ogaden rebels...there were prisoners taken who said they were armed and trained by Eritrean (yes, Lewis, I believe Eritrea is almost half Muslim IIRC, but the single party is Christian [who in turn make up slightly over half the population]) and Somalian Islamists and sent to cause Ethiopia trouble. The ICU denies backing them. Make up your own mind...

The WMS Somalia Report concludes this broadcast. Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 01:59:41 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2006, 01:29:38 PM by Senator WMS »

*yep, again*
*and again*
*and again*
*UPDATED AGAIN*

The ICU captured the "central Somalian town of Beletuein [note: source has different spellings than Wikipedia's map in general], a strategically important area near the Ethiopian border. The victory gives the Islamists  greater freedom of movement in the southern part of central Somalia". The BBC (different source) says it's about 300km north of Mogadishu. Err...ooh, a map! Not too far NE of Baidoa, in either Bakool or Hiraan Region...I'm going to guess it's in Hiraan Region, OK? Wink Apparently this move was with popular support in the town.

News from Mudug Region: the ICU is advancing on Galcaio, "just south of the largely autonomous Punland region". The TFG announced they were prepared to defend Puntland against any ICU advance...

...OK, I didn't think the TFG even existed in Mudug. And does this announcement mean the TFG is allying with Puntland? Unlike in Beletuein, residents here are highly divided about the ICU and there were riots between the two sides.

-Aaaand the ICU has taken "Harardhere" (see the bolded part above - Hobyo on the map, I think) in Mudug Region, just like they said they were going to.

-Pro-TFG authorities in Northern Somalia are hunting for ICU clerics...looks like an alliance shift has taken place...

-In Puntland, their police are searching for an ICU cleric who announced the formation of a sharia court in "Las Anood" district...aha! Lasanod in Wiki, the Regional Capital of Sool Region...bloody hell, that's in areas also claimed by Somaliland! The ICU is definitely heading north.

WMS, who digs up this stuff so you don't have to. Wink

*edit, since no one replied and I can get away with it*
-Yes, it was indeed Hobyo that was taken by the ICU. Apparently they surrounded it with "machinegun-carrying pickup trucks" and demanded the town surrender...which it did, no shots being fired. And that confirms that report. Well, kinda - going by the BBC Harardhere is actually a separate port, and the ICU is denying having taken Hobyo. Go look for yourself. Damn, I need a better map to keep track of all this. Smiley
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »

Ooh, ooh... keeping the reports coming! You are the ONLY source in the world for this information!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 01:16:36 PM »

Ooh, ooh... keeping the reports coming! You are the ONLY source in the world for this information!
Thanks, although I'm gathering my data from a few other sources. Wink

Not much new yet since the last report...nothing worth bumping my main post about. Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2006, 05:04:19 PM by Senator WMS »

*hmm*
*yep, again*
*and again*
*and again*
*UPDATED AGAIN*

- The ICU has announced plans to extend their control to the Mudug Region (my source inverted the g and the d Roll Eyes ) to 'eradicate piracy in Haradere' (and no, I can't find that place on the map either Tongue but it was the birthplace of an ex-President of Somalia...in the Obbia district, which I also can't find on the map, but I will make a phonentic guess and say it's Hobyo on the map). The ICU also says they want to establish a shariah court there.

The ICU captured the "central Somalian town of Beletuein [note: source has different spellings than Wikipedia's map in general], a strategically important area near the Ethiopian border. The victory gives the Islamists  greater freedom of movement in the southern part of central Somalia". The BBC (different source) says it's about 300km north of Mogadishu. Err...ooh, a map! Not too far NE of Baidoa, in either Bakool or Hiraan Region...I'm going to guess it's in Hiraan Region, OK? Wink Apparently this move was with popular support in the town.

-Aaaand the ICU has taken "Harardhere" (see the bolded part above - Hobyo on the map, I think) in Mudug Region, just like they said they were going to.

-Pro-TFG authorities in Northern Somalia are hunting for ICU clerics...looks like an alliance shift has taken place...

-In Puntland, their police are searching for an ICU cleric who announced the formation of a sharia court in "Las Anood" district...aha! Lasanod in Wiki, the Regional Capital of Sool Region...bloody hell, that's in areas also claimed by Somaliland! The ICU is definitely heading north.

WMS, who digs up this stuff so you don't have to. Wink

*edit, since no one replied and I can get away with it*
-Yes, it was indeed Hobyo that was taken by the ICU. Apparently they surrounded it with "machinegun-carrying pickup trucks" and demanded the town surrender...which it did, no shots being fired. And that confirms that report. Well, kinda - going by the BBC Harardhere is actually a separate port, and the ICU is denying having taken Hobyo. Go look for yourself. Damn, I need a better map to keep track of all this. Smiley
Only one event of importance, but important enough for this: the Ethiopians have apparently moved directly into Baidoa to protect the airport there from the ICU. There's been a lot of claims and counter-claims about this.

OK, the BBC has provided a map here and it finally answers a question of mine! Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose Regions are shown as allied with the ICU. Mind you, the same map is out of date on the situation in Galguduud and Mudug Regions...

So...
Gedo - TFG/Ethiopian control, no sign of the ICU here yet.
Banaadir, Shabeellaha Hoose, Shabeellaha Dhexe, Hiraan, Galguduud, Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose - ICU control
Nugaal, Bari - Puntland control, although I am beginning to wonder about Nugaal...
Sanaag, Sool - Contested between Somaliland and Puntland, with the ICU making an appearance in Sool.

I'll keep the at least one other person reading this thread informed. Smiley

*edit*
Look at the TFG's Cabinet Surprise Warlords from Kismayo, Baidoa, and Mogadishu - including Hussein Aideed, son (and ex-U.S. Marine) of the infamous Mohammad Farrah Aideed of Black Hawk Down fame, and a representative from Somaliland! Whoa...now, whether the Somaliland representative has anything to do with the Somaliland government is another question...
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 08:09:06 PM »

And just who might that one person reading this thread be? Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 08:45:25 PM »

I have no idea. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »

I have no idea. Wink

I don't think there is one. Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2006, 11:58:44 AM »

Tongue to you all!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 01:35:06 PM »

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,433233,00.html

SHARIA LAW FOR BUCCANEERS

Pirates Sunk by Somali Islamists

Somalia's Islamist militia has taken control of a major base of piracy north of Mogadishu. The waters off the Horn of Africa has long been a dangerous region for shipping. Now, the militants said they will put an end to the seaborne threat.

The West may have the better navy -- outfitted with all the newest high-tech toys -- but Islamist militias in Somalia seem to have the upper hand battling piracy. Last week, Somalia's Islamic Courts Union (ICU), which has spent months consolidating control over the southern part of the country, moved up the coast and took control of a town widely considered to be a base for piracy operations off the Horn of Africa.

"The actions of the pirates were unlawful, unacceptable and un-Islamic," Sheikh Said Ali, an ICU official, told the AFP news agency. "Anybody suspected of aiding pirates or being among them will be punished according to Sharia law."

The pirates, belonging to at least four different groups and based largely out of the town of Haradere some 400 kilometers north of the Somali capital of Mogadishu, had made the waters off the coast of the Horn of Africa some of the most dangerous in the world. Since March of 2005, the International Maritime Bureau has recorded 41 attempted seizures off the Somali coast -- with pirates being successful in 19 cases within almost the same time period according to the United Nations. Along with waters near Bangladesh and Indonesia, the Indian Ocean off the coast of Somalia ranks as one of the world's regions most prone to attacks by pirates.

Piracy in Somalia is a lucrative business and warlords had used the proceeds to fund their militias. Well armed and outfitted with high-tech navigation gear, the marauders had targeted ships carrying valuable cargoes of grain, iron ore and oil. Many of the groups had also been involved in drugs, weapons and human smuggling, mostly across the Gulf of Aden.

In November of last year, pirates took on an American cruise ship with rocket-propelled grenades. In March, two US naval ships engaged in a fire-fight with a band of buccaneers. And just last month, a group calling itself the Somali Marines -- aka the Defenders of Somali Territorial Waters -- released 25 Asian fishermen after holding them hostage for four months. The South Korean owners of a fishing boat captures on April 4 reportedly paid more than €630,000 for the sailors' release. Twenty crewmen of a high-jacked Arabian tanker remain in custody.

The move to reign in piracy along the Somali coast has been welcomed by the UN World Food Program. Pirates had disrupted UN aid shipments to the country on more than one occasion and tradesmen had largely ceased doing business in the affected areas. According to the WFP, more than 1.4 million Somalis are suffering from hunger as a result of draught.

The ICU on Tuesday also moved to ban the export of charcoal, wild animals and scrap metal across those parts of the country under their control. Moves in the past to rein in such trade have proved largely ineffective, though without environmental or wildlife officials in the country, it is hard to measure success.
"
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 02:22:46 PM »

Ah, I'd seen a short article referring to that elsewhere. Now the $20,000,000 question about the ICU has been and remains this: is this a Somali version of the Taliban or not?

Quite a lot rides on that answer...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 06:03:32 PM »

*hmm hmm hmm*
*hmm*
*yep, again*
*and again*
*and again*
*UPDATED AGAIN*
- The ICU has announced plans to extend their control to the Mudug Region (my source inverted the g and the d Roll Eyes ) to 'eradicate piracy in Haradere' (and no, I can't find that place on the map either Tongue but it was the birthplace of an ex-President of Somalia...in the Obbia district, which I also can't find on the map, but I will make a phonentic guess and say it's Hobyo on the map). The ICU also says they want to establish a shariah court there.

Only one event of importance, but important enough for this: the Ethiopians have apparently moved directly into Baidoa to protect the airport there from the ICU. There's been a lot of claims and counter-claims about this.

OK, the BBC has provided a map here and it finally answers a question of mine! Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose Regions are shown as allied with the ICU. Mind you, the same map is out of date on the situation in Galguduud and Mudug Regions...

So...
Banaadir, Shabeellaha Hoose, Shabeellaha Dhexe, Hiraan, Galguduud, Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose - ICU control
Nugaal, Bari - Puntland control, although I am beginning to wonder about Nugaal...
Sanaag, Sool - Contested between Somaliland and Puntland, with the ICU making an appearance in Sool.

*edit*
Look at the TFG's Cabinet Surprise Warlords from Kismayo, Baidoa, and Mogadishu - including Hussein Aideed, son (and ex-U.S. Marine) of the infamous Mohammad Farrah Aideed of Black Hawk Down fame, and a representative from Somaliland! Whoa...now, whether the Somaliland representative has anything to do with the Somaliland government is another question...

OK, from yet another source...
"August 23, 2006: Fearing an Islamic Courts threat to its southern regions,
secessionist Puntland has sought assistance from Ethiopia, already lending a hand, and troops, to back the Somali Transitional Federal Government in Baidoa. Ethiopian troops have been quietly moving into southern Puntland. "

Aaaaaand here we go, another battlefront is developing, as hinted at in all those parts I bolded in the earlier posts. Wink The presence of Ethiopian troops in Puntland is, however, a new development.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 06:30:07 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2006, 06:32:42 PM by ilikeverin »

You see, Puntland is so weak they need help from Ethiopia.  Somaliland needs no such help Cheesy

EDIT: To the $20,000,000 question: They sound more like a new Hezbollah to me... call the evil westernist imperialist capitalists and their ways evil, while simultanously doing some good (e.g. creating stability, arresting those pirates) to become beloved by the common people.  But that's just a guess Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 06:37:13 PM »

You see, Puntland is so weak they need help from Ethiopia.  Somaliland needs no such help Cheesy

EDIT: To the $20,000,000 question: They sound more like a new Hezbollah to me... call the evil westernist imperialist capitalists and their ways evil, while simultanously doing some good (e.g. creating stability, arresting those pirates) to become beloved by the common people.  But that's just a guess Smiley

Damn straight. Grin

Hmm...interesting idea...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2006, 11:50:01 AM »

Damn straight. Grin

Problem is, the Taliban did all that as well. They just did a couple of things extra that were not quite so cool...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »

Damn straight. Grin

Problem is, the Taliban did all that as well. They just did a couple of things extra that were not quite so cool...
Bringing us back to my $20,000,000 question... Wink and no, nothing new really to report...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2006, 02:22:50 PM »

*pause*
*hmm hmm hmm*
*hmm*
*yep, again*
*and again*
*and again*
*UPDATED AGAIN*

So...

*edit*

OK, from yet another source...
"August 23, 2006: Fearing an Islamic Courts threat to its southern regions,
secessionist Puntland has sought assistance from Ethiopia, already lending a hand, and troops, to back the Somali Transitional Federal Government in Baidoa. Ethiopian troops have been quietly moving into southern Puntland. "

Aaaaaand here we go, another battlefront is developing, as hinted at in all those parts I bolded in the earlier posts. Wink The presence of Ethiopian troops in Puntland is, however, a new development.

OK, first off, the ICU threatened the Ethiopians with war if they didn't withdraw their troops from Somalia (back on the 25th, I think). The question is, do they have enough strength to push the Ethiopians out? This question was posed in an analytical article I read, and the conclusion was that the ICU is at a cross-roads - consolidate what they have taken so far or attack Baidoa? At the moment, neither the ICU nor the Ethiopians have the power to push past their current positions, but the ICU might choose to try and increase its power by gaining the support of the merchants and citizenry by opening the port of Mogadishu and enabling trade goods and aid to flow through it...that appears to be happening. Also, the ICU is reported to be running a training camp outside Jowhar, with foreign trainers...yep, from Islamic countries. Now, the ICU probably wants to train their own people there, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be used as an international jihadist base as well...which is a very big question mark hovering over the situation there.

Oh, and the ICU appears to be banning NGOs. Nice. Roll Eyes
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2006, 11:54:19 AM »

*massive snipping for space*
So...

Not much new on the battlefront, but lots of negotiations between the ICU and TFG...maybe they agreed to unify, maybe not, maybe they agreed to kick the Ethiopians out, maybe not. The ICU is opposed to the sending of foreign peacekeepers...maybe even to the point of threatening jihad.

Which foreign peacekeepers? See here.

From Strategypage: (I'll get more updated information from here when I get it...the site is banned from work Roll Eyes )
"SOMALIA:  Partition
August 31, 2006: The Islamic Courts are trying to move into the separatist Puntland region. In recent weeks the Puntland government has exiled or jailed scores of clerics who have entered the region preaching the need for people to accept Islamic law, and rule by the Islamic Courts.

Puntland has already asked for-and apparently received-military support from Ethiopia. This has prompted Eritrea, which is engaged in cold war with Ethiopia, to ship equipment to the Islamic Courts, perhaps as a way of opening a new "front" in its confrontation with Ethiopia.

Meanwhile, the Islamic Courts has begun cracking down on piracy and smuggling. Aside from trying to block the import of luxury goods and items prohibited by Islamic law, such as booze, the Islamic Courts wants to stop the export of charcoal and exotic animals, which many religious leaders argue are degrading the already fragile environment. The Islamic Courts has also called for an end to piracy. These measures may create problems. Some of the tribal and warlord militias that have provided it with the muscle with which to seize control of most of central and southern Somalia are deeply involved in these lucrative activities, and may decide to withdraw their support for the Islamic Courts.

August 30, 2006: Ethiopia reported that the Ethiopian peacekeeping contingent in Burundi had moved back to Ethiopia. Ethiopia had kept a small peacekeeping force in Burundi since 2003 as part of the international peacekeeping force organized to support the peace agreement that began the process of ending Burundi's civil war.

Eritrean government representatives met with representatives from the government of Djibouti to discuss the situation in Somalia. An Eritrean spokesman said that Ethiopian troops were in Somalia.

August 29, 2006: Ethiopian troops are deployed between the Ethiopian border and the Somali town of Baidoa (seat of Somalia's transitional federal government). Ethiopia only admits that is has "trainers" working with the Somali transitional federal government. A spokesman for Somalia's Puntland region (a semi-autonomous area in Somalia) said the 250 Ethiopian military trainers are in the town of Galkayo. The trainers are working with Puntland's local security forces.

Kenyan and Ethiopian government representatives issued a statement that said Kenya and Ethiopia support the formation of a "peace operation" in Somalia to "safeguard" political gains made by Somalia. If that sounds like code language for protecting the Somali transitional federal government, well, it is.

August 28, 2006: The Islamic Courts and the transitional government have agreed to resume peace talks in Sudan on September 2nd. Despite much posturing, the Islamic Courts apparently do not want to go to war with Ethiopia, which is supporting the transitional government. At the moment, Somalia is, in effect, partitioned into four separate entities. In the north there are the unrecognized states of Puntland and Somaliland, which organized functioning governments in the late 1990s. But now, the Islamic Courts have taken control of most of the southern Somalia, leaving the transitional government with parts of central Somalia.

August 26, 2006: Somalia's transitional federal government accused Eritrea of shipping arms to Somalia's Islamic Courts militia. The Somali government also claimed (without substantiation) that 1500 Eritrean troops had boarded three ships in the Eritrea port of Massawa and that one of the ships was currently docked at a port north of Mogadishu. The report did not provide further details. The accusation of actual Eritrean troop involvement in Somalia, however, is telling. In many ways, the Ethiopian-Eritrean war had moved from the disputed Ethiopia-Eritrea border region to Somalia."

And a note from me: Ethiopia conducts a lot of trade through the ports in Somaliland, given that trade through Eritrea is blocked and Djibouti loves to charge them a ton for use of their ports. This gives Ethiopia a very strong economic incentive to support Somaliland against the ICU, and I suppose ikncreases their desire to use Puntland as a buffer. I would also like to point out how countries in the region appear to be taking sides...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2006, 11:36:51 AM »

*massive snipping for space, again*
So...

I knew StrategyPage wouldn't let me down Cheesy regardless of ideological leanings, they cover everything military or war-related. I quoted the whole set because I think it gives a good overall survey of the situation...bolded parts are my emphasis...

"September 7, 2006: Some Puntland factions want to work with the Islamic Courts. These are the same factions that are inclined towards reunification with Somalia, and are angry at what they perceive as government corruption.

Meanwhile, popular opposition to the Islamic Courts is growing. This is mainly because the more radical of the Islamic Courts leaders have been allowed to use their gunmen to enforce strict rules of "Islamic" behavior. For example, movie theaters, videos, television and music have been outlawed in Mogadishu (and some other towns where the Islamic radicals have sufficient influence.) Women are being forced to curb their movements and cover up. Somali women traditionally have a lot of freedom of action, responsibility, and economic power. The crackdown of the Islamic conservatives [not in what was emailed to me, but probably "is a threat to traditional Somali female freedoms."]

September 6, 2006: While Ethiopia and Kenya are willing to send peacekeepers to Somalia, that is opposed by of Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan and Uganda, as well as the Islamic Courts and former members of the Somali armed forces. But the transitional government has long backed a peacekeeping force. The peacekeeper issue again, as it did in Sudan, comes down to a tug-of-war between the African Union/UN/West, and the Arab Union/Islamic Conservatives.

September 5, 2006: For the first time in over a decade, Mogadishu's port received a relief shipment.  The reopening of the port makes it a lot easier, and cheaper, to get food, and other, aid, into the country.

September 4, 2006: The Islamic Courts and transitional government have agreed to form a joint military force. However, no dates were specified, and the peace talks were adjourned until October 30th. A lot can happen between now and then."

OK...we have a possible civil war inside Puntland between pro- and anti-ICU factions...foreign interference with the role of Somali women...a regional schism developing over Somalia...and supposed diplomacy in the meanwhile. Damn, this could get even messier...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2006, 03:05:50 PM »

*snip*
So...

OK, the big news from multiple sources is that the African Union has agreed to send 8000 troops to Somalia, despite ICU opposition. That could get very messy.

From the same article: "The interim government has the support of the UN, but it controls only a small area of the country around its base in Baidoa, about 250km from the capital and a powerful local warlord has ordered them to leave." I wonder which warlord that is...

Other news: the TFG accused the ICU of moving to capture Kismayo (which I thought they had...hmm, maybe a switch from "allied" to "controlled" is in order) and the ICU denied that.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2006, 03:54:57 PM »

So...
Jubbada Dhexe and Jubbada Hoose - Contested between ICU and the Juba Valley Alliance, the local power there. This is new...
Mudug - Contested between Puntland, ICU, and maybe local warlords.
[snip]
Other news: the TFG accused the ICU of moving to capture Kismayo (which I thought they had...hmm, maybe a switch from "allied" to "controlled" is in order) and the ICU denied that.

In recent days - around Sept. 18 -, there was an attempt to assassinate the President of the TFG via suicide bomber. The TFG blamed jihadists for certain and maybe the ICU. The ICU blamed the Ethiopians (come on, that doesn't even make sense... Roll Eyes ). This pretty much ended the peace negotiations that were going on between the ICU and the TFG.

But the bigger news follows the bolded section in the quote above.

The ICU is advancing on Kismayo/Chisimayu after all - in order to close the border with Kenya and prevent foreign peacekeepers from entering...ostensibly, although the African Union was highly unlikely to actually assemble a force due to cost - but more likely to gain more territory and also to prevent the TFG from reaming, and the Juba Valley Alliance (hey, they are still around after all...), under "interim Defense Minister Col. Abdikadir Adan Shire, a warlord better known as Barre Hiraale", is intending to resist them. This also appears to violate an agreement between the ICU and TFG to 'stop military expansion in the Horn of Africa'. Oh, and the U.S. appears to be adopting a neutral stance on the ICU - TFG war.

More news whenever I get it...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies