Who are the non-Republican voters in very Republican areas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:31:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who are the non-Republican voters in very Republican areas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are the non-Republican voters in very Republican areas?  (Read 1337 times)
DonnaSummer
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2006, 11:11:43 PM »
« edited: July 22, 2006, 02:14:41 AM by DonnaSummer »

Hi,
I'm new.

I hope I can word this question clearly(I also ramble alot):
Who are the non-Republican voters(mainly Democratic voters but not necessarily I suppose) in wildly Republican areas?

I'm primarily referring to rural or small-town areas especially in like Western Oklahoma, NW Texas, Western Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, etc....places like that...
You get some of these counties that are 75% or higher, even 85,90% Republican. Ok, fine. But that still means there's a minority Dem(or otherwise) vote from these areas. So the people doing that, whats their deal?
Can anyone give a 'type' profile of them?
If anyones going to say they're minority blacks or hispanics, that might work for some areas, but I didn't really think they were many blacks or hispanics in, say, Idaho so I don't think that can necessarily be a catch-all explanation.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 01:45:54 AM »

Welcome to the forum! Smiley

This is actually one of my favourite things to look at.  When studying precinct returns, it becomes clear that there are certain areas where voting Republican (or Democrat, granted, but those are inner cities ) is nearly part of the culture.  Everyone goes to the same church, frequents the same stores, and knows each other.  However, there are also some interesting differences.  That is, a place that voted Bush 2-to-1 can sometimes vote for a local Democrat by a larger margin than a less Republican area.  Some areas are just more "solid."  But it does make you wonder who those few people are...

The Seattle Times did a report on a town called Washtucna, located in the eastern part of the state, and why it is still so Republican.  Washtucna gave Bush a victory of over 3-to-1.  Downticket, one incumbent Democrat came close against a Republican who was actually unendorsed by the party.  Despite this, the article focuses on how many of the strong Bush supporters consider themselves to be independents -- they even campaigned for Scoop Jackson!

Granted, though, there are very few areas where the opposing party just can't win anything.  When faced with a popular incumbent versus a crazy, most will at least be close.

I'd wager that a lot of this is "moderates" who vote near straight-ticket Republican because their parents did, and everyone else does.  They may stray a bit down the ballot, but by and large they find no reason to vote for the Democrats -- the Republicans are "good enough."

So, as to your question...I suppose it varies.  In Washtucna, one of the few openly Democratic residents is the owner of a local tavern, who explains the town's Republican nature as being "hereditary."  For a lot of people, living in these areas is something that they have done all their lives.  Politics aside, they don't see any reason to leave.

There's also economics.  These are traditionally farming/agro areas.  While even the Democrats might be socially moderate or conservative, they may be strongly anti-big business.  This is certainly a sentiment not lost on even the stronger Republican voters in places like these.  Of course, a national candidate has to express social views as well (alienating these voters), and local candidates may not be able to get the word out enough -- many people vote straight GOP downticket because they don't know enough about the races, but feel guilty not voting.

It's a very interesting topic, but I'd have to say that a lot of the Democratic voters in these areas are normal residents who just happen to agree with the Democratic Party more.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 11:58:26 AM »

Welcome Donna.

In the types of areas you're describing, I think that the non-Republican voters probably don't appear any different than the Republican voters.  They are probably just people who have different views on certain issues, but don't necessarily advertise that fact.

BTW Donna -- are you a man or a woman?  Since there's long been some question about the real Donna Summer, is your failure to put your gender in your profile some type of message? Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies