Atlasian-South Korea Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:09:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Atlasian-South Korea Free Trade Bill  (Read 19426 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2006, 09:53:37 PM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and South Korea.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:44:36 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2006, 11:21:01 AM by Senator jerusalemcar5 »

AMENDMENT:

3. All motor vehicles and motor vehicle components manufactured in the Republic of Korea (South Korea) shall be exempt from this Act.

[What other changes do I need?]
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 07:33:48 AM »

AMENDMENT:

All motor vehicles and motor vehicle components manufactured in the Republic of Korea (South Korea) shall be exempt from this Act.

Might I suggest writing the amendments better? Like adding a "3." to show that it would be a third clause in front of it?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:20:13 AM »

AMENDMENT:

All motor vehicles and motor vehicle components manufactured in the Republic of Korea (South Korea) shall be exempt from this Act.

Might I suggest writing the amendments better? Like adding a "3." to show that it would be a third clause in front of it?
Eh, why can't you pretty it up?  Fine, Jedi, I will write them in correct fashion.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 11:21:06 AM »

AMENDMENT:

Eh, why can't you pretty it up?  Fine, Jedi, I will write them in correct fashion.

I don't mean fix it, I was saying it for future reference.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 02:48:07 PM »

The issue of free trade with South Korea is one of the most crucial economic issues facing Atlasia today.  South Korea's economy is one of the strongest in Asia, and over the past quarter century, it has become a global player in light electronics, auto production, and manufactured goods.  With cheaper labor and a less unionized workforce than most Western countries, South Korea has the potential to be a trading partner that would greatly benefit some major multinational Atlasian corporations.  It also has the potential to effectively ruin thousands of small manufacturing businesses across Atlasia, not to mention the devastating effect it could have on those Atlasians who hold manufacturing or industrial jobs. 

It is my opinion that unrestricted free trade with South Korea would also have an effect on the white-collar sector.  South Korea, like Atlasia, also has a large portion of its population that is well-educated.  With the lower wages in South Korea, passage of this bill would eventually result in the offshoring of research jobs to Korea.  Companies such as DuPont, General Electric, and IBM would seize this opportunity to open up research and development centers in Seoul and Pusan, while closing others in Atlasia.  The passage of this bill could therefore have negative repercussions on not just the working class, but also a large portion of Atlasia's highly-educated workforce.

I therefore will propose an amendment to this bill to protect these jobs.  My colleague from Georgia, Senator Dave Hawk, proposed a similar amendment to the Atlasian-India Free Trade Bill, which the Senate passed last month.

Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 02:48:43 PM »

I hereby propose the following amendment:

1. No tariffs with the exception of manufactured goods only , customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Republic of Korea.
2. The following tariffs will apply to the following manufactured goods:
i. High-technological products and non-technological manufactured goods valued at over $500 shall be subject to an ad valorem tariff of 10% [i.e. a fixed % of the value of the good that is being imported].
ii. High-technological products and non-technological manufacturing products valued at $500 or under and non-technological products shall be subject to an ad valorem tariff of 20% [i.e. a fixed % of the value of the good that is being imported]
3. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 06:26:41 PM »

I hereby propose the following amendment:

1. No tariffs with the exception of manufactured goods only , customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Republic of Korea.
i. High-technological products and non-technological manufactured goods valued at over $500 shall be subject to an ad valorem tariff of 10% [i.e. a fixed % of the value of the good that is being imported].
ii. High-technological products and non-technological manufacturing products valued at $500 or under and non-technological products shall be subject to an ad valorem tariff of 20% [i.e. a fixed % of the value of the good that is being imported]
3. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.

I will, wholeheartedly, support my esteemed colleague's amendment

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 09:05:25 PM »

I strongly diagree with the amendment of Senator Virginian87.  I believe that the technology sector is not threatened in the US and South Korea is an appropriate nation to be building such products.  I stand by restricting tariffs to motor vehicles since our extremely important auto indstry should not be further injured by this act.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 08:19:22 AM »

I hearby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

3. All motor vehicles and motor vehicle components manufactured in the Republic of Korea (South Korea) shall be exempt from this Act.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 08:19:48 AM »

Nay, if an amendment has to be added, V87's is better.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 08:22:27 AM »

Nay

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 12:18:59 PM »

Aye,Virginian87's goes to way too far.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 12:45:33 PM »

Nay, free trade means free trade. There is no need for such an amendment.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 12:58:54 PM »

Nay, since I prefer V87's amendment.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 01:29:41 PM »

Aye
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 03:12:03 PM »

Nay.  I believe my amendment covers this issue better anyway.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 03:14:35 PM »

This amendment has failed.

There shall be a mandatory 24 hours debate now on V87's amendment before the vote is opened. I just thought I'd say this since we haven't had two amendments to a bill in awhile.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 05:14:31 PM »

Well I'll start the debate.

I do admit the amendment of Virginian87 was written better than mine.  However, I believe it is far too extensive in the fact that all high technology goods are exempt.  I believe the labor laws of the Republic of Korea are satisfactory enough, and our technological sector strong enough that free trade would not hurt anyone.  The auto industry, though, is in severe trouble.  It has struggled with South Korean cars and the industry is starting to flounder.  This is especially worrysome as they are one of the largest employers in the country. 

So, I will be voting against Senator Virginian87's amendment becuase it is too far reaching.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 03:14:36 PM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 03:15:43 PM »

Abstain
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 04:24:30 PM »

Nay. 

This goes to far and destroys the bill.  This country does not deserve it and neither does ours.  It does not propose any detrimental affects to any industry but our automotive industry.  Unofrtunately, that amendment was defeated.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

Nay, no point to this bill if it doesn't actually include free trade.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 04:33:19 PM »

Abstain
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 05:55:51 PM »

Aye on the amendment. 

I will remind my fellow senators that this body passed the Atlasia-India Free Trade Bill one month ago with a nearly identical amendment.  This shouldn't be too much of a surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies