Atlasian-South Korea Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:04:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian-South Korea Free Trade Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Atlasian-South Korea Free Trade Bill  (Read 19421 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 06:37:44 PM »

Oh, on the amendment?  Nope.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »

Aye on the amendment. 

I will remind my fellow senators that this body passed the Atlasia-India Free Trade Bill one month ago with a nearly identical amendment.  This shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

India exploits children and threatens our jobs much more than South Korea does.  South Korea has a better democracy, better labor laws, and is a complement to our economy.  They are not the same in the slightest.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 05:29:28 AM »

Nay
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 05:44:46 AM »

Aye

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 10:59:26 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2006, 11:01:34 AM by Senator jerusalemcar5 »

It is funny that the one free trade bill that will actually help Atlasia, you vote to restrict.

What is your reasoning, may I ask?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2006, 11:49:08 AM »

Aye.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2006, 12:43:40 PM »

Aye on the amendment. 

I will remind my fellow senators that this body passed the Atlasia-India Free Trade Bill one month ago with a nearly identical amendment.  This shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

India exploits children and threatens our jobs much more than South Korea does.  South Korea has a better democracy, better labor laws, and is a complement to our economy.  They are not the same in the slightest.

I believe you are missing my point, J-Car.  The passage of this amendment should not rely on whether the government of the country is democratic.  I hope my fellow senators don't see that this amendment is unnecessary just because South Korea has higher human rights standards then India. 

Please read my earlier post, which stated my reasoning for this amendment.  You are correct that South Korea has a more democratic government and better labor laws than India.  What you fail to see is that the wages of the South Korean workforce are still cheaper, meaning that it would cost less for Atlasian manufacturing companies to export jobs to Korea than it would to keep them in Atlasia.  Offshore outsourcing would still be a problem if this bill passed without the amendment; in fact it might very well increase.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, South Korea has a highly educated workforce that is willing to work for less.  This could lead to a new and perhaps more threatening kind of offshoring, i.e. that of research and development.  In the last six years, companies like General Electric and United Technologies have begun opening laboratories and research centers in Russia, India, and China.  No doubt that South Korea would be a prime candidate for this type of offshoring if this bill were passed without this amendment. 

I will not stand to see Atlasian professionals lose their jobs, and that is why I believe this amendment is necessary.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2006, 01:51:06 PM »

Aye on the amendment. 

I believe you are missing my point, J-Car.  The passage of this amendment should not rely on whether the government of the country is democratic.  I hope my fellow senators don't see that this amendment is unnecessary just because South Korea has higher human rights standards then India. 

Please read my earlier post, which stated my reasoning for this amendment.  You are correct that South Korea has a more democratic government and better labor laws than India.  What you fail to see is that the wages of the South Korean workforce are still cheaper, meaning that it would cost less for Atlasian manufacturing companies to export jobs to Korea than it would to keep them in Atlasia.  Offshore outsourcing would still be a problem if this bill passed without the amendment; in fact it might very well increase.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, South Korea has a highly educated workforce that is willing to work for less.  This could lead to a new and perhaps more threatening kind of offshoring, i.e. that of research and development.  In the last six years, companies like General Electric and United Technologies have begun opening laboratories and research centers in Russia, India, and China.  No doubt that South Korea would be a prime candidate for this type of offshoring if this bill were passed without this amendment. 

I will not stand to see Atlasian professionals lose their jobs, and that is why I believe this amendment is necessary.

Well I believe we have different economic interpretations then.  I don't believe South Korea really poses much of a threat at all in that regard.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2006, 05:36:31 PM »

It is funny that the one free trade bill that will actually help Atlasia, you vote to restrict.

What is your reasoning, may I ask?

Well, although South Korea is no India, I agree with the reasoning put forward by my learned colleague Senator Virginian87 and agreed to support his amendment

'Hawk'
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »

NAH NAH - NAAHH NAHHH,

NAY NAY NAY

Gooooddd byeee!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2006, 06:27:24 PM »

This amendment has failed.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2006, 06:39:03 PM »

Well, how about this then? I, hereby, propose the following amendment:

1. No tariffs with the exception of motor vehicles and motor vehicle components only , customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Republic of Korea.
2. The following tariffs will apply to the following manufactured goods:
i. Motor vehicles shall be subject to an ad valorem tariff of 10% [i.e. a fixed % of the value of the good that is being imported].
ii. Motor vehicle components shall be subject to ad valorem tariff of 20% [i.e. a fixed % of the value of the good that is being imported]
3. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.

'Hawk'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2006, 08:04:43 PM »

Aye
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »

Thank you Hawk.  That is how I mean tto introduce it and plan to introduce my amendment from now on.  I do support this amendment.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2006, 09:42:28 PM »

I'm disappointed that my amendment failed, but I believe Hawk's amendment to be a sufficient compromise.  I will therefore support his amendment as well.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 01:18:23 PM »

And I'll support Hawk's amendment as well.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 05:15:17 PM »

Yup, I suppose.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 05:19:38 PM »

There's no vote for about an hour yet. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »

Well then stop confusing me by talking to be about the amendment on AIM Angry Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2006, 06:39:28 PM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. No tariffs with the exception of motor vehicles and motor vehicle components only , customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Republic of Korea.
2. The following tariffs will apply to the following manufactured goods:
i. Motor vehicles shall be subject to an ad valorem tariff of 10% [i.e. a fixed % of the value of the good that is being imported].
ii. Motor vehicle components shall be subject to ad valorem tariff of 20% [i.e. a fixed % of the value of the good that is being imported]
3. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 06:39:57 PM »

Aye
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 06:40:53 PM »

Now yup *ahem*
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2006, 06:46:25 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 07:35:39 PM »

Aye.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 10:25:21 PM »

Nay, protectionist drivel crops up again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies