Atlasian-Solomon Islands Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:52:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasian-Solomon Islands Free Trade Bill  (Read 7815 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2006, 07:32:12 AM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and the Solomon Islands.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:53:05 PM »

I will not be proposing any amendments to this Bill

'Hawk'
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »

I have concerns over this bill. The summer of 2002 saw an armed insurrection. In April of this year, allegations that the PM had accepted bribes from Chines businessmenn, led to large scale rioting and attacks on property and business owned or ran by the Chinese community, even if they had no connections to the scandal itself. As with Fiji, I am concerned at recent racial tensions and government corruption. An enquiry is currently underway that is also focusing on police corruption and heavy handedness. In a nation as small as the Solomon islands, and with a interdependent political and business 'elite', I am concerned that trade with the islands will neither be free from government or beurocratic interference, or particularly fair.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 06:25:02 PM »

I have concerns over this bill. The summer of 2002 saw an armed insurrection. In April of this year, allegations that the PM had accepted bribes from Chines businessmenn, led to large scale rioting and attacks on property and business owned or ran by the Chinese community, even if they had no connections to the scandal itself. As with Fiji, I am concerned at recent racial tensions and government corruption. An enquiry is currently underway that is also focusing on police corruption and heavy handedness. In a nation as small as the Solomon islands, and with a interdependent political and business 'elite', I am concerned that trade with the islands will neither be free from government or beurocratic interference, or particularly fair.

Thanks for shedding light on the situation in the Solomon Islands, Mr Secretary. Given your reasoning, perhaps now is not an appropriate time to offer free trade to the Solomon Islands; however, they are not currently subject to any economic restrictions on our part

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:44:08 PM »

The guy resigned faced with a vote of no confidence and parliment elected a new person to fill the position so that's over.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 07:06:46 PM »

The guy resigned faced with a vote of no confidence and parliment elected a new person to fill the position so that's over.

Yes, but only for a matter of months. You can't offer a free trade agreement based on a government that has not actually had the chance to govern for a sufficient period of time. It is an irresponsible economic and foreign policy move. The situation is still unstable, particularly as the tribunal begins and we could end up with something similar happening again in the next few months. Until the government has been in power for at least a year and proven itself to be open, accountable and uncorrupt then this proposal should be put to rest.

As it stands I cannot support it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 07:09:07 PM »

Yes, but only for a matter of months. You can't offer a free trade agreement based on a government that has not actually had the chance to govern for a sufficient period of time. It is an irresponsible economic and foreign policy move. The situation is still unstable, particularly as the tribunal begins and we could end up with something similar happening again in the next few months. Until the government has been in power for at least a year and proven itself to be open, accountable and uncorrupt then this proposal should be put to rest.

As it stands I cannot support it without a clause that will allow it to be suspended immediately should violence, corruption or instability flare up again.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 07:50:57 PM »

There will be an amendment to this Bill. I'm liasing with the Secretary of State and as soon as I've heard from him, I'll propose it

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 04:28:46 AM »

In seeking to address the valid concerns raised by the Secretary of State, I, hereby, propose the following amendment:

3. Given recent ethnic tensions and corruption, it is a requirement of this Act that the Solomon Islands be committed to improving ethnic relations between its ethnic groups be committed to rooting out corruption. This shall be monitored by the Secretary of State. In the event of any further ethnic violence that may erupt that may threaten the political and economic stability of the Solomon Islands, and, thus, our mutual interests, then he may temporarily suspend the terms of, and/or request that the Senate revoke this Act in its entirety.

It is only right we proceed with caution on this Bill too

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 08:59:01 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

3. Given recent ethnic tensions and corruption, it is a requirement of this Act that the Solomon Islands be committed to improving ethnic relations between its ethnic groups be committed to rooting out corruption. This shall be monitored by the Secretary of State. In the event of any further ethnic violence that may erupt that may threaten the political and economic stability of the Solomon Islands, and, thus, our mutual interests, then he may temporarily suspend the terms of, and/or request that the Senate revoke this Act in its entirety.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 12:05:49 PM »

Aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »

Aye
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 12:11:09 PM »

Nay
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 01:20:19 PM »

Aye.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »

Aye
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 04:18:33 PM »

Aye.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 05:10:15 PM »

Yup
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 05:12:02 PM »

This amendment has passed.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 07:28:32 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 05:21:43 AM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 05:14:25 PM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 05:14:54 PM »

Aye
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 05:22:15 PM »