Day 182: Uzbekistan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:54:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 182: Uzbekistan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 182: Uzbekistan  (Read 790 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:10:22 PM »

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/uz.html

Discuss.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 03:11:36 PM »

A doubly landlocked dictatorship. Kinda like Liechtenstein then.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 03:32:13 PM »

Heh. Horrible government, which kicked the U.S. out after we criticized them for massacring their political opponents. Said government then received tons of support from Russia and China, neither of whom gets nearly the amount of sh!t that Bush did when we allied with them for the purposes of overthrowing the Taliban. Events like that make me every bit as cynical about the left's foreign policy as about the right's. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »

Heh. Horrible government, which kicked the U.S. out after we criticized them for massacring their political opponents. Said government then received tons of support from Russia and China, neither of whom gets nearly the amount of sh!t that Bush did when we allied with them for the purposes of overthrowing the Taliban. Events like that make me every bit as cynical about the left's foreign policy as about the right's. Tongue
Who says Russia and China's foreign policy is supported by the Left, though?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 03:52:04 PM »

Who says Russia and China's foreign policy is supported by the Left, though?
They don't seem to support it. But they sure are a lot quieter about it than about that of the U.S., which is sad given that Russia and China do more to undermine human rights, democracy, and liberty in general than anyone else on the planet.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 03:54:27 PM »

The very presence of a dictatorship as large as China certainly does a lot to undermine that, yeah.

Of course they're quieter about what some foreign government does than about what their own government does - that's called basic human decency. Grin Clean your own house first and all that...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 03:57:25 PM »

The very presence of a dictatorship as large as China certainly does a lot to undermine that, yeah.

Of course they're quieter about what some foreign government does than about what their own government does - that's called basic human decency. Grin Clean your own house first and all that...
They screw up the Freedom House statistics horribly! Angry

OK, that might work for the American Left, but what about the International (especially the European) Left? Wink The absolute pits of humanity usually have Chinese or Russian arms flowing to them...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 04:00:54 PM »

Guess I should add that "Uzbekistan is a horrible dictatorship, and we're supporting that" did, of course, also serve as a cynical talking point to partisan Democrats in the US who didn't, actually, care all that much about what their government was doing in Uzbekistan, as long as it made that government look bad.
So if that's what you meant, you're right.

(Your post came in before I could post.
As to Europe, you seem to underestimate the influence your government wields here. In a sense and to a certain degree, your government is also my government. When people say the rest of the world should get to vote in US presidential elections, they're not being serious, but they're not entirely kidding either.)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »

Guess I should add that "Uzbekistan is a horrible dictatorship, and we're supporting that" did, of course, also serve as a cynical talking point to partisan Democrats in the US who didn't, actually, care all that much about what their government was doing in Uzbekistan, as long as it made that government look bad.
So if that's what you meant, you're right.

(Your post came in before I could post.
As to Europe, you seem to underestimate the influence your government wields here. In a sense and to a certain degree, your government is also my government. When people say the rest of the world should get to vote in US presidential elections, they're not being serious, but they're not entirely kidding either.)

Actually, yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. Grin I despise the regime there as much as anyone, but in 2001-2, we really did need their bases to attack the Taliban. Sad The world doth suck sometimes. Wink

OK, I wasn't aware of that at all. Shocked I thought we didn't have any influence over there anymore. Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies