Resolution on the Middle East Conflict
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:48:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Resolution on the Middle East Conflict  (Read 15008 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »

This is in the fifth slot.

Recognising that the security and stability of the Middle East is threatened by the current conflict between Hizbollah and Israel,

The Atlasian Senate hereby recognises that;
(1) the terrorist group, Hizbollah, is acting without legitimate cause or grievance;
(2) it is acting with the tacit support of the Syrian and Iranian governments;
(3) should this support continue the government of Atlasia should not stand idly by, but should actively support the state of Israel in dealing with this foreign aggression;
(4) while the state of Israel is entitled to be strong and secure within its borders, attacks on non-military targets, inflicting fatalities and serious injuries on foreign citizens, are actions contrary to generally recognised human rights and should be discontinued.

Sponsor: Sen. Jas
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2006, 09:07:52 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

I hereby introduce this amendment to rewrite the bill:

Recognizing that the security and stability of the Middle East is threatened by the current conflict between Hezbollah and Israel,

The Atlasian Senate hereby recognizes that:
1. The terrorist group, Hezbollah, is acting without legitimate cause or grievance and is slaughtering innocent Israeli citizens.
2. It is acting with the tacit support of the Syrian and Iranian governments.

Thus the Atlasian Senate hereby:
1. Condemns Hezbollah, Syria and Iran.
2. Condemns Hezbollah for launching rockets from civilian areas, thus making Israel attack civilian areas and causing undue death of Lebanese citizens to protect its own citizens.
3. Gives wholehearted support to the Israeli government in their attacks against Hezbollah and supports its complete destruction.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 04:41:41 PM »

Deleting Clause 4 will make us look like a joke.  We need to say that their strikes have been out of line and inappropriate.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 04:58:23 PM »

I fully support Jedi's amendment.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 05:05:36 PM »

I am willing to support Senator MasterJedi's amendment only if Clause IV be stricken.  I believe that the situation will only become more of a threat to Atlasian national security if we present ourselves as poised to sell weapons to the Israelis.  I am not against Israel, but I am concerned about the effect of this bill on our endeavors in the Middle East.  We're fighting a tough conflict in Iraq as it is.  If we come out explicitly on the side of Israel, I think the situation is only going to worsen. 

Other than Clause IV, I believe that this amendment is sound.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 05:14:23 PM »

Yeah, like MasterJedi's amendment isn't completely pro-Israel on all accounts Roll Eyes

I like Jas's original version Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 05:38:13 AM »

I, unsurprisingly, do not support Masterjedi's proposed amendment. The actions of the Israeli government have shown reckless disregard for the lives of innocent civilians.

Gravely disproportionate reactions, such as that of Israel, turns moderate sympathisers to radicals and  will almost certainly result in a great increase in support for Hizbollah. The solution to these problems must surely be a political process. This opinion is informed by the histories of such groups as the IRA and ETA.

Of course, Israel has the right to defend itself. It does not, however, have the right to take it's retribution against the innocent Lebanese.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »

I have concerns over Clause 4. Israel can defeat Hezbollah by itself and with its own manpower and weaponry, and rightly so. We should not be drawn into this conflict militarily and should instead, provide Israel with diplomatic support.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »

Ok, I have withdrawn clause 4, I hope it's satisfactory to most Senators so it can pass.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 10:05:35 AM »

I agree with the sentiments expressed by Senator Virginian87 and Secretary of State Afleitch. I will be supporting Jedi's amendment without Clause 4

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 10:58:25 AM »

I struggle with Clause 2 (Jedi version).  Israeli missiles struck civilian areas first, and in response Hezbollah launched rockets into Israel.  Not the other way around.  They certainly did not "force" Israel to kill civilians as Israel acted of its own volition.

Also Clause 3 (Jedi version) gives support to Israel destroying Lebanon's infrastructure and killing Lebanese civilians.  We cannot just blindly support Israel, we must be a mediating force.  Israel has done some terrible things, although they certainly have a much more just cause than Hezbollah, we cannot dismiss what they've done wrong and praise Israel for doing it.

Finally, I will wholeheartedly not be supporting this amendment and am quite pleased with the original, much saner, version written by Senator Jas.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 04:37:05 PM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Recognizing that the security and stability of the Middle East is threatened by the current conflict between Hezbollah and Israel,

The Atlasian Senate hereby recognizes that:
1. The terrorist group, Hezbollah, is acting without legitimate cause or grievance and is slaughtering innocent Israeli citizens.
2. It is acting with the tacit support of the Syrian and Iranian governments.

Thus the Atlasian Senate hereby:
1. Condemns Hezbollah, Syria and Iran.
2. Condemns Hezbollah for launching rockets from civilian areas, thus making Israel attack civilian areas and causing undue death of Lebanese citizens to protect its own citizens.
3. Gives wholehearted support to the Israeli government in their attacks against Hezbollah and supports its complete destruction.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »

Aye
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 04:49:38 PM »

Aye
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »

Nay
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 05:20:48 PM »

Nope
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 06:55:18 PM »

NAY.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 12:25:23 AM »

nay
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 01:34:14 AM »

Aye. 

Since MasterJedi changed his amendment by striking Clause IV, I don't see this as giving blind support to Israel.  That accusation would be valid had we actually committed to selling weapons to them.  I see this more as an Atlasian denouncement of Hezbollah as a terrorist group, which just happens to be the same position that Israel takes.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 01:38:39 AM »

Aye. 

Since MasterJedi changed his amendment by striking Clause IV, I don't see this as giving blind support to Israel.  That accusation would be valid had we actually committed to selling weapons to them.  I see this more as an Atlasian denouncement of Hezbollah as a terrorist group, which just happens to be the same position that Israel takes.

It does not make any statement that condemns disproportionate Israeli killings of innocents and destruction of infrastructure.  It is blind to the fact that Israel is not always in the right and certainly are not here.  That it why it is one of the most overt cases of blind  Israeli  support.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 01:56:13 AM »

Both sides should be denounced. It's just an endless cylcle of stupidity. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 02:46:26 AM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 07:35:31 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2006, 08:29:40 AM by Jas »

Nay

While the absence of section 4 makes the amendment more palatable, I disagree with section 2. I also feel that Israel has acted recklessly  regarding innocent civilians and UN forces in the region, something which I feel should be recognised.

I would re-iterate that only a political solution can result in a long-term solution to the problem. Heavy handed military force which has a greater effect on the general population than the declared enemy, which is capable of fighting a prolonged and effective (in terms of damge caused) guerrilla conflict will not bring about an end. It will only build and consolidate support against Israel.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 05:27:37 AM »

I'm interested in enquiring just how far the Senators who voted aye on this amendment believe Israel is justified in going in it's attacks.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 09:54:10 AM »

Aye, and while I wish the Israelis would be more careful in how they are going about matters I wholeheartedly support the destruction of Hezbollah - I haven't forgotten what they did back in 1983. Angry The only alternative solution I would back would be the disarmament and relocation of Hezbollah far, far away from Israel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies