Texas Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:05:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is most likely to win this election?
Gov. Rick Perry (R)

Kinky Friedman (I)

Carole Keeton Strayhorn (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Texas Governor  (Read 7638 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:24:48 AM »

Others on the other poll I have chosen not to include here as it is clear to everyone that they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of even coming close to actually becoming Texas Governor. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 10:26:31 AM »

Perry, the others won't drop out and Perry will win with about 45-50% of the vote.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:37:26 AM »

Well, I think that Kinky Freidman would of been a great governor, but TX don't elect independents. He would of been better off running under a political part like Reform or Libertarian he would have had a better chance.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 01:03:34 PM »

Others on the other poll I have chosen not to include here as it is clear to everyone that they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of even coming close to actually becoming Texas Governor. 
Then why the hell did you include Kinky Friedman and Carole Keeton Strayhorn? That makes no sense.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »

Yes it is a bit annoying.  I hardly think Friedman or Strayhorn come close.  On a slightly side topic, is this going to make governing quite hard for Perry in the next four years?  If his public support's ceiling rests about 35%-45% of Texans how can he get support to pass legislation etc?  It could (hopefully) have a negative effect on Republicans.  I know this is getting right off-topic now but why is it Strayhorn could never win against Perry in the Republican primary?  Surely as its an open primary she could have won the votes of Democrats and Independents and some disgruntled Republicans?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 04:44:11 PM »

Yes it is a bit annoying.  I hardly think Friedman or Strayhorn come close.  On a slightly side topic, is this going to make governing quite hard for Perry in the next four years? 

Not really.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Simply because Republicans will control the House and the Senate and the Lt. Governor after the eleciton.  The Lt. Governor and Speaker of the House have most of the power anyways, in terms of introducing and passing legislation, so as long as Perry is in concert with him, everything will work out.  It might affect the TTC, but I doubt it.  Everything else it won't.

Plus, if Strayhorn wasn't in the race, his support would be above 50%.  Mark my words.  Smiley

Except for Presidential primaries, primaries in Texas are low (very low actually) turnout affairs.  The people who show up to vote in the Republican and Democratic primaries are the "hardcore" voters, to put it mildly.  Also, it would convincing a lot of voters that they shouldn't vote in other competitive local races that were occurring (TX-28 comes to mind). 

Perry was doing extremely well among these "hardcores", so the amount of money Strayhorn would have to spend to even try and even things was going to be quite a lot and she decided it wasn't worth the effort.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »

Cute of you to exclude Bell...
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 10:53:46 PM »

Well, none of these candidates really have a chance to win the election except Perry. The only thing notable about this race is that they're four candidates running, but Perry will still win by a comfortable margin, somewhere around 10-20 percentage points.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 10:59:34 PM »

I agree.  I vote Bell.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 11:59:07 PM »

Same here, UNLESS Kinky has a real shot of winning on Election Day and Bell doesn't.  Same doesn't go for Strayhorn though.
P.J. McDuff
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 07:22:37 AM »

Chris Bell, Carole Keeton Strayhorn, and Kinky Friedman all hoover around 20%!!

I say we take them to a surgery room, and combine them all to make a Kinky Carole Bell!!!!!

Dear God, a Jewish Democrat woman Governor of Texas? I'm freaking out! Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 07:29:27 AM »

It's not very cute, it says "Who is most likely to win. That's not Bell, he's the least likely.
P.J. McDuff
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 07:37:15 AM »

It's a shame really, Rick Perry wasn't going to be an easy candidate to beat anyway but at the number of candidates it's even more unlikely he could possibly lose. If only the election was run under proportional representation, Kinky might stand a chance of winning then!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 08:42:25 PM »

Perry
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

It's not very cute, it says "Who is most likely to win. That's not Bell, he's the least likely.
he's about as unlikely as Strayhorn or Kinky.  Frodo was just being an ass by not including Bell.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 04:04:54 AM »

If his public support's ceiling rests about 35%-45% of Texans how can he get support to pass legislation etc?  It could (hopefully) have a negative effect on Republicans.
Simply because Republicans will control the House and the Senate and the Lt. Governor after the eleciton.  The Lt. Governor and Speaker of the House have most of the power anyways, in terms of introducing and passing legislation, so as long as Perry is in concert with him, everything will work out.  It might affect the TTC, but I doubt it.  Everything else it won't.
Another reason is that it is Republicans who are upset at the new taxes, but they had to pass because the old property tax system had been ruled unconstitutional.  TTC will get trimmed back into a set of bypasses for I-35 and maybe a funding mechanism for I-69.

The Democrats don't like Perry because he is not a Republican.

Except for Presidential primaries, primaries in Texas are low (very low actually) turnout affairs.  The people who show up to vote in the Republican and Democratic primaries are the "hardcore" voters, to put it mildly.  Also, it would convincing a lot of voters that they shouldn't vote in other competitive local races that were occurring (TX-28 comes to mind). 
[/quote]
Strayhorn was hoping that KBH would run for governor, letting her run for Senator.  Then she couldn't figure out what she was going to do.  Susan Combs (currently Ag Commissioner) announced for Comptroller, and so Strayhorn decided to run for governor.  Her polling must have shown she had no chance in the primary.  Without Friedman she might have had a chance as an independent.

And the Democrats did have contested races for governor and senator.

And they didn't have anyone else to vote for.
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »

I just saw a Foxnews poll that shows 40% for Perry (R), 20% for Grandma (I), 19% for Kinky (I), and 13% for Bell (D).  With all the talk I had been hearing I expected Perry to be polling much lower.  And Bell is really embarassing the Texas Democrats, he should pull out so the party can use their resources on an election where they might end up with more than 15% of the vote. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 08:26:26 AM »

I just saw a Foxnews poll that shows 40% for Perry (R), 20% for Grandma (I), 19% for Kinky (I), and 13% for Bell (D).  With all the talk I had been hearing I expected Perry to be polling much lower. 
Just shows you can't trust "talk" ... all the polls are like this.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 04:43:52 AM »

Then why the hell did you include Kinky Friedman and Carole Keeton Strayhorn? That makes no sense.

Whereas a poll with only one option makes sense.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 08:01:50 AM »

Whereas a poll with only one option makes sense.
He said he was including only those candidates that had a chance of winning. Of course, as Harry has pointed out as well, he was just being an ass.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »

Even the Democrat nominee last time agrees a consistent, distant last place equals no chance.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 04:39:22 PM »

I just saw a Foxnews poll that shows 40% for Perry (R), 20% for Grandma (I), 19% for Kinky (I), and 13% for Bell (D).  With all the talk I had been hearing I expected Perry to be polling much lower.  And Bell is really embarassing the Texas Democrats, he should pull out so the party can use their resources on an election where they might end up with more than 15% of the vote. 
A pity Captain Vlad left the forum...I would be looking forward to pointing out how Strayhorn was not in last place, and was even beating Friedman. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies