Driver's licenses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:31:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Driver's licenses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who should get driver's licenses?
Anybody who can pass a HARDER test

Anyone who can pass the current test

12 yr old (all other qualifications the same)

13 yr old (all other qualifications the same)

14 yr old (all other qualifications the same)

15 yr old (all other qualifications the same)

Same as current (16)

17 yr old (all other qualifications the same)

18 yr old (all other qualifications the same)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Driver's licenses  (Read 4214 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »

15.  Test every 5 years with EVERYONE

One problem, in MI, drivers testers are required to fail a certain %--so that would inevitably mean failing perfectly fine drivers to fulfill the quota (this HAS happened), or we'd leave it up to the Secretary of Service (GOD HELP US ALL--it takes 5 hrs. just to get a pic. taken to GET your license.)

Is that right?  I always wondered if the DMV inspectors had road test pass/fail quotas.  I guess it varies by state.

The idea of testing people every few years just isn't practical.  I think that maybe people should be retested at a certain age, and at regular intervals after that, plus retesting should be introduced if there is reason to believe that a person's driving sucks, such as a certain number of accidents.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 08:57:26 PM »

15.  Test every 5 years with EVERYONE

One problem, in MI, drivers testers are required to fail a certain %--so that would inevitably mean failing perfectly fine drivers to fulfill the quota (this HAS happened), or we'd leave it up to the Secretary of Service (GOD HELP US ALL--it takes 5 hrs. just to get a pic. taken to GET your license.)

Is that right?  I always wondered if the DMV inspectors had road test pass/fail quotas.  I guess it varies by state.

The idea of testing people every few years just isn't practical.  I think that maybe people should be retested at a certain age, and at regular intervals after that, plus retesting should be introduced if there is reason to believe that a person's driving sucks, such as a certain number of accidents.

Here's an idea.  Test people based on their tickets, etc... another motivation for good driving.  Not only would you have to pay a ticket, get points, but you'd be waiting 5 hrs. at the SOS or DMV, and pay for that test too--but it'd never pass a general election--it'd have to be done by state/fed (too hard to do since some states use DMV and others use SOS) for it to even have a chanc to pass.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 02:19:52 PM »

Why?

Many of you seem to be skirting why if a 14 year old can pass a road test and not get tickets or violate the laws, he shouldn't be allowed to drive solely on one factor (his age).  The factor is meaningless and veery person progresses differently, has different skills, and different maturity.  Just using a number is completely pointless and plainly discrimination.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 02:21:24 PM »

15 for learner's permit, 16 for license with restrictions, and 18 with no restrictions - basically the way Georgia does it.
Thats how it is in Florida and thats the way I think it should be.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 02:24:01 PM »

I'm currently seeking my license.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies