Amtrak Privatization Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:36:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Amtrak Privatization Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Amtrak Privatization Bill  (Read 7928 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2006, 04:56:50 AM »

Why should the federal government be shedding money so that a couple of random farmers could have the option (that they don't particularly need nor want) to take the train into town every blue moon?

Maybe because we should actually try to get more people to use public transport?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Profit is not, and should not, be the only thing that matters as far as public transport, or other public services, go.

Why? Why not try to get more people to use them? Why not actually try to get less people using cars?

If we assume that the rosy picture of privatization being good for the railways is correct, then the Government will end up making an awful loss on them.
And if (as is more likely) they go to a group of asset-strippers, the Government will be buying back something that is in an even worse shape (in just about every way) than it is at the moment.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2006, 06:48:11 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2006, 11:11:40 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

This amendment has passed.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2006, 10:07:50 AM »

Why should the federal government be shedding money so that a couple of random farmers could have the option (that they don't particularly need nor want) to take the train into town every blue moon?

Maybe because we should actually try to get more people to use public transport?

Profit is not, and should not, be the only thing that matters as far as public transport, or other public services, go.

Why? Why not try to get more people to use them? Why not actually try to get less people using cars?

If we assume that the rosy picture of privatization being good for the railways is correct, then the Government will end up making an awful loss on them.
And if (as is more likely) they go to a group of asset-strippers, the Government will be buying back something that is in an even worse shape (in just about every way) than it is at the moment.

Of course we should make public transportation useful.  What do you take me for, a conservative? Wink

But railways shouldn't be the main solution to our woeful public transportation; I think buses, subways, and light rails are better ways to manage our public transportation needs.  The problem with railroads is that they aren't terribly useful in urban and suburban areas, where public transportation is needed most, because of their NIMBY effect (e.g. do you want freight trains going through your backyard?).  The other systems of transport are better at this, I think.  I mean, obviously subways aren't practical for suburban areas, but an integrated system of buses, light rail, and subways might work.

Besides, my amendment allows subsidies to be kept so we can subsidize worthy local initiatives towards using railroads as public transit.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2006, 10:28:51 AM »

FTR, I vote Aye on the Amendment, but I have grave concerns about privatization.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2006, 10:47:16 AM »

Nay.  I don't support any privatization of Amtrak for the reasons I stated in my above post.

Might I urge you to change your vote? This makes it so if it does pass at least not all rail subsidies aren't all gone. I think you'd like that, as well as Earl.

Reading through the bill again (and the recent amendent)... the only people who'll take any interest in buying this will be asset-strippers...

Al's comment sums up my reason for opposing this amendment nicely.  I fear that if Amtrak were simply placed on the chopping block and auctioned off, the only people who would buy it would be corporate raiders who would sell off all the rolling stock and retain only the Northeast Corridor as a passenger rail route.  I will certainly not sit there and watch the our nation's passenger rail system be broken up.  It has more potential than any form of transportation in this country, and the government must have faith in it. 

Yes, this amendment certainly is an improvement to the original bill, but I don't like the idea of handing over exclusive decisions over route authority to one private individual.  Several small towns depend on Amtrak for transportation, you know.  I am hoping my fellow Senators will give Amtrak another chance and vote against this bill.

If rail transport has such a great potential, why does it need government support/ownership/both? methinks if it were really the panacea you suggest, it could atract investment on its own.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2006, 06:51:41 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2006, 06:52:04 AM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2006, 07:13:27 AM »

I would have supported partial privatization, which would have resulted in a public-private partnership but voiced opposition to a full privatization from the outset; therefore, I have no other choice but to vote Nay

'Hawk'
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2006, 10:03:25 AM »

Yup
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2006, 11:55:58 AM »

Nay.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2006, 03:10:37 PM »

Nay.  I don't need to reiterate my reasons for this, as I have made them clear throughout the thread.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2006, 07:25:20 PM »

nay
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2006, 05:26:36 AM »

Nay
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2006, 11:53:16 AM »

Nay
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2006, 12:31:09 PM »

This bill has enough votes to fail. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2006, 12:33:07 PM »

Nay FTR (sorry ILV Sad ).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2006, 01:48:54 PM »

With 2 Ayes, 7 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has failed.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »

I thank my colleagues in the Senate for resisting the urge to privatize Amtrak.  With these votes, we have preserved the existence of intercity passenger rail in Atlasia and prevented it from being dismantled at the hands of corporate interests.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:12 PM »

And we've continued to prop up a failing company and failing industry.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies