'06 Senate preview: Will the Democrats take back the Senate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:01:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  '06 Senate preview: Will the Democrats take back the Senate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will the Democrats take back the Senate  in 2006?
Yes

No

Not in 2006, yes in 2008

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: '06 Senate preview: Will the Democrats take back the Senate?  (Read 2848 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« on: August 07, 2006, 05:48:50 AM »

I voted Yes; I may be being partisanly optimistic but I believe that this election will be a wave election - ala 1974, 1986 and 1994.  The Democrats seem likely to retake the House of Representatives and when that happens it is very rare historically for the Senate not to go the same way. 

I think that the party will retain their own more competetive seats in Minnesota, New Jersey and Washington.  In addition a wave would see us take Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island; these are the top-tier races - I believe that if the election were held today we would win these seats.  That puts us on a 50-50 tie. 

Given that, I think that either Arizona, Nevada, Tennessee or Virginia could potentially put us over the top; all of them are interesting possibilities but at the moment the open seat in Tennessee is undoubtedly the most competetive.  I think Ford is an exciting candidate who is a right fit for the state.  He can raise money, hopefully produce a high turnout amongst African Americans and take on Corker effectively.  Corker is untested and has emerged from a primary battle.  He is a moderate in a conservative-leaning state and in a bad year for his party - I still think Ford has a chance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies