Human Cloning Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:28:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Human Cloning Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Human Cloning Bill  (Read 4223 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2006, 06:34:31 AM »

Human Cloning Bill

Section 1: Federal Funding
1. Any business, institution, or organization run by or funded, either in full or in part, by the federal government of Atlasia, shall not engage in human cloning.
2. Any business, institution, or organization outlined above shown to be in violation of this act shall be liable to a three month suspension of their funding pending further investigation.

Section 2: Prohibition
1. This section shall apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories that do not form part of any region.
2. Human cloning experimentation is hereby prohibited.
3. "Human cloning" is defined as attemps to create a human being through artificial means by experimenting with and attempting to create a clone of a human embryo.
4. Any person who breaks this law will be sentenced to a minimum of five years in prison or a maximum of twenty-five years in prison.  Medical professionals who violate this act shall be liable to a temporary or permanent confiscation of their medical license as found appropriate by the jury.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:41:53 AM »

While I support stem cell research, I agree that the practice of human cloning is on morally shaky ground.  I will support this bill when it comes time to vote.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:21:59 AM »

It seems that this bill's definition of human cloning is strict enough so that it only bans actual human cloning, so I could support this.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 07:49:53 PM »

If I might add in this concern - supposing someone violates this law and successfully clones a human for whatever reason, I would add to this law a provision that ensures such clones are accorded the full rights and privileges of naturally born citizens. It may also be necessary to protect the identity of such people.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 08:13:20 PM »

If I might add in this concern - supposing someone violates this law and successfully clones a human for whatever reason, I would add to this law a provision that ensures such clones are accorded the full rights and privileges of naturally born citizens. It may also be necessary to protect the identity of such people.

How does this sound?

Section 3: Human Clones

1. Should any violation of the terms of this Act, whereby, a human is successfully, yet illegally, cloned, then he shall be granted the full rights and privileges of naturallly born-citizens and he afforded full identity protection

'Hawk'
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 08:15:46 PM »

How does this sound?

1. Should any violation of the terms of this Act, whereby, a human is successfully, yet illegally, cloned, then he shall be granted the full rights and privileges of naturallly born-citizens and he afforded full identity protection

'Hawk'

Sounds good. We might also put in provisions that they be put up for adoption via their state's system if their age is appropriate for it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:32:27 PM »

How does this sound?

'Hawk'

Sounds good. We might also put in provisions that they be put up for adoption via their state's system if their age is appropriate for it.

Will do Smiley. Anything else, while I'm on?

'Hawk'
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:19:32 PM »

How does this sound?

'Hawk'

Will do Smiley. Anything else, while I'm on?

'Hawk'

Nothing else I can think of.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 07:02:07 PM »

In order to address the concerns raised by John Dibble, I, hereby, propose the following amendment:

Section 3: Rights of Human Clones

1. This section shall apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories that do not form part of any region.
2. Should any violation of the terms of this Act, whereby; a human is illegally cloned, then:
i.  He shall be granted the full rights and privileges of a naturally born-citizen.
ii. He shall be, if of an appropriate age (i.e. new-born to 16), eligible for adoption through an appropriate agency funded by the federal government of Atlasia.
iii. He shall be afforded full identity protection and all records strictly classified.
3. Any person who breaches the terms of Clause 2 iii. will be sentenced to a minimum of five years in prison or a maximum of twenty-five years in prison.

It's pretty self-explanatory. Of course, I pray that the terms of Section 3 never have to be put into effect but we must cover for the possibility that a human being might be illegally cloned

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:16:27 AM »

I support Hawk's amendment.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 11:33:42 AM »

I must say that I am deeply opposed to the stopping of science, as it is the only thing that keeps progress from stopping. I am greatly disappointed that one of my senators is already on the nay side, and hope that my other one doesnt follow that path.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 06:46:41 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Section 3: Rights of Human Clones

2. Should any violation of the terms of this Act, whereby; a human is illegally cloned, then:
i.  He shall be granted the full rights and privileges of a naturally born-citizen.
ii. He shall be, if of an appropriate age (i.e. new-born to 16), eligible for adoption through an appropriate agency funded by the federal government of Atlasia.
iii. He shall be afforded full identity protection and all records strictly classified.
3. Any person who breaches the terms of Clause 2 iii. will be sentenced to a minimum of five years in prison or a maximum of twenty-five years in prison.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 06:47:12 AM »

Aye
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 10:02:12 AM »

Yup
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 10:26:36 AM »

Aye.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 10:29:14 AM »

Aye

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 11:12:48 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2006, 12:14:50 PM by Senator jerusalemcar5 »

I believe the penalties are far too strict.

Nay.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 11:45:07 AM »

Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 07:28:25 PM »

aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 08:47:32 AM »

This amendment has passed.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 09:17:45 AM »

Aye, for the record.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 12:33:06 PM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 12:33:26 PM »

Aye
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »