Bush Approvals Back Down to 33%, According to Latest AP-IPSOS Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:21:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush Approvals Back Down to 33%, According to Latest AP-IPSOS Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush Approvals Back Down to 33%, According to Latest AP-IPSOS Poll  (Read 1555 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:29:07 AM »

Poll: Bush may be hurting Republicans

By DONNA CASSATA
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — Republicans determined to win in November are up against a troublesome trend - growing opposition to President Bush.

An Associated Press-Ipsos poll conducted this week found the president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

More sobering for the GOP are the number of voters who backed Bush in 2004 who are ready to vote Democratic in the fall's congressional elections - 19 percent. These one-time Bush voters are more likely to be female, self-described moderates, low- to middle-income and from the Northeast and Midwest.

Two years after giving the Republican president another term, more than half of these voters - 57 percent - disapprove of the job Bush is doing.

"The numbers ... are similar to what I'm hearing out in the streets," said Democrat Ed Perlmutter, a primary winner Tuesday in a competitive House race in Colorado. "I talked to so many people and they've had enough and want to see a change."

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »

Joy! Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 12:31:50 PM »

Gas is up, the Middle East is now even a bigger mess, and now the Brits just showed us that terrorism is still a big threat, and yes, police work is the right way to handle it. No suprise.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »

Gas is up, the Middle East is now even a bigger mess, and now the Brits just showed us that terrorism is still a big threat, and yes, police work is the right way to handle it. No suprise.

Strangely enough, gas has dropped 12 cents in my area over the past week, especially with the BP mess in Alaska.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 11:07:08 PM »

Strangely enough, gas has dropped 12 cents in my area over the past week, especially with the BP mess in Alaska.

I guess that goes to show that supply is not the critical issue when it comes to gas prices; demand is much more important.

Obviously it doesn't prove that in and of itself, but it can be seen as evidence to that effect.
Rococo4

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

gas has come down here about 20 cents this week as well
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 02:04:47 PM »

Since people see to be obsessed with opinion polls:

Rasmussen:  Bush at 41%
Newsweek:  Bush at 38%
Opinion Dynamics:  Bush at 36%
AP-Ipsos:  Bush at 33%
ABC News:  Bush at 40%
CNN:  Bush at 40%
LA Times:  Bush at 40%
Gallup:  Bush at 40%

Take your pick.  Seems Frodo chose the bottom outliner.  Tongue
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 09:07:46 AM »

True, but the rest of those aren't exactly anything to get excited about either. They are still at or below Clinton's numbers in 1994.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 09:18:57 AM »

True, but the rest of those aren't exactly anything to get excited about either. They are still at or below Clinton's numbers in 1994.

Which is why I don't follow popularity polls and get a chuckle out of people who seem to be obsessed over them. 
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 10:21:47 AM »

Uhh, no. (wtf)  I just went to pollingreport and those numbers are wrong.  Latest Gallup is 37% App.  The CNN and the ABC polls we're taken over a week ago.

Plus you convienently "forgot" that CBS and FOX News just released polls, app. at 36% is both.

And Rasmussen has always been an outlier with Bush opinion polls.   I don't think they've even once had him in the 30's.  It's rather useless for that purpose, therefore.

Nice job being a partisan hack.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 10:35:57 AM »

OMG . . . the world is coming to an end!!!  Roll Eyes  If you happened to notice, I took the polls which were out at the time Frodo posted the link.  DUH.  Feel free to check them out yourself:

"Real Clear Politics Presidential Poll tracking page"

As you will see, Fox uses opinion dynamics for their polling (which is represented on the list), and CBS's poll came out after I posted the list yesterday.  Feel free to grow up any time you'd like.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »

Uhh, no. (wtf)  I just went to pollingreport and those numbers are wrong.  Latest Gallup is 37% App.  The CNN and the ABC polls we're taken over a week ago.

Plus you convienently "forgot" that CBS and FOX News just released polls, app. at 36% is both.

And Rasmussen has always been an outlier with Bush opinion polls.   I don't think they've even once had him in the 30's.  It's rather useless for that purpose, therefore.

Nice job being a partisan hack.

ISPOS is a Canadian firm that used to be quite good, but as an unstated part of their contract with AP, they have consistently posted results significantly to the left of other polling organizations.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »

It's about 37% right now.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 05:25:35 PM »

Not how close Reagan and Clinton are, two midterm dips and ending their terms on a high. Nixon also follows the patern until Watergate brings him down.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 07:29:24 PM »

Taking a mean average, Bush is hoverring around 38.5%. Of course, I haven't allowed for any sample variation

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 07:36:36 PM »

Current averages from RCP: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/archive/?poll_id=19

Bush: Approval 36.8% / Disapproval 58.0% -  a net negative rating of 21.2%

Dave

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 11:51:38 PM »

Which is why I don't follow popularity polls and get a chuckle out of people who seem to be obsessed over them. 

Well they are quite useful for determining what is likely to happen in the next election. I agree that we shouldn't base our opinions of others on their popularity, but the reason most people on this board are "obsessed" with them is that we are highly interested in predicting and trying to figure out what's going to happen in November.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 11:59:29 PM »

Well they are quite useful for determining what is likely to happen in the next election.

To a limited degree.  Many approval polls are all adults.  Indeed, some polls that filter RV or LV will still give all adults for the approval rate of the President to get a bigger sample.

All adult polls are a bad way to judge the public's opinion of the President.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 12:03:40 AM »

Well they are quite useful for determining what is likely to happen in the next election.

To a limited degree.  Many approval polls are all adults.  Indeed, some polls that filter RV or LV will still give all adults for the approval rate of the President to get a bigger sample.

I disagree.  They are a good way to judge the public's opinion of the President.  They are a bad way to judge the voter's opinion of the President.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 12:15:02 AM »

I disagree.  They are a good way to judge the public's opinion of the President.  They are a bad way to judge the voter's opinion of the President.

True. And yes, obsessing over inaccurate polls is obviously not a good idea, we should all look at the internals discerningly as well as the reputation of the firm.

But my main point was that the President's job approval rating seems to be very highly tied to his party's performance in midterm elections in the last few cycles. So those arguing these polls are irrelevant are in denial about recent history in my opinion, unless they can come up with solid reasons why this election is different than other recent ones in that regard.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 12:42:45 AM »

Poll: Bush may be hurting Republicans

By DONNA CASSATA
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — Republicans determined to win in November are up against a troublesome trend - growing opposition to President Bush.

An Associated Press-Ipsos poll conducted this week found the president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

More sobering for the GOP are the number of voters who backed Bush in 2004 who are ready to vote Democratic in the fall's congressional elections - 19 percent. These one-time Bush voters are more likely to be female, self-described moderates, low- to middle-income and from the Northeast and Midwest.

Two years after giving the Republican president another term, more than half of these voters - 57 percent - disapprove of the job Bush is doing.

"The numbers ... are similar to what I'm hearing out in the streets," said Democrat Ed Perlmutter, a primary winner Tuesday in a competitive House race in Colorado. "I talked to so many people and they've had enough and want to see a change."

Waste of an article by the AP--EVERYBODY ALREADY KNEW THIS!  It's called straight party voting--which is LAZY! and dumb--but whatever.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies