1964 Revisited
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:50:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1964 Revisited
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1964 Revisited  (Read 2061 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:41:21 PM »

November 22, 1963.

President John F Kennedy visits Dallas on a political fence mending tour, and to raise funds for the Democratic campaign.  He is greeted by Vice President Lyndon B Johnson.  The President, the Vice President, their wives, and Texas Governor John Connally and Mrs. Connally, set out in the motorcade to greet the enthusiastic, waiting crowds.

The day is bright and sunny.  The crowds are excited to see the President.  Then, shots ring out.  It appears as though the President has been hit.  Security is all over the President's and the Vice President's vehicles.  The motorcade speeds away.  The crowds are in a state of shock and disbelief.

The vehicles speed toward Parkland Hospital.  As it turns out, not only the President, but the Governor has been hit as well.  The President and the Governor are rushed into emergency. 

To the relief of all, a hospital report is issued within fifteen minutes, confirming that the President has been hit, however, he sustained only a flesh wound to the upper right arm, and would soon make a full recovery.  The Governor had sustained more serious wounds, but would as well make a full recovery.

The 1964 campaign season was off to an unexpected and near tragic start.

It is well known that Kennedy and Johnson are not particularly fond of one another, and some Deomcratic leaders and politicians have been speculating whether or not Kennedy would keep Johnson on the 1964 ticket.

March 9, 1964, the President meets with his brother Robert, the Attorney General, over the matter of the Vice Presidency.  Bobby especially does not care for LBJ, and urges his brother to drop him from the ticket.  JFK sees good reasons for taking this step, but is reluctant to dump LBJ, worrying it may send the wrong message to the public. 

"Jack," says Bobby, "look at it this way.  You're in a good position now for re-election.  You don't want to spend the next four years having to deal with a Vice President with whom you're not comfortable with, one with whom you have personality and policy conflicts with.  In your second term, you will want to complete some major initiatives for this nation.  I believe having a Vice President who you can easily work with and who shares your same hopes and philosophy will make your second term all that much more meaningful and successful."

"Bobby," says the President, "you make some good points.  I 've had those same views on this issue myself.  If I'm going to do it, I will want to do it soon.  Johnson may be willing to serve in some other capacity in the administration." 

One week later, March 16, the President meets with Vice President Johnson in the Oval Office to discuss the 1964 election and the matter of the Vice Presidency.  "Lyndon," begins the President, "thank you for coming.  I have given this matter serious thought, and as difficult as this is for me, I have decided that I will be having a new running mate for the 1964 election.  Therefore, I will be asking you to step down as the Vice Presidential candidate.  For my second term, I would like to have you continue to serve this nation and to accept the position of Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare."

Johnson does not take this well.  "Jack," says LBJ, "that upstart brother of yours, Bobby, is behind this.  Ah know it.  It's because of me that you're sittin' in the Oval Office today.  My presence on the ticket in 1960 put you over the top in several states, making you President.  Ah gave up the position of Senate Majority Leader, a job I loved and where I was able to make a contribution to this country, to take this useless and thankless job.  If you think I'm gonna  take this layin' down, Jack, you and that ivy league brother of yours have another thing comin'.  I'll bring you down, Jack, you and that no good brother of yours, I swear, if it's the last thing Ah do, I'll bring you down."

LBJ storms out of the Oval Office, slamming the door behind him.

Later that day, Bobby meets with JFK in the President's office.  "Didn't go too well," says Bobby.  "That's an understatement," replies JFK.  "Well," says the President, "I can't turn back now.  The ball is rolling."

"Bobby," says JFK, "I want you to talk with Senator Symington in my behalf, and get his views on how he would feel about coming on the ticket as Vice President."  "Sure," says Bobby.  "We should have gotten him in 1960 to start with.  We wouldn't be having to go through this now."

March 23, Bobby Kennedy meets in his office with highly regarded and respected Missouri Senator Stuart Symington.  "Thank you for coming on short notice, Senator," says Bobby.  "No problem at all," replies Symington.  "Always happy to meet with you." 

"Senator," says Bobby, "and this is of course strictly confidential, you have probably heard some rumors floating around that Jack may be getting a new running mate for this election."  "I have heard rumors to that effect," says the Senator.  "I am authorized by the President," continues Bobby, "to discuss with you about how you would feel if you were asked to be Jack's running mate this election."

"Bobby, if asked, I would willingly accept, and would be honored to serve this administration and this nation in that capacity." replies Symington.

"In that case," says Bobby, "welcome aboard."

With that, the meeting between Bobby Kennedy and Stuart Symington comes to an end, and Bobby reports the substance of the meeting to JFK.

"Good," says the President.  "Now, to be clear, does the Senator understand we are merely soliciting his views about being on the ticket, not necessarily being asked to become my running mate?"  "That is correct." replies Bobby.             

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »

By March 30, rumors are running rampant around Washington DC, and  across the country, that Vice President Lyndon Johnson was going to be dropped, some used the term "dumped", from the Democratic ticket, and that he would be replaced by Missouri Senator Stuart Symington.

The President meets with his brother Bobby.  "Bobby," says the President, these rumors about Johnson and Symington are very distressing.  Frankly, I have not yet fully decided who I am going to put on the ticket.  Yes, Stu would make a fine and capable Vice President, no doubt about that, but, just between you and I, I have someone else in mind.  I am going to think about it for another day, however.  Does Stu believe he has the job?" 

"Jack," replies Bobby, "he may have misinterpreted the conversation I had with him about the Vice Presidency.  I did use the term "welcome aboard," meaning "welcome aboard" to being considered as a potential Vice Presidential candidate."

"Oh, I see," says JFK.         

The President is most concerned and distressed.

March 31, after another day of thinking about the Vice Presidential nomination, President Kennedy meets with Senator Symington, to set the record straight.

"Senator," says the President, "first of all, let me say, in my view, you would be a top notch Vice President, and could as well take over the Presidency admirably if required."  "Thank you, Mr. President," replies Symington. 

JFK continues, "Stu, I fear there may have been some misunderstanding between yourself and Bobby regarding the Vice Presidential nomination.  Bobby was getting your views on how you would feel about coming onto the ticket as the Vice Presidential nominee.  Now, I understand the confusion, however, the Vice Presidency was not actually offered.  I had my choice narrowed down to you and to one other individual.  I have decided on the other person.  I hope you understand, Stu, and I am very, very sorry for the misunderstanding."

"I understand, Mr. President," says the Senator.  "You have to do what you believe in your heart is right."

"Thank you so much, Stu, for your understanding.  I do appreciate it greatly," says JFK.

With that, the President and the Senator wish one another all the best.

The 63 year old Symington is, however, deeply disappointed, and feels a sense of almost betrayal.  He was looking forward to spending the next 4 years as Vice President of the United States, as a great way to cap his political and public career, and as a way to render continued service to the nation.           
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:26:01 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2006, 08:28:51 PM by Michael Z »

More! This is good.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:52:12 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2006, 10:41:55 AM by Winfield »

April 7, 1964, President Kennedy decides to address the Vice Presidential issue head on, as rumors, speculation, and political pronouncements have been building steadily for almost a month.  He feels he must set the record straight, and put an end to the rampant frenzy the media has been having with this issue, and announce the name of his Vice Presidential choice.

The President holds a press conference, and catches everyone, party leaders, legislators, White House staff, cabinet secretaries, even Presidential advisors, completely off guard with his announcement.  In fact, the only one who knew the substance of the President's remarks is the subject of his remarks and their spouse.  The President kept this a very closely guarded secret, in order to prevent any further speculation from arising.

The President goes on to make a stunning announcement of his Vice Presidential pick, not the fact the announcement was made, as everyone knew this press conference was to announce a Vice Presidential candidate, but the surprise was in who the President picked.  No one had ever mentioned this individual as a likely or possible candidate, and everyone was caught off guard.   

"Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow Americans," says the President, "as you know, speculation has been running rampant for some weeks now regarding who will be the Democratic Vice Presidential nominee for 1964.  Vice President Johnson, who has served his country with exemplary and dedicated service for the past 27 years, as a hard working member of the House of Representatives, as an outstanding Senator, and most recently as an able Vice President, will be stepping down from the ticket, and will not be the Democratic Vice Presidential nominee for the 1964 election."

"I am pleased to announce today the Democratic Vice Presidential nominee will be Agriculture Secretary Orville Freeman.  Orville, Jane, come on out and join me on the stage."  Freeman and his wife come out from a room behind the press conference area and join the President on the stage.

The President continues his remarks, the Agriculture Secretary on his right, and Freeman's wife on his left.  "Mr. Freeman brings with him an outstanding record of accomplishment, leadership, competence, and public service.  Before accepting the position of Secretary of Agriculture in 1961, and may I say he has been a phenomenal Secretary of Agriculture during this term, Mr. Freeman served as Governor of Minnesota from 1955 to 1961.  As Governor, he demonstrated his outstanding executive and leadership capabilities, and rendered invaluable service to the people of Mnnesota."   

Secretary Freeman takes the podium.  "Thank you, Mr. President, for the deep privilege you have bestowed upon me, in asking me to join the ticket as the Vice Presidential nominee.  Let me assure you, and the nation, that I shall do everything in my power and within my capabilities to honor this commitment, and to work to my utmost to earn the trust and confidence of American's everywhere." 

As stunning as President Kennedy's announcement of April 7 was, one week later, April 14, at the Lyndon B Johnson ranch along the Pedernales River in Texas Hill Country, Vice President Johnson holds a nationally covered press conference, and has a shocking announcement of his own.

The Vice President, with Lady Bird by his side, begins, "Ladies and gentlemen, friends, mah fella Americans, thank yew for bein' here today.  As ya all know, President Kennedy and Ah have had a partin' of the ways.  The President saw fit to drop me from the 1964 Democratic ticket as the Vice Presidential candidate.  This decision, of course, is the prerogative of the Presidential nominee.  President Kennedy believed this was the right thing to do.  I respectfully disagree.  Nonetheless, I wish President and Mrs. Kennedy well."

"Friends, mah fella Americans, I have a record of some 27 years of dedicated service to this country.  It is mah desire to continue to serve this great nation of ours.  Ah am therefore announcin' today, that I will be a candidate for President of the United States as an Independent Democrat.  I look forward to the campaign.  The American people can judge me on my record."

The Vice President continues, "At this time, it is my honor and privilege to introduce to you and to this nation, mah runnin' mate and mah choice for Vice President of the United States, the distinguished Senator from Missouri, Stuart Symington.  Come on out here, Stuart.  And bring your lovely wife with ya."

Senator and Mrs. Symington come out from the ranch house and join the Vice President and Lady Bird on stage. 

Johnson continues, "Stuart has an exemplary record of public service and leadership.  He served as the nation's first Secretary of the Air Force from 1947 to 1950, and has been a United States Senator since 1953.  Ah have known Senator Symington throughout his years of public service, and ah can attest to his hard work, dedication, and outstanding capabilities as a public servant.  America can attest to that."   

Senator Symington takes the podium.  "Mr. Vice President, Mrs. Johnson, friends, my fellow Americans, I am honored to be asked by Lyndon to be by his side for this campaign, in the capacity of candidate for Vice President of the United States.  Having known Lyndon these past 17 years, I can tell you America would be well served having him as President.  My friends, my fellow Americans, let the campaign begin."
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 12:46:55 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2006, 02:04:50 PM by Winfield »

To recap

President John F Kennedy has opted to replace Vice President Lyndon B Johnson on the 1964 Democratic ticket with the youthful Secretary of Agriculture and former Minnesota Governor Orville Freeman.

Vice President Johnson makes the decision to run for President as an Independent Democrat, and persuades respected Missouri Senator Stuart Symington to join him on the ticket as the Vice Presidential nominee.

Much of the media attention has been spent on the disruptive situation over the Vice Presidential matter in the Democratic Party, however, the focus now shifts to the battle for the Republican Presidential nomination.

Contenders on the Republican side have been battling it out since the fall of 1963. 

Former Vice President Richard Nixon, the Republican Presidential nominee in 1960, defeated ever so narrowly by President John Kennedy in that election, opts to stay out of the 1964 race for the Republican nomination, having suffered a convincing defeat in his bid to become Governor of California in 1962.  Nixon lost the gubernatorial race by a decisive margin to incumbent Democratic Governor Pat Brown.   

The list of candidates for the Republican nomination for 1964 is long.  Many were never known and have long since been forgotten.  Frank R. Beckwith,  John W. Byrnes, Robert E. Ennis, Joseph G. Ettl, John W. Steffey, fall into this category.   

Well known names nominated either before or during the convention, but never considered as serious contenders, are Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine, Governor James Rhodes of Ohio, and perennial candidate Harold Stassen, a former Governor of Minnesota.  Their campaigns never really get off the ground.

The serious candidates for nomination are Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York, Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona, Governor William Scranton of Pennsylvania, and Henry Cabot Lodge, the Republican Vice Presidential nominee in 1960, former Massachusetts Senator, former U.S. representative to the U.N., and currently U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam.

Governor William Scranton does not actively seek the nomination in the beginning, however, a "Draft Scranton" movement gains momentum in the party, by those hoping to have a moderate alternative to the conservative Goldwater.  Scranton does not officially enter the race until June 12, and is successful in winning the support of 10 state delegations.  The Scranton campaign fades from there. 

Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge is off to a good start in the race for the nomination, winning a surprise victory in the New Hampshire primary as a write-in candidate over declared candidates Nelson Rockefeller and Barry Goldwater.  After that high point, the Lodge campaign sputters to a standstill.

That leaves Governor Rockefeller and Senator Goldwater to battle it out for the hearts and minds of Republicans across the nation.

Rockefeller barnstorms for support throughout the northeast, through New York, Pennsylvania, New England, into Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, up into Michigan and Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.  He campaigns heavily on the west coast, Washington, Oregon, California, in an effort to bring as many delegates as possible to his cause.

Goldwater meanwhile is campaigning heavily in the south, plains, and western states, areas where he enjoys popular support.  He as well spends significant time in California.

The Rockefeller/Goldwater battle for the nomination goes right to the convention, with no clear winner declared by that time.

The Republican National Convention is at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, July 13 to 16, 1964.

First Ballot Results
Goldwater-623, Rockefeller-330, Scranton-204, Lodge-136, Rhodes-21, Smith-12, Stassen-7, Total-1333.

The moderate wing of the party knows it has to act now or never to stop Goldwater from winning control of the party, and lead them to what they believe would be a disastrous election with Goldwater as the nominee.

A pre-arranged plan, worked out in advance for just such a case, is put into immediate action.  If Goldwater fails to win the nomination on the first ballot, the plan calls for all the other candidates to throw their support to the candidate closest to Goldwater, in this case, Rockefeller.

Immediately after the first ballot, Governor Scranton, Ambassador Lodge, Governor Rhodes, Senator Smith, and former Governor Stassen, all throw their support to Governor Rockefeller.

Second Ballot Results
Rockefeller-672, Goldwater-661, Total-1333.

Governor Nelson Rockefeller succeeds in winning the Republican Presidential nomination, albeit by the narrowest of margins.

Republican Presidential nominee Rockefeller invites all candidates to the stage, and makes a point to have Senator Goldwater beside him as he makes his acceptance speech, in an attempt to show and foster party unity.

Goldwater takes the podium, and announces his support for Rockefeller, and makes a motion to the convention that the nomination of Nelson Rockefeller be made unanimous.  The motion carries.

"My friends, delegates, my fellow Americans," says Rockefeller, "I accept this nomination.  This has been, clearly, a tough and eventful campaign for our party.  Thank you all candidates, and thank you Senator Goldwater for that unselfish show of unity.  Let us move forward from this point on, united and strong, let us move on in our objectives to bring our message of hope and progress to America.  I won't let you down, and I won't let America down."

Now that he is the nominee, Rockefeller announces the name of the individual he has selected to be his running mate, his choice for the Vice Presidential nomination.

Rockefeller surprises the convention and the nation with his choice.  "Ladies and gentlmen, my fellow Americans," says Rockefeller, "I am pleased to announce my choice for Vice President, Senator Thurston B Morton of Kentucky."

The nomination is voted on, and wins almost unanimous approval from the convention.

"Thank you, thank you," says Morton.  "Delegates, friends, my fellow Americans, I accept this nomination.  I am honored to stand with Nelson Rockefeller, in the coming campaign, to move our nation forward."   

Thurston B Morton, member of the U.S. House of Representatives 1947 to 1953, United States Senator from Kentucky since 1957, Chairman of the Republican National Committee 1959-1961.

Morton is an "Eisenhower Republican," not as liberal as Rockefeller, from the south, and is a strong civil rights supporter.  Rockefeller would not contemplate having someone on the ticket who is not a strong supporter of civil rights.  This is one issue on which Rockefeller will not compromise.

The work of healing the rifts in the Republican Party now begins.

The Democrats nominate John F Kennedy for President and Orville Freeman for Vice President, unanimously, at the Democratic National Convention, August 24 to 27, in Atlantic City.

The Independent Democratic Party ticket of Vice President Lyndon B Johnson and Senator Stuart Symington is in place.

The campaign now begins in earnest for the hearts and minds of Americans.   
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 01:12:49 PM »

Are you setting this up to be a four way race, Winfield? You currently have three pro-civil rights tickets vying for the Presidency. In a scenario like this, a Dixiecrat or an American Independent-like ticket would almost certainly spring up...

Anyways, very interesting scenario. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2006, 03:32:35 PM by Winfield »

After one of the most bruising and acrimonious campaigns in history, the nation elects Nelson A Rockefeller as the 36th President of the United States of America.

Rockefeller succeeds in winning his home state of New York by a narrow margin, which proves to be absolutely crucial to his win, while at the same time pulling in upper New England, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan by narrow margins.  Indiana holds firm to it's Republican roots. 

Republican Vice Presidential nominee Thurston Morton is instrumental in pulling in his home state of Kentucky and neighboring Tennessee into the GOP column.  Again, these two states were crucial to the GOP win.  Rockefeller's choice of Morton for Vice President paid off for the ticket in the electoral college, as these two states, Kentucky and Tennessee, swung to the GOP because of Morton's presence on the ticket.

The Republican ticket succeeds in only two deep south states, Georgia and Florida, by narrow margins.

Plains, mountain and western states stay true to their Republican voting traditions.  They win the traditional Republican plains and mountain states and Alaska, and Rockefeller's appeal proves to be successful in Oregon and Washington.

Kennedy carries his home base of lower New England by a comfortable margin, and brings in, predictably, DC, overwhelmingly, as well as West Virginia, Virginia, North and South Carolina, comfortably, and carries two deep south states, Mississipi and Alabama, and adds Oklahoma, by narrow margins.     

Running mate Freeman helps the ticket in the upper midwest, carrying his home state of Minnesota with a solid win, and bringing in Wisconsin by a comfortable margin, as well as Iowa, and the large state of Illinois, by  small margins.

The Democrats succeed in winning Nevada and the crucial state of California by narrow margins, and take Hawaii comfortably.

The Independent Democratic ticket of Vice President Johnson and Senator Symington make an astonishing showing, carrying Johnson's home state of Texas, as well as New Mexico, Louisiana, and Arkansas by narrow margins, and taking Symington's home state of Missouri with a comfortable win.

There is no doubt that Rockefeller and the Republicans took advantage of the split in the Democratic Party, and that the three way vote split worked to Rockefeller's advantage in many states. 

Vice President Lyndon B Johnson's words to President John F Kennedy during their stormy meeting in the Oval Office on March 16, 1964, rang through John F Kennedy's ears as he conceded the election to President Elect Nelson A Rockefeller, "I'll bring you down, Jack, I swear, if it's the last thing I do, I'll bring you down."         

Rockefeller/Morton          273 EV   40% PV
Kennedy/Freeman          208 EV    39% PV
Johnson/Symington          57 EV    21% PV

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 09:22:20 PM »

I assure you Iowa was much more Republican of a state than Pennsylvania.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 09:44:50 PM »

I assure you Iowa was much more Republican of a state than Pennsylvania.

Maybe so, but the Rockefeller brand of Republicanism went over well in Pennsylvania in this election, and besides, the combination of tickets and the three way vote split caused some out of the ordinary results.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »

rockefeller/morton: 42%, 255 EVs
kennedy/freeman: 40%, 203EVs
johnson/symington: 18%, 80 EVs
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 10:58:54 AM »

To add a new twist to this scenario, I would be interested in how others would see this race turning out if there was a fourth ticket added to the mix, which is an anti civil rights, pro segregation ticket.

This ticket runs under the banner of the American Independent Party.

Presidential candidate is Orval Faubus, who has been Governor of Arkansas since 1955.

Vice Presidential candidate is Herman Talmadge, who was Governor of Georgia 1948 to 1955, and has been U.S. Senator from Georgia since 1957.

So the tickets are

Democrat
President John F Kennedy (MA)
Agriculture Secretary, and former Minnesota Governor Orville Freeman (MN)

Republican
Governor Nelson A Rockefeller (NY)
Senator Thurston B Morton (KY)

Independent Democrat
Vice President Lyndon B Johnson (TX)
Senator Stuart Symington (MO)

American Independent
Governor Orval Faubus (AR)
Senator Herman Talmadge (GA)

How does this election turn out?
Maps would be welcome.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »

This is a good'n.

Both Johnson and Faubus will be in green.

I'll indicate by shade. Johnson = dark Faubus = light

Kennedy/Freeman - 257 -
Rockefeller/Morton - 180 -
Johnson/Symmington - 53 -
Faubus/Talmadge - 47 -
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies