bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:23:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: bizarre George Allen "macaca" incident  (Read 8551 times)
Deano963

« on: August 14, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »

He said Allen's comment welcoming Sidarth "to America" was not an insult. "Welcome to the real world. Welcome to Virginia. That's all that was," Wadhams said.

Sooooooo, let me get this straight......

George Felix Allen, who was born and raised in California (and who probably has spent a lot more time around Hollywood than this kid Sidarth ever has)......tells this young man who was born and raised in Fairfax, Virginia "welcome to Virginia, welcome to the real world" simply because he is of Indian decent and therefore assumes he is not a Virginian?

Where does Felix think Sidarth was living before he saw him at his cute little KKK rally that day, the ing moon?
Deano963

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 09:29:42 PM »

Jim Webb liveblogging on DailyKos tonight:

George's Macaca comments (72+ / 0-)

George was talking to a group of supporters in far Southwest Virginia when he made the comment to one of my campaign volunteers.  He also went into his usual banter about my being an inside-the-beltway guy who would never come down to SW Virginia, and that I was spending my time hanging out with a bunch of Hollywood liberals.  Stale stuff...

Actually, I make no apology for having done some business in the film world (I guess in his eyes that makes Ronald Reagan a Hollywood liberal).  And in truth, my dad's family came out of SW Virginia, and I still have many relatives living there.  I was going down to visit folks in SW Virginia when George Allen was still a Californian...

Re: his slur of my campaign volunteer, Mr. Allen will have to decide for himself what the proper course of action should be.

Me and California (34+ / 0-)

One of the principal strategies of the Allen campaign is to imply that I'm not "one of the folks" in VA, that I have lived in a world of "fiction, not fact," which is one of the things that Allen said before he insulted my campaign volunteer. 

I find this highly amusing, actually.  I'm portrayed as a "rich Hollywood producer," which causes rich Hollywood producers to have a good laugh.  I've worked for everything I've ever gotten in my life -- I began working when I was 12 years old, got scholarships to college, went to law school in the GI Bill, got a $5,000 advance on my first book, etc.  I have had the chance to work on films -- which half of the people in this country would love to have -- and I've had a ball doing it. 

But I've also spent a year in heavy combat, gone around the world as a journalist, including covering the Marines in Beirut and the war in Afghanistan, known what it's like to be unemployed, constantly taken risks in order to work on the things that inspired me.  I know the real world, George.  Holding political office for 25 years is not the real world.  In fact (having worked on Capitol Hill for four years), there are more fairy tales going on in Washington than there are in Hollywood.
Deano963

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 04:29:45 PM »

Yeah, Kos is definately an accurate source. lol

Actually, it is. Certain members have campaign sources (this particular heads-up was from a Webb staffer), and Kos accurately reported a number of Connecticut polls before they were released to the public.

It's no more of an accurate source than the Atlas is when it comes to "insider" information.  Sorry.

Um, sorry, but yes it is. As Rob has already pointed out, Kos regularly (I can't even count how many times I've seen this happen) posts the results of new polls before they are even up on the pollsters' own websites. Many staffers will tip the site off to their own internal polls before they are released and the major nonpartisan polls also do the same. It's a fact.
Deano963

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:04:19 PM »

I'm sure people in such deep denial are not their target audience.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies