Changing constituency Names
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:55:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Changing constituency Names
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Changing constituency Names  (Read 1531 times)
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:50:52 PM »

I really hate some constituency names.

Here are my suggestions, the proper names are in brackets.

Kendal (Westmorland & Lonsdale)
Accrington (Hyndburn)
Ormskirk (West Lancs)
Northwich (Weaver Vale)
Oswestry (Shropshire North)
Llangollen (Clwyd South)
Colwyn Bay (Clwyd West)

More to follow
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »

Hamm-on-Rye?
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:58:30 AM »

I quite like the names proposed for the new set of constituencies as a whole, but would like the following amended (as they make no sense at all):

Garston and Halewood (Where?)
Hereford and South Herefordshire (What's wrong with just plain old South Herefordshire?)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:00:07 AM »

Both are Liverpool suburbs.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:14:38 AM »

Hereford and South Herefordshire (What's wrong with just plain old South Herefordshire?)

What's wrong with just plain old Hereford?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 07:42:25 AM »

Some random suggestions...

Shropshire

North Shropshire: historically this was called Oswestry and Oswestry is, just about, big enough to get away with it (especially if we go with Oswestry the Borough, rather than Oswestry proper). An alternative name would be Oswestry & North Shropshire. A bit of a mouthful, but better than the current name.

Shrewsbury & Atcham: just drop the "Atcham"; Atcham RDC was abolished decades ago... some ex-Atcham RDC wards should be removed from the seat as well, but that's a different issue.

The Wrekin: is an absurd name; more people in the Telford constituency live on the slopes of the The Wrekin than do people in this seat (which just contains the top of the hill). You also have the confusion between this seat and the old (and very different) Wrekin constituency. Wellington & Newport would do as a name. An alternative would be to call it Wrekin North.

Telford: is fine as a name; doesn't contain all of Telford, but that's nay the point. Wrekin South would also do if The Wrekin is to be called Wrekin North. O/c you could always go with something like "Wrekin South & The Gorge"...

Ludlow: is a nice name, but it's not a big town and there is at least one other important population centre in the constituency (Bridgnorth). Ludlow & Bridgnorth would do as a name, but if it must be kept for historical reasons, then a cunning re-naming of South Shropshire DC to Ludlow DC would be one way round it.

O/c as a resident (I think) of the former Parliamentary Borough of Great Wenlock, I'm tempted to argue that Telford could be called "Wenlock North" and Ludlow "Ludlow & Wenlock South" but that would just confuse the hell out of everyone Wink

Herefordshire

Leominster: "North Herefordshire" is ugly and innacurate. Why not go with a combination of towns in the area? Leominster & Kington would be the most logical, but you could always try Leominster & Ledbury (or go all Canadian and go for something like "Leominster-Kington-Ledbury). Hey, maybe even Leominster & Malverns West would do...

Hereford: is fine enough as it is. The only acceptible alternatives (to me at least) are Hereford & Ross, or Hereford & Wye Valley... but Hereford on it's own is more than fine.

More soon,.
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 05:28:02 AM »

Some random suggestions...

Shropshire

North Shropshire: historically this was called Oswestry and Oswestry is, just about, big enough to get away with it (especially if we go with Oswestry the Borough, rather than Oswestry proper). An alternative name would be Oswestry & North Shropshire. A bit of a mouthful, but better than the current name.

Oswestry &  Drayton would be good.

Shrewsbury & Atcham: just drop the "Atcham"; Atcham RDC was abolished decades ago... some ex-Atcham RDC wards should be removed from the seat as well, but that's a different issue.

Shrewsbury would be good.

The Wrekin: is an absurd name; more people in the Telford constituency live on the slopes of the The Wrekin than do people in this seat (which just contains the top of the hill). You also have the confusion between this seat and the old (and very different) Wrekin constituency. Wellington & Newport would do as a name. An alternative would be to call it Wrekin North.

Shropshire East, Or Wellington & Newport would be good.

Telford: is fine as a name; doesn't contain all of Telford, but that's nay the point. Wrekin South would also do if The Wrekin is to be called Wrekin North. O/c you could always go with something like "Wrekin South & The Gorge"...

When it s big enough. Telford North & South would be good ideas.

Ludlow: is a nice name, but it's not a big town and there is at least one other important population centre in the constituency (Bridgnorth). Ludlow & Bridgnorth would do as a name, but if it must be kept for historical reasons, then a cunning re-naming of South Shropshire DC to Ludlow DC would be one way round it.

Ludlow and Bridgnorth would be good.

O/c as a resident (I think) of the former Parliamentary Borough of Great Wenlock, I'm tempted to argue that Telford could be called "Wenlock North" and Ludlow "Ludlow & Wenlock South" but that would just confuse the hell out of everyone Wink

Ididnt know that.
Herefordshire

Leominster: "North Herefordshire" is ugly and innacurate. Why not go with a combination of towns in the area? Leominster & Kington would be the most logical, but you could always try Leominster & Ledbury (or go all Canadian and go for something like "Leominster-Kington-Ledbury). Hey, maybe even Leominster & Malverns West would do...

Hereford: is fine enough as it is. The only acceptible alternatives (to me at least) are Hereford & Ross, or Hereford & Wye Valley... but Hereford on it's own is more than fine.

More soon,.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2006, 05:40:26 PM by Senator EarlAW »

Can this be for Canadian districts too?

Basically, I hate any district that uses a name for a person (only found in Quebec)

*Alfred-Pellan (Laval East)
*Honoré-Mercier (Anjou--Rivière-des-Prairies)
*Jeanne-Le Ber (Verdun--Saint-Henri)
*Louis-Hébert (Quebec West)
*Louis-Saint-Laurent (Quebec North)
*Marc-Aurèle-Fortin - (Laval--Thérèse-De Blainville)

It's even worse provincially.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 05:26:21 PM »

Sure; this sort of thing is always interesting Smiley

Agree on the Quebec names; it's hard to tell where a lot of ridings are there without looking on a map.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 05:38:05 PM »

Sure; this sort of thing is always interesting Smiley

Agree on the Quebec names; it's hard to tell where a lot of ridings are there without looking on a map.

I updated my post to reflect my changes.

Alfred-Pellan has to be the worst one, becuase it is so obviously Laval East (and it was). My uncle lives in that riding, and he told me he didnt even know who Alfred Pellan was (and I doubt very many people do)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 05:47:13 PM »

I'll do some for the Ottawa area as well...

Ottawa--Vanier should be Ottawa East--Vanier
Ottawa--Orléans should be Gloucester--Orléans
Nepean--Carleton should be Nepean--Carleton--Gloucester
Glengarry--Prescott--Russell should be Prescott--Russell--North Glengarry
Renfrew--Nipissing--Pembroke should be Renfrew--Algonquin
Pontiac (QC) should be Pontiac--Gatineau
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 09:51:32 PM »

Some more changes for Ontario:

Haliburton--Kawartha Lakes--Brock should be Haliburton and the Kawarthas
Durham could change back to Clarington--Scugog--Uxbridge
Chatham-Kent--Essex should be Chatham-Kent--Leamington
Elgin--Middlesex--London should be Elgin--Middlesex
Bruce--Grey--Owen Sound should be Bruce--Grey
Ancaster--Dundas--Flamborough--Westdale should be Wentworth West
Niagara Falls should be Niagara
Cambridge should be Cambridge--North Dumfries
Kitchener--Conestoga should change back to Kitchener--Wilmot--Wellesley--Woolwich
Oak Ridges--Markham should just be Oak Ridges
Toronto--Danforth should change to Jack Layton's suggestion, East York--Danforth--Riverdale or its former name Broadview--Greenwood
Nickel Belt should be Sudbury--West Nipissing--Killarney
Sudbury should be Surbury--Walden
Algoma--Manitoulin--Kapuskasing should be Algoma--Manitoulin--Cochrane--Manitouwadge
Timmins--James Bay should be Timiskaming--Cochrane--James Bay
Sault Ste. Marie should be Sault Ste. Marie--Algoma

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies