Moratorium on free-trade bills?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:39:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Moratorium on free-trade bills?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moratorium on free-trade bills?  (Read 2202 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:23:28 AM »

In light of the continuing volume of free trade legislation dealing with individual nations, the days and weeks of discussion, amendments and the use of the veto, I would urge the Senate to consider the prospect of a short term moratorium on all free-trade bills not yet on the Senate floor.

Such rapid expansion of our free-trade is the focus of much foreign and diplomatic interest and concern. It is important that we get these bills right and that we treat nations with an even and consistant hand, particularly as we are faced with the prospect of controversial discussions on free-trade with African nations (to be, rightly dealt with on a nation by nation basis) and the People’s Republic of China, both of which cannot plausably debated at the same time and may take weeks of  discussion. I applaud Senator Hawk for the constant application of the ‘Hawk Doctrine’ which takes on board many of my own foreign policy concerns. While it has proven controversial and not to everyones taste, I believe it is being applied fairly to each nation based on strict criteria linked with human rights and democracy yet still remaining flexible. Secondly, it of course frees time to debate other bills introduced to the Senate.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »

I applaud Senator Hawk for the constant application of the ‘Hawk Doctrine’ which takes on board many of my own foreign policy concerns. While it has proven controversial and not to everyones taste, I believe it is being applied fairly to each nation based on strict criteria linked with human rights and democracy yet still remaining flexible

I appreciate those supportive Smiley comments of my approach to free trade. While it's certainly not to everyone's tastes and I don't in the least think it controversial. I don't see anything wrong with free trade being a means to promote such progressive values as democracy, freedom and civil rights while simultaneously encouraging economic development and the benefits it brings

Firstly, there are those countries worthy of free trade period. I refer, or course, to the liberal democracies of the Western world whose political, and economic, conditions compare favorably with that of our own

Secondly, there are those countries, which although on good terms with Atlasia, where there human rights records are tenuous, who are worthy of free trade but with a principle that they commit themselves to becoming fully-functioning liberal democracies, with respect for political freedoms and civil rights. I appreciate that this is never going to happen over night but we must encourage it as a matter of principle

Thirdly, there are those countries with whom Atlasia should not be considering free trade with period. I refer, of course, to overtly hostile nations, many of which have an atrocious record as far as human rights are concerned. China might not be overtly hostile politically towards Atlasia any more but it is economically and its human rights records are atrocious

The 'Hawk Doctrine' is visionary in that it robustly espouses free trade as means of promoting such progressive values in addition to facilitating economic development. It is not protectionist, neither in essence nor in principle, but it risks becoming protectionist should the recalcitrant ever need to be brought to heel. And, ultimately, it is down to those trading partners (i.e. nations), subject to it, as to whether such penalties would be incurred. And I, for one, most sincerely hopes it never comes to that

And yes, I am inclined to think that free trade has been done to death by the Senate, of late. The Atlasian-South Korean Free Trade Bill evolved as the love-child born of a Greek tragedy and a Roman farce, in that it failed as a result of the President's veto after weeks of being obstructed

'Hawk'
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:37:22 PM »

I agree that we have passed a number of key economic agreements with countries around the world.  However, aside from a few countries in Latin America, the Middle East, and especially in Asia (think India, Singapore, and Malaysia), the other free trade agreements have been with countries that are of little or no consequence when it comes to Atlasian imports.

Therefore, rather than try to sign a free trade agreement with every country on the planet, I move that we turn to more pressing matters at home and abroad, such as passing a resolution on the Middle East conflict and addressing alternative forms of energy in the midst of skyrocketing oil prices.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2006, 06:04:03 PM by Maverick »

rather than try to sign a free trade agreement with every country on the planet, I move that we turn to more pressing matters at home and abroad, such as passing a resolution on the Middle East conflict and addressing alternative forms of energy in the midst of skyrocketing oil prices.

We already have, in the form of Sen. Jake's 'Comprehensive Energy Act for the Twenty-First Century', passed during the Eleventh Senate session.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 06:03:33 PM »

I must say I oppose this moratorium proposal.  I cannot think of any issue more pressing than considering removing tariffs on Dijibouti.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:23:15 PM »

I must say I oppose this moratorium proposal.  I cannot think of any issue more pressing than considering removing tariffs on Dijibouti.

I do hope the President is being sarchastic Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »

Naturally, Mr. Secretary Wink
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 06:32:54 PM »

Isn't it obvious?  Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 06:35:13 PM »

Yes, Hence Mr Smiley ----> Smiley (then again smileys may be genderless)

Isn't it obvious?  Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2006, 06:40:33 PM by Maverick »

rather than try to sign a free trade agreement with every country on the planet, I move that we turn to more pressing matters at home and abroad, such as passing a resolution on the Middle East conflict and addressing alternative forms of energy in the midst of skyrocketing oil prices.

We already have, in the form of Sen. Jake's 'Comprehensive Energy Act for the Twenty-First Century', passed during the Eleventh Senate session.

This isn't to say, though, that attempts to improve upon it cannot be made.  I like this legislation, and want to keep it, but you still have the option of expanding the use of nuclear fission power plants (which is going to be rather dicey, given those Greens who call themselves 'Democrats' who are in this particular senate session), increasing fuel economy standards in all new vehicles, and making investments into renewable energy technologies, among others.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies