Ross Perot and the 3rd Parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:58:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ross Perot and the 3rd Parties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ross Perot and the 3rd Parties  (Read 2643 times)
Republican06
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2006, 01:46:49 PM »

In 1992 and 1996 Ross Perot managed to recieve 19% and 8% of the vote. America was evidently very unsatisfied with the two parties in the 1990's. In 2000 Ralph Nader recived just 3% of the vote. Enought to give the election from Gore to Bush. However in 2004 he did not get hardly any votes. My poll question is what happened to the 3rd party agenda. Is America satified with the Republicans and Democratic party. As a political science major I feel that no American is a independent. If you care about politics you are either a Republican or a Democrat. My question for people on the forum is the following.

ARE YOU A INDEPENDENT
WHY DONT YOU PICK A PARTY
HAVE YOU EVER VOTED FOR A INDEPENDENT PEROT,NADER, OR ANDERSON

I LOVE THIS FORUM . I AM A AVID POLITICAL JUNKIE 
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 03:13:50 PM »

I have voted for plenty of alternative candidates.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »

To say that everyone who cares about politics is either a Republican or a Democrat is clearly wrong, as you will soon learn if you spend much time on this forum. Smiley I would say the nation as a whole is pretty much 1/3 Democrats, 1/3 Republicans, and 1/3 "everything else (independents and minor parties)". Most of the latter third end up voting for one of the major parties, mainly due to a lack of strong 3rd party candidates and also partially the desire to not "waste" their vote on someone who can't win.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:08:12 PM »

In 1992 and 1996 Ross Perot managed to recieve 19% and 8% of the vote. America was evidently very unsatisfied with the two parties in the 1990's. In 2000 Ralph Nader recived just 3% of the vote. Enought to give the election from Gore to Bush. However in 2004 he did not get hardly any votes. My poll question is what happened to the 3rd party agenda. Is America satified with the Republicans and Democratic party. As a political science major I feel that no American is a independent. If you care about politics you are either a Republican or a Democrat. My question for people on the forum is the following.

ARE YOU A INDEPENDENT
WHY DONT YOU PICK A PARTY
HAVE YOU EVER VOTED FOR A INDEPENDENT PEROT,NADER, OR ANDERSON

I LOVE THIS FORUM . I AM A AVID POLITICAL JUNKIE 

What happened to the "3rd party agenda" is quite simple.  The nation was facing an important question:  Do we keep Bush and support what he's trying to accomplish or do we support Kerry and hope that there is a change.  Most people who vote third party felt that their desired result would be at risk, so they backed the candidate which they felt needed their support.  Anyways, Nader sucks! Tongue

Now, as far as your questions go:
ARE YOU A INDEPENDENT:  Yes, I am.
WHY DONT YOU PICK A PARTY:  I left a party ages ago because I like freedom of thought.  Why would I ever go back to one?
HAVE YOU EVER VOTED FOR A INDEPENDENT PEROT,NADER, OR ANDERSON:  Yes, I have.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 11:19:06 PM »

MODU, which party were you a member of? Republican? Reform?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 11:25:45 PM »

1. Yes.

2. Because I do not feel strongly enough about either party to identify myself as a member.  I don't like being associated with the actions of a party.

3. I have never voted for anyone, period.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:01:50 AM »

MODU, which party were you a member of? Republican? Reform?

Republican.  I supported Perot's Independent run (before there was a Reform party).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 07:20:30 AM »

To say that everyone who cares about politics is either a Republican or a Democrat is clearly wrong, as you will soon learn if you spend much time on this forum. Smiley I would say the nation as a whole is pretty much 1/3 Democrats, 1/3 Republicans, and 1/3 "everything else (independents and minor parties)". Most of the latter third end up voting for one of the major parties, mainly due to a lack of strong 3rd party candidates and also partially the desire to not "waste" their vote on someone who can't win.
Defining "independent" as "having no preference whatsoever between Republicans and Democrats", though ... he's more or less right.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »

ARE YOU A INDEPENDENT - yes
WHY DONT YOU PICK A PARTY - I left the Libertarian party in 2004 and haven't joined anything since, I like being able to vote my conscience and not have someone tell me I'm not being "loyal"
HAVE YOU EVER VOTED FOR A INDEPENDENT PEROT,NADER, OR ANDERSON wouls have voted for Perot in '92, but wasn't old enough
1996 write-in Buchanan
2000 Howard Phillips
2004 Michael Peroutka
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 06:49:39 PM »

Defining a country of 270 million into two ideological groupings is one of the stupidest things in politics, IMHO. No other large democratic nation is as dominated by two parties as we are, although some, like Australia, are close.

I would not morn the day when either there are no Democrats or Republicans or where they get a combined total of 20% of the vote.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »

ARE YOU A INDEPENDENT - yes
WHY DONT YOU PICK A PARTY - I left the Libertarian party in 2004 and haven't joined anything since, I like being able to vote my conscience and not have someone tell me I'm not being "loyal"
HAVE YOU EVER VOTED FOR A INDEPENDENT PEROT,NADER, OR ANDERSON wouls have voted for Perot in '92, but wasn't old enough
1996 write-in Buchanan
2000 Howard Phillips
2004 Michael Peroutka

Just out of curiosity... why did you choose "other" for your avatar instead of "independent" or even Constitution Party (given your support for Howard Phillips and Michael Peroutka)? I am not trying to start a flame war or anything like it... I am just curious. Thanx!
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 02:47:47 AM »

Just out of curiosity... why did you choose "other" for your avatar instead of "independent" or even Constitution Party (given your support for Howard Phillips and Michael Peroutka)? I am not trying to start a flame war or anything like it... I am just curious. Thanx!

I like the look of the Orange instead of the Green.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 08:20:04 AM »

1) No.
2) I have, it took awhile. After attending the Texas Democratic Convention I have determined that I really liked the way the party was heading, at least in my state.
3) I'll be voting in 2008 for the first time (It sucks, Ill turn 18 just days after this midterm). If Hillary Clinton or Russ Feingold is the nominee, I'll vote Libertarain.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies