Dem Primary Dates for 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:34:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Dem Primary Dates for 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dem Primary Dates for 2008  (Read 2286 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2006, 06:46:14 PM »

Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina will be the first four states to hold primaries in 2008 according to Fox News this evening. The ordering is:

Iowa : January 14th
Nevada: January 19th
New Hampshire: January 22nd
South Carolina: January 29th

To which I say, have a look at this.

Average January temperatures in:
Des Moines : 21°F
Las Vegas: 47°F
Concord: 21°F
Charleston: 50°F

If that's not enough to give Democratic party workers the flu I don't know what is!
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 06:50:27 PM »

Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina will be the first four states to hold primaries in 2008 according to Fox News this evening.

Wrong. Iowa and Nevada will hold caucuses and New Hampshire and South Carolina will hold primaries. Two different things.

NH is still the first primary. Don't buy the Fox News spin. In fact, why would you watch Fox News in the first place?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:11:41 PM »

Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina will be the first four states to hold primaries in 2008 according to Fox News this evening.

Wrong. Iowa and Nevada will hold caucuses and New Hampshire and South Carolina will hold primaries. Two different things.

NH is still the first primary. Don't buy the Fox News spin. In fact, why would you watch Fox News in the first place?

Because the others such as CNN or MSNBC are very liberal and throw a liberal spin on every single news story, whereas Fox News is fair and balanced and give both sides a fair shot.  The other two bash Bush anytime they can.  We need news stations who will stand behind this country and not bash the administration just because they hate his guts.  They don't have to like his policies, but they cannot dislike him, and they HAVE to give him the same favorable coverage as they would Clinton or Gore or Kerry.  Fox News rightfully claims fair and balanced.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »

Yes, the DNC today ratified this calendar (which had been approved by their rules committee last month) today.  The GOP calendar will probably be the same, except with Nevada coming later in the schedule.  Then a week after SC, on February 5th, there will probably be about 9 or 10 states holding primaries/caucuses for both parties.  I think there's a good chance that, after those first-week-of Feb. primaries, each party will have one candidate with enough victories that their momentum will be unstoppable, and we'll pretty much know who the nominees are.  That's what happened last time around with Kerry winning 5 out of 7 February 3rd primaries (following victories in both IA and NH).  By that point, it was pretty much over.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:20:33 PM »

Does anybody know if Oklahoma will retain its first-week in February primary like it had in 2004?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 08:25:23 PM »

Only place to get actual news, everything else is spun to the left, that's why Fox seems so far to the right
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 08:32:23 PM »

Does anybody know if Oklahoma will retain its first-week in February primary like it had in 2004?

It's not listed on this page that has a list of all states that have moved their primaries for 2008:

http://www.gwu.edu/~action/2008/chrnothp08.html

So my working assumption is that it'll still be scheduled for the first week of February.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 12:33:56 AM »

What would be if Mark Warner narrowly wins Iowa in front of Hillary and then loses in Nevada ? Everything would be looking to NH then, right ?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 01:11:14 AM »

Only place to get actual news, everything else is spun to the left, that's why Fox seems so far to the right

I disagree.  Fox is very far to the right (CNN is to the left-I don't watch MSNBC that much).  However my opinion on all of these media outlets:  If you don't like them, don't watch them!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 02:54:59 AM »

Because the others such as CNN or MSNBC are very liberal and throw a liberal spin on every single news story, whereas Fox News is fair and balanced and give both sides a fair shot.  The other two bash Bush anytime they can.  We need news stations who will stand behind this country and not bash the administration just because they hate his guts.  They don't have to like his policies, but they cannot dislike him, and they HAVE to give him the same favorable coverage as they would Clinton or Gore or Kerry.  Fox News rightfully claims fair and balanced.

MSNBC liberal??? What please.

Chris Matthews spends much more time bashing the Dems than he does Bush, and one of their other biggest names is A FORMER CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN.  Olberman I will agree with is to the left, but they tend to have a nalnce in their hosts some left leaning some right.

CNN may lean towards the left, but they are surley not far left.  Cooper is very fair.  King is a liberal, but lets both sides get an equal shake, generally softball questions to both sides and rarley talks politics anyway.  Blitzer is fair to both sides, Cafferty tends to hammer the GOP more than the Dems, but he has hammered both dies and generally goes after the big news stories and their has been more bad news stroeis for the GOP.  Dobbs is an out & out populist & anti immigration advocate who has slammed both sides

Fox is no question far to the right.  They are in no way shape of form Fair & Balanced.  their entire lineup is basically full of conservatives, cavuto, gibson, no matter what O'Reilly says he is a conservative Republican.  Hannity absolutley controls the HANNITY & colmes show.  FoxNews is not news all it basically is, is RNC talking points.  hell the head of the network Roger Allies is a former member of Bush's campaign & advising staff.  That would be like Cavelle or Bagala having control over the CNN news divisioon, which they do not have.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 02:59:20 AM »

MSNBC is whatever they think will get them the biggest ratings at that time.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »

We need news stations who will stand behind this country and not bash the administration just because they hate his guts. 

No we don't. We need news stations that will look into everything government does and never take its word for anything. If it turns out the government (for once) isn't exaggerating threats or falsifying information, fine, but the worst thing the media can do is stand pat and let the government decieve the American people.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 08:31:32 AM »

Because the others such as CNN or MSNBC are very liberal and throw a liberal spin on every single news story, whereas Fox News is fair and balanced and give both sides a fair shot. 

Good lord man, I don't even know how to respond to such a ridiculous comment.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 08:52:57 AM »

Because the others such as CNN or MSNBC are very liberal and throw a liberal spin on every single news story, whereas Fox News is fair and balanced and give both sides a fair shot. 

Start w/, Fox News consistently has the number one ratings for a reason.  CNN is so far to the left they make Howard Dean look like Mel Gibson.  MSNBC is liberal alone on the fact that they have Keith Olbermann, who as I said before is the John Kerry of cable news, nothing of his own, just a whole lot of bashing O'Reilly.  The people Fox has other than Hannity and maybe Gibson aren't that conservative.  O'Reilly is a lean conservative, but hates the far on both sides.  Greta is a liberal.  Cavuto worked for Carter.  Brit Hume is a Republican not but really a conservative.  It would do a lot for MSNBC if they replaced Olbermann, he is bringing down the network's good name.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 08:55:27 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2006, 10:10:25 AM by Nym90 »

It would do a lot for MSNBC if they replaced Olbermann, he is bringing down the network's good name.

He has the best ratings on the network!

Olbermann's ratings have been trending up for the past year and O'Reilly's are going down each month.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 09:01:29 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2006, 10:10:46 AM by Nym90 »

Start w/, Fox News consistently has the number one ratings for a reason.

Because it's the only station conservatives watch.

CNN is so far to the left they make Howard Dean look like Mel Gibson.
CNN is quite conservative actually.  They are the ones who called Ned Lamont the "Al-Qaeda" candidate.

The people Fox has other than Hannity and maybe Gibson aren't that conservative.

The whole station is hard-right conservative! The only liberal is Alan Colmes, and he is a pussy!

O'Reilly is a lean conservative, but hates the far on both sides.

O'Reilly is a far-right conservative.

This may or may not be true, but she doesn't even report on politics, so who cares?

Yeah, as an intern when he was 19. Cavuto is a far-right Republican as well. Do you hear the crap that comes out of his mouth? 

Brit Hume is a Republican not but really a conservative. 

Brit Humes is extremely conservative, and exists mainly to advance right-wing propaganda. Like Hannity, he gets his talking points straight from Karl Rove.

How can you posssibly watch Fox News and not realize that it is the official propaganda arm of the Republican party? Are you that heavily in denial?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 09:10:09 AM »

I sit there in wonder how any station is able to get away with the PANDERING it give the Bush Admin. It's run by Republicans, It has Republicans/Conservatives as the vast majority of either its hosts or commentators and the liberals they have on are either hyperemotional (see Susan Estridge (who I love but still...)) or completely useless (Alan Combes).

It's not the role of the media in a free society to make people feel better about their government - that was Joseph Goebbels job. Propaganda is propaganda.

Why do you think all the major administration interviews happen on FNC, not on MSNBC or CNN? Because FNC has been the Bush Administration's mouthpiece from the beginning and they don't have the balls to face up to the media who aren't going to be gentle on them. Mind you, given how pissweak the media was from 9/11 to Katrina it wouldnt've matter where they went. But FINALLY the media did what they are supposed to do, they questioned, they investigated - and what happened? The Bush numbers dropped.
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »

I watch both CNN and Fox and do the balancing myself.  CNN is insanely liberal and anyone trying to convince you otherwise is either blind and deaf or an insane liberal.  Same with Fox except conservative, obviously.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 10:09:16 AM »

All media outlets are whatever they think will get them the biggest ratings at that time.

Fixed. Smiley
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 11:29:38 AM »

What would be if Mark Warner narrowly wins Iowa in front of Hillary and then loses in Nevada ? Everything would be looking to NH then, right ?

Well, yes, but NH alone wouldn't necessarily decide it.  My feeling is that if a candidate manages to win 3 of these first four primaries/caucuses in a row, that will probably give them an unstoppable level of momentum, and they'll go all the way.  If no one does that, I still think these first four contests will narrow the field down to two viable contenders, and if one of them wins at least 6 of the 9 or 10 February 5th primaries, *that* will provide them with unstoppable momentum.  Yes, there's a good chance that we'll know (with about 90% certainty) who the two major party nominees are by the first week of February 2008.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 11:43:20 AM »

MSNBC is not a liberal news network. Just look at their line-up.
4PM-TUCKER:Tucker Carlson is a moderate republican who opposes the Iraq war but basically agrees with the right on every thing else.

5PM-HARDBALL:Chris Matthews is no liberal. He isnt far right either though. He admits he voted for Bush in 2000.

6PM-MORE TUCKER

7PM-MORE HARDBALL

8PM-COUNTDOWN:Now here is the only liberal on 24/7 news with some balls. He calls out O'Rielly and Hannity and I love him for it. He is not afraid of people saying he is a liberal.

9PM-SC:Joe Scarborough was a former REPUBLICAN congressman.

MSNBC:Liberal my a$$
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »

Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina will be the first four states to hold primaries in 2008 according to Fox News this evening. The ordering is:

Iowa : January 14th
Nevada: January 19th
New Hampshire: January 22nd
South Carolina: January 29th

To which I say, have a look at this.

Average January temperatures in:
Des Moines : 21°F
Las Vegas: 47°F
Concord: 21°F
Charleston: 50°F

If that's not enough to give Democratic party workers the flu I don't know what is!

In answer to the actual question "Why do I watch Fox News?", the answer is: "Because on Sky Digital Fox News is the ONLY American News Channel I get!"

I get CNN International (not USA), NBC News (not a 24/7 news channel), ABC World News Tonight (on too late for me to watch) and CBS News (not a 24/7 news channel)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »

CNN is insanely liberal and anyone trying to convince you otherwise is either blind and deaf or an insane liberal. 
In the traditional sense of "muddled-thought do-goody libertarian nationalist", this is quite accurate. Grin
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »

Start w/, Fox News consistently has the number one ratings for a reason.  CNN is so far to the left they make Howard Dean look like Mel Gibson.  MSNBC is liberal alone on the fact that they have Keith Olbermann, who as I said before is the John Kerry of cable news, nothing of his own, just a whole lot of bashing O'Reilly.  The people Fox has other than Hannity and maybe Gibson aren't that conservative.  O'Reilly is a lean conservative, but hates the far on both sides.  Greta is a liberal.  Cavuto worked for Carter.  Brit Hume is a Republican not but really a conservative.  It would do a lot for MSNBC if they replaced Olbermann, he is bringing down the network's good name.

O'Reilly isn't a lean conservative, he is a pure conservative.  Might not be a 100% RNC spew bath like Hannity & Gibson are, but he is still a conservative Republican.  Hume & Cavuto are also very conservative and basically spew the same RNC spin that Hannity & Cavuto do, and Gretta is not a liberal.

Regarding MSNBC Olberman is a liberal granted, but he is ONE PERSON.  Scaraborugh is a former GOP Congressman, so their is plenty of balance there.  You also have Matthews who slams both sides, and Tucker Carlson who is against the Iraq War, but is a ture & true Republican.

As far as CNN they are for the most part a straight up news network, not as opinonated as the other networks (outside of Dobbs & the Cafferty file segments.

The 3 major cable news networks you have one that leans left, but surley is not far left in CNN.   You have MSNBC which has hosts of both sides and generally is pretty balanced.  And you have Fox News which is very conservative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies