"Why doesn't America believe in evolution?" - NewScientist.com
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:25:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "Why doesn't America believe in evolution?" - NewScientist.com
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: "Why doesn't America believe in evolution?" - NewScientist.com  (Read 17677 times)
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »

Because we sold out our free will for a little comfort.

Can you explain TCash101?  I'm trying to figure out what your statement means in relation to the question.

The little comfort is religion.  he is saying many Americans don't examine the facts and use free will to make decision, but instead go for the comfort they get from religion's simple answers.

TCash can correct if I'm wrong, but that's what I got.

JCar is somewhat right. Americans prefer religion's easy answers and the comforts of believing that an omnipotent, benevolent being is "in charge." I didn't mean to say that "Americans don't examine the facts." And perhaps "sold out" is a little unfair.

That could also explain the prevalence of wacko conspiracy theories.  It's actually more comforting to believe that bad things that happen require a large appartus to plan and execute, than to believe that they can be totally random.
Oh yes, that's certainly true.

I used to think it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'what if life *were* fair, and all of the terrible things that happen to us came because we really deserved them?' Now I take great comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.   -- From Babylon 5
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies